Unit 44 3rd rifle season

Stevo

Mar 2, 2014
Texas
I'm planning to apply for unit 44 3rd rifle season. I've got 16 points, so not guaranteed to draw. With the way the point system is currently going, it'll be at least 20 or possibly substantially more years before I could draw this type of tag again so want to make the most of it. Planning to call the Glenwood Springs wildlife office and try to talk to a local biologist, but thought I'd start here with anyone who's been to the area. I'm hoping to go this summer to at least learn some roads and where public land is in the area. Does anyone have any information willing to share?

Last edited:

Granby guy

Nov 5, 2012
Grand Lake, Colorado
Access is very limited on the north side of the unit but the south and west sides have access. My friend lives in 44 and we sit on his porch and watch them in the evenings. There are some monsters in there.

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
I'm guessing a deer tag? I live in gypsum

If you get meat from the store then dont criticize me for having the courage to go out and kill my own meat

bigmoose

Jan 2, 2012
Yerington Nevada
You most likely will not draw with 16 points this year with point creep. It took 16 last year and at least one guy did not get his tag with 16. My suggestion if you are willing to hang in there and wait for a deer tag, is to elk hunt the unit during the third season and learn the area. This hunt is not a "slam dunk" for a 200 buck and can be a tough hunt.

Moose

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
It's not a slam dunk hunt even 4th season isn't a slam dunk, this unit isn't what it used to be and you really need to scout it a lot

If you get meat from the store then dont criticize me for having the courage to go out and kill my own meat

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
Have you looked at any maps for ur choice of where you are thinking of hunting? We hunted second season last year and it was rough for us deer wise. But we were doubling with elk an deer

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Bigmoose is right on, you almost certainly won't draw 44 3rd this year. The point creep on that hunt is ridiculous, so last years dew statistics are like looking in the rear view mirror.

Stevo

Mar 2, 2014
Texas
Well I just applied for another preference point for mule deer. Applied for an Elk tag in another area with my dad we have hunted before. He then realized he put the hunt code as his first choice instead of a PP on first and the hunt code as second as it takes 0 points to draw in that area. I applied for the PP first choice and the hunt as my second choice. Looking at the group hunting instructions in the booklet, looks like our applications will be disqualified. I'm hoping to at least get a PP, but don't know what will happen. Kinda sucks! Looks like no Colorado trip for me this year.

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
I have heard of you call them you can get it changed but they will charge you, that's what I've heard

Stevo

Mar 2, 2014
Texas
He said he tried to call several times, couldn't get through. Hopefully he can talk to someone tomorrow as it's the last day to apply.

Stevo

Mar 2, 2014
Texas
He was able to get through on the phone and change it today thank goodness. Now just got to wait until end of May to see if we draw, probably a 50/50 shot I'm guessing.