Use 3 pts or wait til I hit 5 or 6 points?

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Three guys collecting points, want a decent hunt - not a trophy hunt but a 3 old buddies getting out to hunt without headaches and shooting "any" antelopes.

Do we go in 2022 or wait until 2025?

I haven't done the research yet - just throwing it out there.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Three guys collecting points, want a decent hunt - not a trophy hunt but a 3 old buddies getting out to hunt without headaches and shooting "any" antelopes.

Do we go in 2022 or wait until 2025?

I haven't done the research yet - just throwing it out there.
Three points doesn't buy you what it once did. The goal posts are definitely moving. What you can draw this year with 2 points may be the exact same hunt you will be able to draw with 5 in 2025. As Mallard mentions above, a lot of people will be dumping points this season due to anticipated changes for 2022 or 2023.

In your shoes I would evaluate draw odds after this years drawing and then make a decision. May be best to apply for doe tags in 2022 while you build more points but that will be your call.

Reactions: buckbull and Rich M

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Not sure the changes will affect your pronghorn draw but go ahead and panic.
Unless they change the game and stop rolling our under subscribed areas into the NR draw, the NR pronghorn draw may not be affected that much.
If residents can get the commission to change that process then yes your odds will change.
I would look at Special draw licenses with your 3 PP and don't overlook Type 2 tags.

Reactions: Rich M

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I've been chasing a unit for a few years. Every year the amount of points that are required go up to where I am just under the amount of points needed to draw.

So if you really want to draw a tag you may need to find a unit that takes a point or two less than what you have now.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I agree with Jim about using your points, and generally make sure I have at least one more point than was required to draw the previous year. Even that wasn't enough for 3 years running in CO, but has kept me in tags 11+ times in WY. The antelope area that I last drew for bucks in WY took 5 pts. now sits at 6, but I have gone back there for does 3 years running and the numbers of antelope have dropped precipitously. Based on your criteria, I would "burn-em".

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks, guys.

You-all are confirming my fears. It seems like either we "go now" on lower quality land or we wait another 5+ years.

Doesn't seem right that WY is gonna change the process. The little whiney boys getting heard? Catered to? I'm seeing the 90/10 split idea, is there anything else that's proposed for change?

I wanted 2 more antelope hunts but will be happy with one. Could go back to my original unit and "just shoot" one - might even be able to get a doe tag too. Kinda funny how well you can learn a hunting area in a few days. Just doesn't seem like a fun hunt to me.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Thanks, guys.

You-all are confirming my fears. It seems like either we "go now" on lower quality land or we wait another 5+ years.

Doesn't seem right that WY is gonna change the process. The little whiney boys getting heard? Catered to? I'm seeing the 90/10 split idea, is there anything else that's proposed for change?

I wanted 2 more antelope hunts but will be happy with one. Could go back to my original unit and "just shoot" one - might even be able to get a doe tag too. Kinda funny how well you can learn a hunting area in a few days. Just doesn't seem like a fun hunt to me.
Rich,

The reality is the 90/10, if it passes, isn't going to impact antelope much at all. However, fear of the impact will make a lot of people burn their points. I expect to see point dumps for the next several years, regardless of any changes. The supply just can't meet current demand so hunts are going to get spaced out further and further apart for residents and non-residents alike. If you don't mind paying extra, wy-tex had a good point above about applying in the special. Might not be a bad idea to consider.

I'm glad to help in you are looking at southern Wyoming areas. Shoot me a pm if questions come up.

Reactions: Mnbogboy

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Rich,

The reality is the 90/10, if it passes, isn't going to impact antelope much at all. However, fear of the impact will make a lot of people burn their points. I expect to see point dumps for the next several years, regardless of any changes. The supply just can't meet current demand so hunts are going to get spaced out further and further apart for residents and non-residents alike. If you don't mind paying extra, wy-tex had a good point above about applying in the special. Might not be a bad idea to consider.

I'm glad to help in you are looking at southern Wyoming areas. Shoot me a pm if questions come up.
Fear is a strong driver.

I will PM you - Thanks.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Right now there isn't anything out there that says that Wyoming is going to change the process or start charging more for tags. But with the last little legislature push there may be a lot out there that will start cashing in points before something actually happens.

But it isn't any different in any other state. It is as they say, there is one thing that is constant and that is change.

Reactions: marcusvdk

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Right now there isn't anything out there that says that Wyoming is going to change the process or start charging more for tags. But with the last little legislature push there may be a lot out there that will start cashing in points before something actually happens.

But it isn't any different in any other state. It is as they say, there is one thing that is constant and that is change.
Very true.

I've only been in the western game for a short while - remember other proposals for WY and other states. "They never pass" - and that's true until they do.

Reactions: Mnbogboy

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
When applying for a "Special" tag, make sure that you look over the statistics for that unit for the last few years. You may be surprised to find that paying the extra $ doesn't give you much better odds. That was true for a deer unit and an antelope unit that I was going to apply for last year, but had to switch to another area.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
3 old guys.... :)

consider going with the special tag.... yeah it costs more....but with those 3 pts it might be like having 5pts now.

Lots of options with 3-6pts for antelope imo.

sounds like you may just want to find a unit with big blocks of public land so you don't have many headaches hunting...

good luck! keep us posted with results.

Reactions: Mnbogboy and Rich M

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
The whiney boys getting catered to are residents. Good luck on your hunt.
The push is on for more LQ tags for residents and the price hike for NR will probably happen. Thank your friends at the Outfitters Association.
If we as residents get our way your odds will change for pronghorn as we want all those unapplied for resident tags rolled into the leftover draw, not the NR draw.
When you start calling residents names you lose valuable allies in your quest for fair allotments.

Reactions: Trapper62 and BKC

Alan Leone

Jan 19, 2021
Please don't blame the Wyoming residents for price changes or available tags, we certainly aren't the only ones. Like a lot of states we have a high number of outfitters that cater to NR and residents that can afford their fees and pay landowners locking up private and public lands from residents and NR alike. The only ones winning here are the outfitters and they will do everything they can to keep it that way.

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
Id say go now , i went on my first hunt this year and cashed in 7 points. If i had it to over again i would have went years ago.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I see the NR and the You Tube personas as the whiney boys. They deserve this or that - all without paying taxes on the lands, etc.

My hunts are limited and never were many. I follow the older ways of the eastern hunter - if you want, you go a time or two and enjoy it. That's all i ever wanted. Never felt entitled to go every year and hunt primo spots every year just cause.

Last edited:
Reactions: BKC