Unsuccessful for Wyoming Elk

win264

Feb 17, 2014
I was unsuccessful for Wyoming Draw results posted today, I'm not too disappointed sort of glad I have another hunt I was drawn for and it would have been hard doing 2 hunts in Sept. Hope you were successful.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Im about to have the same issue with applying for hunts that are close to the same time. Do you only apply for 1? Both and hope you only draw 1? Its a tough call. Congrats on your other tag!

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
Im about to have the same issue with applying for hunts that are close to the same time. Do you only apply for 1? Both and hope you only draw 1? Its a tough call. Congrats on your other tag!
Difficult decision, I will have to change my normal application for Sheep and Goat (Oregon) this year to make sure they don't conflict with elk. With only something like 18 tags statewide for goat, I can't not try.
The same is true for Sheep.

I think I would try for something crazy difficult if you were able to avoid a conflicting draw. Maybe one of those hunts with 3-5% odds.

Having said all that if adding a preference point for a deer or elk doesn't hurt you I'd consider buying the point and sitting out the draw if it is an option.

Funding two once in a lifetime experiences would be a tall order but what a great problem to have...... It's only time and money right.

Last edited:

win264

Feb 17, 2014
MM I have gone so many years not getting drawn I don't expect to get drawn, so I applied for San Carlos Rez before Wyo, there was only 5 tags then I applied for Wyo, then I went to the SCI and there was a Rez that was 1st come 1st serve so I purchased a Sept any elk tag there when I got back San Carlos posted results and I was the 1st one drawn, so I have 2 elk hunts in Sept one starts 1-15 and the other is 10-25, now I just need to get the time off. When it rains it pours.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
If you ever want to assess your risk of applying for two tags, take the draw odds for the two hunts and multiply them together and see if you can stomach it. Of course draw odds are historical, and there is no way to know for sure what will happen any given year.

Here is a specific example I was working through, but since then I decided to go for a sure thing :) :

Colorado elk: 25% draw odds

Utah elk: 20% draw odds

Odds to draw both tags = .25 x .20 = 0.05 = 5%

Odds to draw one or the other is approximately 40-45%

If I draw both, I can return the Utah but have to eat the tag price. I had to decide if a 5% risk was worth it to increase my chance to hunt this year.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
My dilemma is between CO ML deer and NV antelope. Im definitely applying for CO but it may take me another point or 2 to draw. So if I play it safe I could be sitting out of NV antelope for the next 2 of 3 years which I really dont want to do but I also dont want to take a chance drawing both the same year because I could not hunt both the same year. Really I think my odds of drawing either are poor for this year but still it could happen.

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
MM I have gone so many years not getting drawn I don't expect to get drawn, so I applied for San Carlos Rez before Wyo, there was only 5 tags then I applied for Wyo, then I went to the SCI and there was a Rez that was 1st come 1st serve so I purchased a Sept any elk tag there when I got back San Carlos posted results and I was the 1st one drawn, so I have 2 elk hunts in Sept one starts 1-15 and the other is 10-25, now I just need to get the time off. When it rains it pours.
My god what terrible luck!!!!!
You poor guy.
Seriously you have some planning to do.

Umpqua: are you a math teacher ?..... I could use a mentor.
College Algebra and my 50 year old brain are not getting along :)

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
My dilemma is between CO ML deer and NV antelope. Im definitely applying for CO but it may take me another point or 2 to draw. So if I play it safe I could be sitting out of NV antelope for the next 2 of 3 years which I really dont want to do but I also dont want to take a chance drawing both the same year because I could not hunt both the same year. Really I think my odds of drawing either are poor for this year but still it could happen.
I'd still try..... by the way that avatar muley is a bruiser:)

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
My god what terrible luck!!!!!
You poor guy.
Seriously you have some planning to do.

Umpqua: are you a math teacher ?..... I could use a mentor.
College Algebra and my 50 year old brain are not getting along :)
No just a ton of math and science getting my engineering degree. Unfortunately when my jr. high and high school kids bring stuff home I have to relearn it.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Im not sure which is less predictable, the CO true PP system or the NV BP system. If a couple guys in CO changed to a different unit, sat out of the draw, or decided to get in the draw it could make a big difference. Over the last 10 years min points has been 3-5 and I have 3. NV anything could happen and I have had no luck at all there so maybe I am due and its about 10-1 with 4 points so it could happen. In 2012 I drew 2 tags with single digit odds so that can happen too. My priority is CO but when I draw NV it will be atleast 10 years before I draw it again so I want to have time for it.

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
I also multiply last years draw odds from a few hunts like UH does. Fortunately I can borrow vacation from next year if I draw 2 good tags. Just have to watch the season dates. Can't hunt 2 states at the same time.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
Umpqua are you sure about eating the money in Utah?? We turned tags back last fall due to some medical problems and I returned it about 2 months before the hunt and my friend returned his about two weeks before. I got a full refund minus $25 bucks, he didn't get any sort of refund. In any case you will get all your points back and a point for that year also.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/licenses/refund_surrender/

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Umpqua are you sure about eating the money in Utah?? We turned tags back last fall due to some medical problems and I returned it about 2 months before the hunt and my friend returned his about two weeks before. I got a full refund minus $25 bucks, he didn't get any sort of refund. In any case you will get all your points back and a point for that year also.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/licenses/refund_surrender/
Whoa Woodtick…..good stuff. It looks like you can get the refund and your points reinstated up to 30 days before the season. Nice catch, and some very useful stuff to know. Thanks!

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
I thought I read in this year's HF that Utah now keeps your tag fee if you turn it back in, but does award you a point. Last year I know I read you got both tag fee & point. I know because I adjusted my applications to allow for that.