Washington Draw System

txhtr333

Jul 9, 2015
So someone give me the rundown for the Washington NR draw system for elk. What type of point system? Reasonable draw odds? Can you purchase bonus/preference points without paying the full tag amount? This is one of the states that is hard to find info on

bdan68

Nov 13, 2013
Rochester, Washington
It's not really worth it for a non-resident. You have to buy an elk tag just to apply for the special permit hunts. That will cost over $500. Odds of drawning are very low. It would only be worth it if you were going to hunt the general season, in my opinion. I live in Washington, and I didn't even buy an elk tag this year.

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
Washington has a bonus points system. To put in your have to buy a elk tag for either the west or the east. The draw odds are poor but there are alot of different types of hunts that are very good but be prepared to wait along time.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Do not apply in WA as a NR unless you plan to hunt the general tag you have to buy. For what they have to offer when you do actually draw which could be a long time your money is much better spent in other states. Honestly its hardly worth it to me as a resident.

txhtr333

Jul 9, 2015
Well I am 23 and have a goal of taking a bull in every state, so I am starting the process now of building my points up to be able to draw the tags to achieve this. I think that Washington will probably be one of the states that I just want to check off the list, so I would really be looking to draw the easiest tag that provides a decent chance of taking a legal bull.

bdan68

Nov 13, 2013
Rochester, Washington
Your best bet would probably be to hunt the general season in the west half of the state. It's tough hunting but you can hunt for branch antler bull elk every year, no draw required. The east side of the state is open only for spike bulls during the general season.

The other option would be to try drawing an archery permit for the east side. They have reasonable odds but still you should expect to wait at least ten years. A permit for rifle season, I'd say plan on waiting 20 to 30 years. Yeah, not really worth it. It would be cheaper to pay for a guided hunt.

Shooter

Feb 22, 2011
Washington
If you want to kill a bull in WA just to check it off the list. The best bet would be hunting the westside of the state during archery season. The dates are good and there are a lot of elk. The only draw back is the brush that you have to deal with.

Eastfork

Feb 14, 2016
I'm must say washington has some excellent bulls and lots of good hunting. It might take a bit to draw but there are great hunts here. Like said before the west side is all general, but you got scout way more........very thick forest. Not much glassing..the east side is mostly all draw for branched bulls, but if you just want a spike then its your best opportunity! !!!