Unit 73 Colorado

KMock

Anyone hunted elk or deer in unit 73, NW of Durango? Not looking for specifics, just general. A friend and I have planned an archery hunt in 74, but have been looking hard at 73 as well for a few reasons. Thanks in advance.
Kasey

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I live in 73 and I've hunted most of it, altho not archery. First, about 1/2 of the unit is unavailable.....almost everything south of highway 160 is private property, Nat Park or Ute Reservation. The main area of hunting is Hay Camp Mesa and east to Sharktooth and to the county boundry. Lots of heavy aspen & timber and high country also. It gets lots of pressure during rifle season. My suggestion would be to do a little scouting when you are here hunting 74.

Are you planning on being here this year? If so, PM me closer to when you are planning to arrive and possibly I can set aside a day and meet you and give you a tour of the area.

Awise1

Mar 17, 2011
N. Calif
Haven't hunted it in the last three years but did hunt it over 20 consecutive years prior to that. I've mostly hunted below Hay Camp at Grouse Point and the last ten years hunting it, I took 6 bulls and 2 cows. There's a resident herd in there and I spent a lot time learning their habits and it paid off quite well. These were all 3rd season rifle hunts though. Met a guy in Dolores years ago who used to like hunting the rim of that canyon in there during archery season. In 1996 I took my largest mulie buck ever in that area, then years following, a virus wiped out most of the herd and it was a slow rebound. I don't know how the mulie population is doing nowadays.