Unguided vs. Guided

PacWestUL

Jul 19, 2016
CA
Hi!

My question for y'all is which is better given this situation for a guided vs. unguided hunt....

My Dad (60), Grandpa (90), and I (32), know a farmer with 2 landowner tags on his 640 acre private ranch, offering us them for $1,500 for a cow, and $3,500 for a bull. Place to stay for $100/night, use of quads, no meals, no guiding, nothing else. From what I've seen online, that seems expensive. Add up the cost of travel, food, beverage, state licenses... easily a $10,000 hunt. With me being the young one, guess who is doing all the work too! Rancher's land is 40 miles north of Cuba, NM. Supposedly last year a group shot a good bull off his land...

So, do we haggle that price down and stick to this private land hunt, or go with a fully guided hunt? I feel like I'm asking a stupid question because I'm leaning heavily towards the guided one after looking at the math, plus given the age of my Grandpa. Now, at 90 years old, he still pheasant, duck, and goose hunts every year in South Dakota with us. He gets around just fine and is healthy, but is in no way in shape for a true elk hunt, and neither is my dad. He will be happy to be along for the hunt however he can, but I'd like my dad to shoot the elk since I have had my chances and I'm still young.

What say you???

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
640 acres is pretty small when it comes to elk. Unless it is absolutely amazing ground, I wouldn't pay for that small of a ranch. I believe you personally would have a better time guided but I would talk to dad and grandpa to make sure that is the type of hunt they will enjoy. I have hunted with several older gentlemen that were happier with tag soup alone vs paying a guide for a better opportunity. Good luck in you search- no recommendation from me this late in the game.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
That seems like an awful lot of $$$ to hunt on 640 acres with nothing provided except the use of quads. What if the elk are not there? Do you get your money back?
On a guided hunt most of the work has been done for you. They cook for you, they probably have scouted the area, they haul out your animal for you. You can help with camp chores and they will appreciate it very much.
Could be a little late for this year though.
Good luck to you and your family whichever way you decide to go.
I hope I'm still hunting at 90!

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
There is a lot of elk around Cuba. No need for a guide unless their are doing something to accommodate your grandfather...

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Can a NM landowner tag be used unit wide or is it property owner only grounds?

PacWestUL

Jul 19, 2016
CA
I think we are all on the same page here. Its an excessive price for a non-guided, no guarantees hunt. So many variables that could work against us, so we are looking elsewhere. I appreciate all the input though! Just wanted to confirm my suspicions, which is what forums are for! Good luck to you all in the future season...

PacWestUL

Jul 19, 2016
CA
That seems like an awful lot of $$$ to hunt on 640 acres with nothing provided except the use of quads. What if the elk are not there? Do you get your money back?
On a guided hunt most of the work has been done for you. They cook for you, they probably have scouted the area, they haul out your animal for you. You can help with camp chores and they will appreciate it very much.
Could be a little late for this year though.
Good luck to you and your family whichever way you decide to go.
I hope I'm still hunting at 90!
Those were our concerns too about the property, along with time and weather issues. I hope I'm still hunting at 90 too! Hes sharp as a tack, shoots straight, and is still working selling real estate! His secret? Eat healthy, don't drink/smoke, believe in the Lord, and stay active!

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
it was property only I believe
Well, if the 640 acres has agriculture crops that have the elk coming in everyday then that might be worth it. Would be nice for Gramps to drop a bull in a hay field and drive the atv/truck right too it. Outfitters are in the $5000 (give or take) for each hunter so by the time you pay for your tags and gas to get there you will be close to $20,000 all in with 3 guys.