Unit 81

Churches

Apr 27, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Hey guys, looking for a little help. I'll be hunting elk in wy this year for the first time. I drew a general season rifle elk tag, and have narrowed my search down to unit 81. My season begins on sept. 26th. I'll be going solo on this DIY hunt and have narrowed down my research using google earth and topo maps. also, ill be headed to the area to burn some boot leather this summer, but i have just a few questions to help me prepare; would I be better off doing a backpack hunt or would a base camp hunt work just fine? Will the roads require me to need four chains? Should I bring a four wheeler? I see this is in the grizzly zone, any real possibilities of seeing them here. Any help is appreciated. Thx

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Hi Churches,

Many people on here are willing to help but we really like it if a person introduces them selves first in the new member section. Hope you stick around- It's a fun forum.

Both a base camp or back pack hunt would work for this area depending on you. Roads will depend on the weather- could be 12" of snow or 70 degrees. I leave the 4 wheeler at home myself but read up on the laws before making your choice. There is a possibility of seeing a grizzly hence the grizzly zone designation.

Churches

Apr 27, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Hilltop, thanks for the Forum protocol, i will absolutely intro myself in the new member section. Also, I appreciate your feedback. Mntnguide - you as well. Thank you. Thats exactly what i was looking for.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
If it is your first time, I would consider a less challenging area honestly. If your goal is to just harvest an elk, there are easier areas to get it done. However 81 would be an experience... Send me a PM if your interested in more info.