Ultralight sleeping bags?

AzCamoLife

Hey, everyone! Wanted to talk ultralight sleeping bags. Right now, I have a Teton that is coming in at about 4 pounds. Looking to get into around the 2 pound range or lighter with a temp rating around 20 degrees. Couple of bags that I am looking at are the Marmot Hydrogen 30, Marmot Helium 15, Sierra Designs Zissou 12, and the Big Agnes Bellyache. I am a side sleeper, so I am not into having the sleeping pad attached to the bag. Also, open to quilts. Been hearing lots of good things about these, but don't know if I want to give up the hood of the mummy bag. Something that has been bothering me about this search is knowing how much these bags can be compressed down to in a compression sack. There are some pics here and there of them in stuff sacks, but none in compression sacks. If anyone has any insight on that, I would appreciate it. As far as sleeping pads, I am looking at the NeoAir Xlite, if that helps. If you have recommendations on a better lighter pad, I am open to that as well. Looking forward to your responses! :D

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
Kifaru 20* and you'll be golden. I'll throw it into a compression bag tomorrow and get ya some pics. You can find the older version 20* around if you shop a bit. That's what I have. Picked it up for 200 I believe. Never leave home without it! Check out kifaru.com classifieds. Since the new version came out people have been offing the older version pretty cheap.

AzCamoLife

Kifaru 20* and you'll be golden. I'll throw it into a compression bag tomorrow and get ya some pics. You can find the older version 20* around if you shop a bit. That's what I have. Picked it up for 200 I believe. Never leave home without it! Check out kifaru.com classifieds. Since the new version came out people have been offing the older version pretty cheap.
Thanks for the recommendation and pictures to come! I appreciate it!

coastalarms

I'd be amiss if I didn't mention the Snugpak Tactical 2. Rated to 23'F, weighs 36 ounces and packs down to a 7"x7" ball. One of the really cool things with the Snugpak Tactical series is that you can also get whats called an ExpandaPanel. It zips into the bag making it a bit larger....they're pretty cool. Nice for when you don't have to watch every ounce.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
The helium is a very good bag. I have the plasma and I am very happy with it. Check out campfire.com. they have some good prices.

atrietch

Feb 22, 2014
I have been using a Marmot Plasma the past few years and love it. Mine does not have the treated down but the new ones may..?

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
I have a Marmot Helium and love it. That and an Exped Synmat 7UL pad. The pad is super comfortable and compresses down to the size of a Nalgene bottle. The Helium compresses down well too. Something like 7"x14" And it only weighs 2 lbs. Some bags get to the lower weights by making them smaller, especially around the shoulders. I'm 6 ft. and 230. plenty of room for me but not so large that I get cold.

Last edited:

hoshour

Veteran member
The current bag on the Kifaru website is the Slick Bag which runs about $400. The regular is listed as 2.8 lbs. I can't find the Kifaru classifieds that were mentioned. I don't know if they still have them or not.

I haven't used it but the KUIU 15 degree bag is light. The regular is listed as 1 lb 14 oz and the long at 2 lbs 1 oz with 865 high fill power goose down.

AzCamoLife

I have a Marmot Helium and love it. That and an Exped Synmat 7UL pad. The pad is super comfortable and compresses down to the size of a Nalgene bottle. The Helium compresses down well too. Something like 7"x14" And it only weighs 2 lbs. Some bags get to the lower weights by making them smaller, especially around the shoulders. I'm 6 ft. and 230. plenty of room for me but not so large that I get cold.
Is that 7 x 14 in a compression sack or in a stuff sack?

Thanks for the info everyone! Keep em coming!

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
Don't pass up a good quality used bag. I bought one of these for $100 on craigslist. It is over 10yrs old, but the guy took great care of it. This is my go to bag because it is so compact compared to my other bag.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Kelty has some good options for 1/2 the price. They are also top notch as I've been using mine for a couple of seasons.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
Is that 7 x 14 in a compression sack or in a stuff sack?

Thanks for the info everyone! Keep em coming!
Stuff sack. Ultra thin light weight one that came with it. I can get it a little smaller with straps or a stuff sack but those things weigh more too.
Check Ebay. There's a new one on there for $350.00 buy it now. And a used one up for bid at $250.00

Last edited:

AzCamoLife

Stuff sack. Ultra thin light weight one that came with it. I can get it a little smaller with straps or a stuff sack but those things weigh more too.
Check Ebay. There's a new one on there for $350.00 buy it now. And a used one up for bid at $250.00
Sounds like a fantastic bag. Not QUITE ready to buy yet. Thanks for the heads up though!

Laddy

Nov 19, 2013
Idaho
Hey, everyone! Wanted to talk ultralight sleeping bags. Right now, I have a Teton that is coming in at about 4 pounds. Looking to get into around the 2 pound range or lighter with a temp rating around 20 degrees. Couple of bags that I am looking at are the Marmot Hydrogen 30, Marmot Helium 15, Sierra Designs Zissou 12, and the Big Agnes Bellyache. I am a side sleeper, so I am not into having the sleeping pad attached to the bag. Also, open to quilts. Been hearing lots of good things about these, but don't know if I want to give up the hood of the mummy bag. Something that has been bothering me about this search is knowing how much these bags can be compressed down to in a compression sack. There are some pics here and there of them in stuff sacks, but none in compression sacks. If anyone has any insight on that, I would appreciate it. As far as sleeping pads, I am looking at the NeoAir Xlite, if that helps. If you have recommendations on a better lighter pad, I am open to that as well. Looking forward to your responses! :D
To cut weight, almost in half as you said, a person has to decide between synthetic and down....which I believe you already have considering everyone of those bags you mentioned is down. I'm a big believer in down and the qualities it offers.....however, the old axiom that down will let you down, when you need it most, is very relevant.

If I'm backpacking in for a weeks hunt I'll take my down bag: currently Mountain Hardwear Ratio 15 + Thermarest NeoAir X-therm + Patagonia capalene 3s + beanie. It's been down into the low 20s where I hunt Idaho, and I've never been too cold at night to sleep.

The Ratio is probably right there in comfort level with the bags you listed, and I get a big jump in R value from the X-therm.

When I think of comfort and keeping warm in the back country I think systems, not just a single component. Good luck.

Reactions: 7Dakota

melsdad

Aug 24, 2012
S.W. Pennsylvania
I have the Marmot Helium 15 bag. Here it is in a size small sea to summit waterproof compression sack. Also the copper spur ul2 tent with tyvek foot print and exped7 sleeping pad with snozzle in the middle. Total camp weight is just over 6#