Union Pacific Big Boy 4014

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Any of our Utah / Wyoming members go see this thing ? Pretty cool videos being posted on it daily. Pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLsUofb8WNk

Union Pacific web page only has the Ogden Utah back to Cheyenne Wyoming schedule up. Its supposed to make more trips this summer on the UP main lines. I'm gonna have to go see it somewhere.

Last time I saw something like this was in 1976. American Freedom train in Brackenridge PA on one of its many stops during its two year tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_svWO97NlA

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Cool links!

Every time I see an old steam locomotive I wonder what went through the Indians minds when they first saw them. I'm sure they were terrified.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
My kids and I seen the Big Boy at the Harriman stop between Cheyenne and Laramie. I see the Challenger most every year also.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Go deep,
Is there a running Challenger up there also ?
Yea. Now that I'm thinking about it though I think the last time I seen it was 2017, but I travel all over so it very well could have ran when I've been out of town.
Kind of cool deal, they have passenger cars behind it with people riding. Be fun to find a way on to one of the passenger cars and ride for a while.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming

We drove up to Medicine Bow to see it, you could get right up to it and take pics.
Slugz they do run a Challenger, it was the following engine with the steam train, 844

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
My landlord back in college was 90 years old and a retired engineer for UP. He had lots of pictures on his walls of him running the Big Boys back in the 40’s. He also had lots of stories to go with them. Never appreciated the significance of those trains until I got older...