Ultralight sleeping bags?

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
Now that's what I'm talking about. I have a different tent but the pad and bag is the same. Best sleep ever in a tent. I have the little separate pump for the pad but it only weighs like an ounce or two. I use a couple of straps instead of a compression sack but the result it about the same.

Jul 6, 2013
South Dakota
A year ago when I was looking Western Mountaineering bags had really good weight to temp rating ratio. The reviews say the temp rating is very conservative and I can say that myself now.

coastalarms

That's a pretty cool idea by Sierra designs.

Dakota's comments about Western Mountaineering is dead on...way back when I was working with Mountainsmith and running around climbing stuff Western Mountaineering bags were coveted like gold. I had a pair of down booties that they made. They were simply awesome.

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
A year ago when I was looking Western Mountaineering bags had really good weight to temp rating ratio. The reviews say the temp rating is very conservative and I can say that myself now.

Got the Badger, the bag is awesome. I also agree on temp rating.

DoKnowHarm

Jul 20, 2015
I know a few people who use the Marmot Plasma 15. It is very expensive but they love it. I personally would not dare sleep in a mummy bag. I bought a marmot mummy bag and hated being so restricted. I now run the Nemo stratoloft 20 degree bag. It is a little heavier than the truly ultralight bags but I have room to move and a good night's sleep takes higher priority than a few ounces in my book.

Rick!

May 9, 2014
On a Marmot, figure out what side you want the zipper. I have a LH zipper and sleep on my right side and it makes for interesting mornings. The Kifaru with the center zipper looks interesting.
As for temp rating, for me, the Helium is good to 15 deg when I am fully clothed with socks on and I am a warm sleeper. Another thing to consider is a pillow - REI makes a down pillow that fits perfect in the head space. I've tried a stuff sack with clothes and they flatten out and don't work very good (for me). Good luck.

COLOelkman

Mar 12, 2011
Lakewood, CO
Surprised nobody mentioned quilts? I bought a Hammock Gear quilt bag last year and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. They save some weight by not having a zipper and baffles like a mummy. I bought it for two purposes: I move around a lot and just don't sleep well in a mummy, and to save weight. You do need an insulated pad but you really need on no matter what bag you use. Mine weighs 21.3 oz as I bought a 20 degree bag in the long option, with 2 extra oz of down (850). After my research, I felt that HG gave you the best value for the $ with a higher quality down. As noted, this is one of my best moves ever as I slept much better and never got cold. Some nights were around 20 degrees this year so I think their temp rating is true relative to comfort level vs a survival temp rating! I typically sleep in a baselayer just so I don't have to put it on in a cold tent and I'm sure that also helps a bit on the warmth!

laxwyo

Very Active Member
Surprised nobody mentioned quilts? I bought a Hammock Gear quilt bag last year and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. They save some weight by not having a zipper and baffles like a mummy. I bought it for two purposes: I move around a lot and just don't sleep well in a mummy, and to save weight. You do need an insulated pad but you really need on no matter what bag you use. Mine weighs 21.3 oz as I bought a 20 degree bag in the long option, with 2 extra oz of down (850). After my research, I felt that HG gave you the best value for the $ with a higher quality down. As noted, this is one of my best moves ever as I slept much better and never got cold. Some nights were around 20 degrees this year so I think their temp rating is true relative to comfort level vs a survival temp rating! I typically sleep in a baselayer just so I don't have to put it on in a cold tent and I'm sure that also helps a bit on the warmth!

Thank you for mentioning this. Very interesting after looking into it

wileywapiti

Feb 21, 2011
gods country
i finally made the plunge into a down quilt. will NEVER go back to a zippered bag again. I have a long, x-wide, 0 degree quilt with 900 fill and it is absolutely the best thing i have ever purchased for backcountry hunting. it weighs in at 2.5lbs....

wileywapiti

Feb 21, 2011
gods country
Do they pack down well?
Laxwyo, im not real sure who you are but we live in the same town and I see you on the
wyonation site all the time. ha ha, funny, but yes, they do pack down very well. i bought a big agnes stuff sack compression straps. with that and the stuff sack it came with, i can get it down to a little bit bigger than a 32oz nalgine bottle. if you wanted to ever see a quilt before you bought one, you could take a look at mine.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Thought I would bring this topic back up.....anyone try the Kuiu 15° bag?
I havent personally and dont know of anyone..Kuiu obviously makes good gear, but Im still not sold on the camping equipment..and for that price tag...i would personally look elsewhere. Im probably gonna pick up the North Face Superlight bag which weighs under 2lbs and costs quite a bit less than that Kuiu; and North Face has been making sleeping bags for decades, not just a couple years. Just my thoughts.

Iron Mike

Oct 23, 2014
Tumalo, Oregon
Thought I would bring this topic back up.....anyone try the Kuiu 15° bag?
I have the 15 - very nice and very well built. I also have a Mountain Hardware 30 degree. Like that one also when it is a bit warmer. The MH 30 weighs more then the Kuiu 15, which is damn light at just under 2lbs, but it is way comfy and a little more roomy then the Kuiu. But for cooler weather of course there is no comparison.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I havent personally and dont know of anyone..Kuiu obviously makes good gear, but Im still not sold on the camping equipment..and for that price tag...i would personally look elsewhere. Im probably gonna pick up the North Face Superlight bag which weighs under 2lbs and costs quite a bit less than that Kuiu; and North Face has been making sleeping bags for decades, not just a couple years. Just my thoughts.
I agree the price is high and they haven't made bags for very long. I know there clothing has been good quality IMO. The bag looks well built.

Our research seems to have led us on the same path. I am looking at the Nortface super light, too. Let me know how the bag is when you get it.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I have the 15 - very nice and very well built. I also have a Mountain Hardware 30 degree. Like that one also when it is a bit warmer. The MH 30 weighs more then the Kuiu 15, which is damn light at just under 2lbs, but it is way comfy and a little more roomy then the Kuiu. But for cooler weather of course there is no comparison.
How long have you had the bag? Is it holding up?

Iron Mike

Oct 23, 2014
Tumalo, Oregon
How long have you had the bag? Is it holding up?
Work2hunt
I have about 7 days in it so time will tell. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure it is going to last me. All my hunts with it are wilderness hunts. Heck I have some cheap bags I have had forever but I do try and take care of stuff. A friend of mine has the zero degree Kuiu bag and has about 3 weeks worth of nights and he has not had any issues. I got mine on his recommendation but zero is more then I need.

Last edited: