Unit 11 Elk

Bigtex

Oct 3, 2013
Good morning everyone. I have been a subscriber to Eastmans for approx. 10 years. I really don't get drawn much so I really don't post much on the forum, but I am now in need of some information. My group of 3 have 9 Wyoming elk points and we are looking to pull the trigger this year and apply. I know I am really in "no man's land", not being able to draw a premium tag and not wanting to waste our points on an average unit. I have been doing some research and have concluded that our best odds of killing a couple decent bulls would be in either 11, 35 or 40 (with our current points).

So, here is the question, when I look at the maps it appears that unit 11 has a lot of national forest with quite a few roads through it, but Eastman's says access is Poor?? Can anyone explain this?

Also, if anyone has info on the units I mentioned, or if there is a better unit choice and could help out I would greatly appreciate it. I am going to make some calls to the biologist and GW too. If we get drawn this year, I will post a report after the hunt.

This attached Pic is from last year, the only public lands success I have had in 5 years! The big one was 13.5 ft, 746 lbs. The small one was 12.5 ft, 505 lbs.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Those are some big gators!

Head over to the new member section and give an intro.

Good luck on your research and welcome to the forum.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
The 11-6 is difficult access because it is a tag for off forest. Area 11 is easy access in general. If you are rifle hunting, I believe there are better tags you could draw with your current points. I can't offer advice on the other two areas you mention.

Shooter

Feb 22, 2011
Washington
I would look at the bighorn mtns. Like units 35, 38, 39, 40, 41, and 45. If you could draw 45 with 9pts that would be my first choice. Followed by 38, 39, 40, 41, then 35 in that order. All have good numbers of elk and plenty of public land.

Last edited: