Unit 061-68 mule deer

Grundy53

Aug 29, 2013
I was fortunate enough to draw the 6 series early rifle mule deer tag the very first year putting in. Needless to say I wasn't expecting to draw anything with zero points. I researched this area prior to putting in for the draw however I was also researching other areas as well as other states. Now I get to focus all my research on this one area. However I admittedly know little of this area. I have a couple general questions that I hope someone will be able to answer. The first is will I be able to get away from roads? Or are there roads everywhere? Also, I know this area receives a relatively high amount of tags (at least by Nevada standards). Will I have a tough time getting away from crowds? Will hiking generally get me away? If not will I still have a good chance at success even with the crowds?

Thank you in advance for any help. If anyone has questions about hunting in Washington or the Idaho panhandle (for whitetails) I would be happy to help.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Have poked around for antelope in 66. There were rough 2 tracks where I was, but many ended or washed out and offered walking, which many will not do unless game was spotted. I found my antelope up fairly high, and suspect there were muleys near based on the topography, but did not see any nor look for sign. What I could offer is probably of limited value, partly because I happened to find a nice antelope early on day one and did not cover too much country, but I'm happy to tell you the general area I accessed and how. That said, I suspect there are much better deer areas in that unit complex than were I hunted antelope. PM me if you would like any more info.

draggah

Aug 5, 2013
Elko, NV
That's a great tag that you have. The Independence Range is hunted hard and has good access, but some of the steeper terrain is farther away from trails. 068 does not have many roads in some areas and I have seen several nice bucks taken from there.

Grundy53

Aug 29, 2013
That's a great tag that you have. The Independence Range is hunted hard and has good access, but some of the steeper terrain is farther away from trails. 068 does not have many roads in some areas and I have seen several nice bucks taken from there.
Thank you. I hope to do the tag justice. I plan on hunting my butt off hopefully I will have a solid plan before opening morning.

Grundy53

Aug 29, 2013
Another thing I have been thinking about. I won't be able to hunt the full 16 days. Probably more like 7-10. Would it be better to be there for opening day or catch the last 10 days of the season?

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Another thing I have been thinking about. I won't be able to hunt the full 16 days. Probably more like 7-10. Would it be better to be there for opening day or catch the last 10 days of the season?

Thats the hardest question to answer it depends on weather and where you hunt and luck. Ive hunted opening week and chased lots of small bucks for 2 or 3 days but it was 80 degrees and other years have gone last week and were seeing bucks starting to move and very early prerut type movement the last 2 days of season less preasure the last part of season tho

Grundy53

Aug 29, 2013
Thats the hardest question to answer it depends on weather and where you hunt and luck. Ive hunted opening week and chased lots of small bucks for 2 or 3 days but it was 80 degrees and other years have gone last week and were seeing bucks starting to move and very early prerut type movement the last 2 days of season less preasure the last part of season tho
Thank you for the response. I typically try to avoid opening weekend where I usually hunt because of the crowds and the fact most of them are just out there to drink beer and get away from the wife. But I have only hunted OTC units. I've never hunted a draw only unit and I've never hunted Nevada. My main concern is my lack of knowledge of the habit and I fear I will have a tough time finding where the bucks are hiding after being pressured for a week. But I think I'm still leaning towards the second half of the season. Mainly because it's closer to the rut and maybe I'll get a little cooler weather.

JScams

Jun 14, 2015
Reno/Sparks/Tahoe
Hunted 068 north of Battle mountain. Had a doe tag. Seen more antelope than deer. Did find about 7 doe and one 3x3 buck but nothing worth basing a hunt on. Wish I could help more. Best of luck

Grundy53

Aug 29, 2013
Hunted 068 north of Battle mountain. Had a doe tag. Seen more antelope than deer. Did find about 7 doe and one 3x3 buck but nothing worth basing a hunt on. Wish I could help more. Best of luck
Thank you. I appreciate the info.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I can almost guarantee you will see 0 rut activity during your season. I have hunted area 6, 7 and 10 early and late over the years and the bucks don't start rutting until about the second week of Nov. I think that is why there are almost no deer seasons that extend into the rut.
I personally would hunt the latest part of the season just for the fact that there will be less people out there and it should be a little cooler.
I have watched herds of deer come down to the water at Wildhorse Res. in the evenings on the west side of the lake that is mostly private property. They do come down to the lake on the public side too but they come after dark. During the day they simply disappear into the sage draws and wash bottoms. I many areas the sage is head high. I've seen a lot of deer there but never saw any big bucks, lots of small 2 and 3 points.
The steep narrow draws that are on the east side of the hiway as you pass the dam sometimes have a lot of sign in them but most everyone just drives past on their way someplace else.
Bring your shotgun too because there are a lot of chukars around too.
Good luck on your hunt.

Grundy53

Aug 29, 2013
I can almost guarantee you will see 0 rut activity during your season. I have hunted area 6, 7 and 10 early and late over the years and the bucks don't start rutting until about the second week of Nov. I think that is why there are almost no deer seasons that extend into the rut.
I personally would hunt the latest part of the season just for the fact that there will be less people out there and it should be a little cooler.
I have watched herds of deer come down to the water at Wildhorse Res. in the evenings on the west side of the lake that is mostly private property. They do come down to the lake on the public side too but they come after dark. During the day they simply disappear into the sage draws and wash bottoms. I many areas the sage is head high. I've seen a lot of deer there but never saw any big bucks, lots of small 2 and 3 points.
The steep narrow draws that are on the east side of the hiway as you pass the dam sometimes have a lot of sign in them but most everyone just drives past on their way someplace else.
Bring your shotgun too because there are a lot of chukars around too.
Good luck on your hunt.
Thank you very much. That info will be very helpful. I really appreciate it.

Grundy53

Aug 29, 2013
I've been really busy at work this summer but it looks like I'll finally be able to make a scouting trip down there at the end of the month. I can't wait!

Velvet muley

May 17, 2015
Nevada
I have hunted that unit my whole life and I can honestly say it has gone from a prime Muley unit to a mediocre unit the last 3ish years, generally speaking. I still isn't a crappy unit but they have given out way to many tags the last few years and also the winter range burn from last year and heavy winter will definitely have an substantial impact this season. If you put in some good work 170" buck is still doable and there are bigger than that also. There are a lot of roads and people so do some homework on google maps, hike away from the roads and your chance of success on a good buck will go way up. Good luck and be sure to post some pics.

Grundy53

Aug 29, 2013
I have hunted that unit my whole life and I can honestly say it has gone from a prime Muley unit to a mediocre unit the last 3ish years, generally speaking. I still isn't a crappy unit but they have given out way to many tags the last few years and also the winter range burn from last year and heavy winter will definitely have an substantial impact this season. If you put in some good work 170" buck is still doable and there are bigger than that also. There are a lot of roads and people so do some homework on google maps, hike away from the roads and your chance of success on a good buck will go way up. Good luck and be sure to post some pics.
Thank you. I'll definitely post pictures and let you guys know how it went.

Grundy53

Aug 29, 2013
Heading out tomorrow morning for a scouting trip. I'm going to focus on 61 and the North end of 62. Can't wait to explore some new country!

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Look up unit 61 on the ndow web site for numbers of tags in that unit before your hunt starts. Its bring your own rock to sit on as all the ones there have someone sitting on them starting mid September cow season.

Grundy53

Aug 29, 2013
Look up unit 61 on the ndow web site for numbers of tags in that unit before your hunt starts. Its bring your own rock to sit on as all the ones there have someone sitting on them starting mid September cow season.
Thanks for the heads up!

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Just get away from the roads and you will have very little company.