USDA bans import of harvested game birds from Canada

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Oh man. I have a buddy that goes up there for a month every fall chasing ducks. I bet he is livid.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Many years ago when there was an outbreak of Newcastle disease in chickens, we could only bring cooked quail & pheasant meat back from Mexico. We hunted Mexico & Baja a lot for quail & pheasants and we spent a lot of evenings around our campfire cooking meat and getting it on ice so we could bring it home.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Like they won’t migrate here anyway…
Exactly,

I would venture it is pretty easy to prove a dead bird in a cooler is tremendously less likely to pass a disease than one flying down from Canada. It is absolutely ridiculous to pass this ban. It doesn't affect me directly but I wanted to pass the word because this isn't the first or the last time our government has tried to stop the transport of game.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Exactly,

I would venture it is pretty easy to prove a dead bird in a cooler is tremendously less likely to pass a disease than one flying down from Canada. It is absolutely ridiculous to pass this ban. It doesn't affect me directly but I wanted to pass the word because this isn't the first or the last time our government has tried to stop the transport of game.
Wait until you read about an article covering attacks on Pittman Robertson that I am about to post...

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
I got an email today saying it has been revised. Basically, the head, neck, viscera, feet, one wing, feathers, and skin have to be removed. Only one wing with feathers for ID of species attached to the skinless carcass in sealed bags inside a sealed container can cross. It must be frozen or chilled. The way I read it, if you want to get one mounted it must be finished before crossing. That's what the gist of the email said.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I got an email today saying it has been revised. Basically, the head, neck, viscera, feet, one wing, feathers, and skin have to be removed. Only one wing with feathers for ID of species attached to the skinless carcass in sealed bags inside a sealed container can cross. It must be frozen or chilled. The way I read it, if you want to get one mounted it must be finished before crossing. That's what the gist of the email said.
That's improvement I guess. At least a guy can bring home meat to make jerky lol. It still makes no sense.

JaffH_iii

Apr 3, 2022
I'm playing golf with a Canadian using this. He, too, is a hunter. He also claims that disease is less likely to be transmitted by a hunted bird than one flying down from Canada. Passing this prohibition is completely absurd, in my view.

Last edited:

bowman340

Nov 15, 2019
Montana
outdoorproductguide.com
Now the question is, why would they release the first portion other than to mess with people?

Reactions: Rich M