Wasatch LE Elk

bowedark

Feb 7, 2016
Wasatch LE Elk hunt
I will be camping off the forest roads in the Wasatch area.

Are there larger pull offs and pull back into areas for small stock trailer/truck /camper?

Looking for basic info on the area as unfamiliar with the country.

Drinking water? Do public campgrounds have water ? Are there gas & grocery stores? Grazing, certified hay & water in most areas for riding stock if needed? & camping very close by?

How tough is it to get around, roads on most ridge & valley? Roads washed out need 4 wheeler? or hiking & riding trails only?

The tag gods have been good to me this year. Giving me this multi season tag only after 17 years now! My eyes are not what they once were and bad knees @ 69. This will be solo hunt I plan making the best of it. Wasatch area end of July will be making my home until I find my bull.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I am presuming that you are talking about the Utah Wasatch LE hunt. I don't think that there are any others.

There are camping spots all over the place on the Wasatch. Find a wide spot and pull off the road and set up camp. Very few public campgrounds up there and the ones that are there may or may not have water. Gas and grocery stores will be back down on the main roads, Provo, Orem, Heber, Duschene, what area are you planning on hunting? The Wasatch is a big area.

There are some deep canyons where the elk like to hide and the rest of it is canyons and ridges. A ATV is a good way to get around up there. Also if it rains park your truck and leave it until it dries out. Most of the roads are clay base and will quickly turn into a skating rink when wet and it doesn't take much to do it to them. I haven't been up there is quite a while but most of the main roads are good as far as traveling. If you take a ATV you can only ride it on designated roads, no off roading and if you are caught they don't play around. Check with the Forest Service as far as travel maps.

Reactions: bowedark

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
A little update for you.

The USFS has closed the northern half of the Sheep Creek to Strawberry Reservoir road until November 30 for road work and paving. The southern half north of HWY6 will be kept open while they repave it up to Indian Ridge where the closure starts.

Diamond Fork Canyon off of HWY6 will stay open

bowedark

Feb 7, 2016
got sick first week of scouting, I had to go back home in Arkansas for a surgery....,return the tag got my money back my points plus point for last year

lot of work with camper 4wheeler & a sure footed mule

bowedark

Feb 7, 2016
O l’m in the draw this year , glutton for punishment try again lol I be 70 this time

bowedark

Feb 7, 2016
Looking at the draw statistics in my applied group this year same unit 18 years points numbers jumped up 2 knocked me out of the point pool as it been said a blind squirrel finds nut once in a while I drew that tag again in the random draw out of 109 it’s amazing to look at the odds and how things work out so I guess I was meant to have this tag now if I can find a bull

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Looking at the draw statistics in my applied group this year same unit 18 years points numbers jumped up 2 knocked me out of the point pool as it been said a blind squirrel finds nut once in a while I drew that tag again in the random draw out of 109 it’s amazing to look at the odds and how things work out so I guess I was meant to have this tag now if I can find a bull
Good luck, I hope you do.