Utah Antelope

Alpha Male

Feb 28, 2014
New Jersey
hello im interested in getting information about how to build up points for antelope in utah. Is the process similar to Wyoming ? Im familiar with their preferance point system. Ive already done a search a lot of old posts came up. Is Utah worth it or should
i give Colorado a try.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
First you need to purchase a hunting license in order to put in for the draw or a bonus point.

If you wait until the last week of the application period you can use the license for this year and next year but next year you will need to apply early.

Utah works on a hybrid bonus point system. If there are 2 or more tags for the hunt they will put one into the general draw and one will go to the max point pool. So you can draw a tag the first time that you put in. It is slim but it happens every year.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The one problem with Colorado is that most of the antelope are in the eastern (plains) part of the state and it's almost all private. There are place that charge a trespass fee, but you'll have to do some research .

Reactions: HuskyMusky

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I personally would just stick with Wyoming unless you are also buying licenses in Colorado that qualify for the draw or point purchases.

If you just plan on collecting points you will be in it for the long haul and quite a few dollars on licenses that you won't use unless you plan on doing other hunts in Utah or Colorado.

Alpha Male

Feb 28, 2014
New Jersey
The one problem with Colorado is that most of the antelope are in the eastern (plains) part of the state and it's almost all private. There are place that charge a trespass fee, but you'll have to do some research .
thanks for the quick reply CC what are some good units in the eastern part of the state to look at and how many points do they take ? Im open to paying a nominal tresspass if i can go next year.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
You really need to stick with Wyoming for antelope.

In Colorado you are required to purchase a qualifying license to be eligible for the draw or to purchase a preference point. So this will run you $84. For better units you are going to wait at least 10 years, $84x10=$840 + $100 in application fees for a total of $940+ a little bit more and that is if you can draw a tag in 10 years.

Wyoming is cheaper in that all you have to pay is for a point if you want to build points for a better unit. At least that is the way it is right now but it can change quickly.

If you want to hunt antelope in Colorado in 2022 you would need to purchase a land owner tag. For this think $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
There are units that don't require any points but I doubt that anyone would recommend any of them.

If you are really interested in hunting Colorado after all of that I suggest that you call a Hunt Planner at 303-291-7526 at the Colorado Parks and Wildlife office and talk to them along with downloading and reading the Big Game Guide Book which should be out in a couple of weeks along with online. You can also take a look at the 2020 book online on their web site.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
CO has better antelope IMO.
if you're applying in UT for other game, then you might as well tack on antelope, but to specifically apply for UT for antelope, I'd pass on that.

I personally am looking to hunt CO antelope sometime in the future, but like another post stated, it seems most of the antelope land is private, and or the good public antelope units take quite a few points....sometimes A LOT of points!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
CO has better antelope IMO.
if you're applying in UT for other game, then you might as well tack on antelope, but to specifically apply for UT for antelope, I'd pass on that.

I personally am looking to hunt CO antelope sometime in the future, but like another post stated, it seems most of the antelope land is private, and or the good public antelope units take quite a few points....sometimes A LOT of points!
Took me 15 points to draw may last Colorado antelope. Unit almost all public land.

Reactions: HuskyMusky

bux4brainz

Jul 18, 2017
Utah
I totally agree with Jim. There are some pretty good pronghorn units in WY a nonresident can draw with 7 or less points & getting a point isn't very expensive. Wyoming has some excellent pronghorn hunting has put tons in the record books. Some units in the southwest corner that have plenty of public land.

El Serio

Feb 1, 2018
As a resident I've hunted several Utah units and had fun, but there is a reason it isn't known as a destination antelope hunt.

The population is relatively small (I'd bet that there are units in WY with more antelope than the state of Utah)

Utah isn't known for big bucks

Finally it would be many years of applying and very costly (buying a hunting license every year) to get into the point range (10+) where most non-residents can draw tags.

The east Colorado trespass fee idea may be cheaper in the long run and certainly quicker.

If you are willing to pay trespass fees, you might also consider eastern Wyoming as well. Many of those units have minimal public access and are thus easy to draw because you have to pay a landowner to hunt

Reactions: Alpha Male

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Took me 15 points to draw may last Colorado antelope. Unit almost all public land.
How'd you do? how was the hunt? quality, etc...?

I think I'd probably end up paying a trespass fee.... not really looking to pay for an outfitter, but have no insights on where etc... yet.

elktaker

Nov 28, 2015
Umm...I live in Utah and other than an occasional doe tag, I apply for Wyoming and NV (might toss in NM every once and awhile).

if you are apply to Utah as a non res you should be apply for deer, elk and whatever once in a lifetime hunt. I would not pay for a license to apply just for pronghorn.