Unit 18 Status

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
Hey All,
What’s the current status of unit 18 area? Any fires? How has the summer been wet/dry? I’m driving out Wednesday and will be in the woods Friday.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I live in Cascade, near Colorado Springs … a little over 100 miles southeast of unit 18.
It's been a fairly wet summer here … in fact things are still green which is unusual for August.
I haven't heard about any fires near unit 18.
Maybe someone who lives closer can confirm.

Reactions: archeranthony

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
It's been incredibly wet. I was camping near Kremmling a few weeks ago and the mosquitoes were out of control. The wildflowers (and weeds) are nuts, too. There are lots of camp sites along forest service roads in that area so overgrown you can barely see there are fire rings in them. I think it's also telling that, with the exception of a few habitually dry areas like Alamosa and Costilla counties, we're almost to the end of August with no fire bans yet. (Handy bookmark for those who may need this: http://www.coemergency.com/p/fire-bans-danger.html)

Bring your bug spray, you're going to need it.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Colorado has been fairly fire free this summer, I think that we needed the rest after the last few years.

As other have said we are green and green all over but the last month or so we have started to dry out and in just the last couple of days they have started placing fire restriction in areas as they get ready for the Labor Day Holiday.

Alaskabound2016

Oct 14, 2015
Colorado Springs
Got back a few days ago from a scout trip near the Bob Miller trail. Tons of other hunters as well as horseback. Saw 3 doe and that was it. Heard lots of bugles and couldn't walk 10 feet without stepping in bear poo! Yet still did not see a bear, kinda crazy. Probably trying my luck at my spot B I was considering due to the lack of bucks I saw where I was at.

Good luck to all hunting in 18!