Upcoming Montan Hunt With Daughter

Samson

Mar 7, 2018
Good Morning guys and gals. I am new to this site but hear people speak very highly of it. I am taking my 15 year old daughter to northeastern Montana from 11/11/18 to 11/18/18 for a Mule deer hunt. We are from Pa. and she has never harvested a buck. I would really like to see her succeed this year. Looking for places to go around Glasgow Mt. We will be staying in a Hotel in downtown Glasgow. I have hunted around the Cornwell Ranch in the past but only for whitetail. Any suggestions on where to look for a decent buck? We are both fairly healthy and don't mind walking in several miles. I let her know we will probably have to pack the animal out if we are lucky enough to harvest one. I've heard that the bigger bucks are south of Rt 2 but not as plentiful?? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
Good luck! Welcome to the forum, share some of your stories and advice and info will start swaping faster. I hope your daughter scores!

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
Wish I could help you with that area. Contact the Montana FWP and get a name of biologist and warden or two in that area and give them a call. Ask about block management areas, state, federal, and BLM land in the area, and maybe a tip or two about ranchers that would let you hunt. Best of luck.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I have never hunted there, but have hunted the SE corner. I got a list of "Block Management" properties that were enrolled with Montana game and fish. Most of the better ones were already booked up with people who had hunted with them before. I finally found a rancher, with 10K acres and a four bedroom house that he rented to us for $100 a day. We had the place to ourselves for a week. He had told us the deer hunting wasn't as good as other properties. I'd like to see what other places were like because we had plenty of deer to hunt and it was a total blast. We took 4 bucks for 5 hunters and the one who didn't get one had several opportunities.

There is nothing more fun than helping your daughter get an animal. Hope it is a memorable time.

Huntinandfishinfool

Mar 5, 2018
Vancouver Washington
You'll find lots of mule deer south of Glasgow on the CMR. We've been hunting out there for over 30 years with lots of success. I've found most people drive around and rarely see anyone walking. Be careful to not get caught out on those roads if it starts to rain or the ground thaws. The mud is like gumbo and will build up fast. Find a area that looks like it would hold deer and get out and walk the draws. We've killed deer as close to 100 yards off the road that were bedded. If you draw tags get in touch with me.

TimberJunkie

Feb 13, 2015
Central Point, OR
Hey there. Welcome. The people here on this forum are very helpful. I have hunted the area around Glasgow several times. There were a food amount of mule deer out there. The block management around there is a good bet. There are several units in there that are special draw right around the dam. Can't remember exact unit. The CMR usually closes to Mule Deer hunting around the time you will be getting there. It's only open for the first 2 or 2 weeks of the general season.

In the last few weeks, there have been some reports of winterkill. Glasgow has had a brutal winter and the deer bad antelope were skinny from a poor spring last year. Not much grass. I have personally been going to Ekalaka the last few years. Really gentle ground, lots of deer and better quality bucks. Anywhere you go, buy good glass. At least 10x42. A spotter is nice to have to. Prepare for 10 below 0 all the way to 70?. Crazy weather out there. If you re dead set on Glasgow, I like the area east of the dam. We went out there 3 years ago and saw 25 bucks in one day. And 0 other hunters in 3 days. Block management ground. Here is a buck I shot out there east of the dam . Good luck. 20171114_101731.jpg

TimberJunkie

Feb 13, 2015
Central Point, OR
Hey there. Welcome. The people here on this forum are very helpful. I have hunted the area around Glasgow several times. There were a food amount of mule deer out there. The block management around there is a good bet. There are several units in there that are special draw right around the dam. Can't remember exact unit. The CMR usually closes to Mule Deer hunting around the time you will be getting there. It's only open for the first 2 or 2 weeks of the general season.

In the last few weeks, there have been some reports of winterkill. Glasgow has had a brutal winter and the deer bad antelope were skinny from a poor spring last year. Not much grass. I have personally been going to Ekalaka the last few years. Really gentle ground, lots of deer and better quality bucks. Anywhere you go, buy good glass. At least 10x42. A spotter is nice to have to. Prepare for 10 below 0 all the way to 70?. Crazy weather out there. If you re dead set on Glasgow, I like the area east of the dam. We went out there 3 years ago and saw 25 bucks in one day. And 0 other hunters in 3 days. Block management ground. Here is a buck I shot out there east of the dam . Good luck. View attachment 21063

Samson

Mar 7, 2018
Thank you guys for all the info. We will definitely be walking a lot. I never thought of hunting east of the Damn. I’ll check out some aerial photos��

SansSouci

Nov 3, 2013
Samson,

You're a great dad. I admire you for being an excellent father.

I hope your kid has a blast, enjoys the magnificent sport of hunting, and your kids kills a huge buck.

For me, the best way of finding deer is scouting which involves a lot of work. Try to get to your hunting area at least a few days before the opener. Besides helping your kid and you acclimate to high elevation, it will give you scouting time to find out where deer are and their patterns. For me, knowing deer patterns usually leads to success. Since deer will alter their patterns due to climate changes, scouting as close as possible to the opener is usually best.

I wish your kid and you the absolute best of luck.

Samson

Mar 7, 2018
Thank You for the kind words and info. I certainly am not disappointed with all the replies I've received.

Samson

Mar 7, 2018
Daughter and I had a blast in Montana! She shotbher 1st buck at 350 Yards. Made a great hit and quick recovery. Thanks for all the help.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Not sure why Pics came out sideways
Looks like a fun time between a father and daughter, congratulation to the hunter.

On the pictures I would say it is because of using a cell phone. You can get them oriented correctly but you would need to transfer them to a computer before posting them.

D

Disabled Combat Vet

Congrats.... that is really cool having a Father and Daughter hunt..... and the Buck is just the icing on the cake.