Turmoil over the Lander One Shot

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
So the issue is how they get their tags, not discrimination against women.
Both...if only obviously...and in no lack of irony, we supposedly call Wyoming the Equality State.

The men's only one shot hunt is getting 80 tags in areas with draw odds as low as 2%...being given a state asset independent of the drawing process. In other words, all 80 of those tags, a state asset, is being given to a men only competition. Further every NR and R who applies in the draw is being excluded from getting those tags as well.

So, yes, its taking away a state asset and discriminating not only against women, but every other applicant who applies in units 65, 66, 67, 68, and 106...including, but not limited to, disabled veterans, youth, women and anyone else who applies for those units.

If I want to hunt the areas that the women apply for and draw for their hunt...both R and NR odds are 100%. They are not exclusive tags to be used by a women's hunt.

That's a huge difference. If the men want to carry on with their exclusive men's only "tradition" of discrimination, do what you must, but you aren't going to do it by a legislative set aside of tags. Apply in the draw like everyone else. Personally, I think its a bunch of crap to have exclusive hunts of any kind. Hunting should be an inclusive activity IMO, kids, women, men, old, young, black, brown, green, you name it.

That's far from the only problem with this whole deal...and by a landslide. The fact that the hunt promotes questionable ethics, makes hunting a competition, the money not going back into wildlife, money leaving the state, etc. etc. etc.

If all you can see is the tag allocation...you need to go back and re-read my last post.

Last edited:

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
Like I said earlier, I've never heard of the one shot before this thread so obviously I haven't attended the event.

I'm not supporting it either. Sounds like there's a lot wrong with it. It doesn't sound like woman discrimination to me though. Just because an event doesn't include a certain group of people doesn't make it discrematory. It's a slippery slope when you start making those claims. That's all I'm saying. You call it what you want, to me it's an issue of using what belongs to the public (tags) to give to a particular group. I would say it's more of a fairness issue. Not discriminating against anyone.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
You're entitled to your opinion, but not your own set of facts. The fact is, a guaranteed state asset reserved for men only is discrimination in its purest/worst form.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
You're entitled to your opinion, but not your own set of facts. The fact is, a guaranteed state asset reserved for men only is discrimination in its purest/worst form.
Thanks, and your entitled to your opinion as well. It is a fact that state assets are being reserved for a certain group. It just so happens that group is a men's only group. It's not a fact that they are discriminating against anyone. It's an opinion that they are discriminating.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Thanks, and your entitled to your opinion as well. It is a fact that state assets are being reserved for a certain group. It just so happens that group is a men's only group. It's not a fact that they are discriminating against anyone. It's an opinion that they are discriminating.
Its a fact, its discrimination in its purest form. Its not just a "group", its a group where only men can compete.

How about we take say a 10k fiscal note from the Legislature via the States general fund...then hold a lottery drawing for that 10K, only men can apply.

Is that really not discrimination in your opinion?

Apparently you need an appointment with Mr. Webster...

1. the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
Its a fact, its discrimination in its purest form. Its not just a "group", its a group where only men can compete.

How about we take say a 10k fiscal note from the Legislature via the States general fund...then hold a lottery drawing for that 10K, only men can apply.

Is that really not discrimination in your opinion?

Apparently you need an appointment with Mr. Webster...

1. the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.
This could go on forever going back and forth. We obviously disagree on this and that's fine. I don't see any discremanation here. No more than a girls soccer team only allowing girls or a boys baseball team only allowing boy's. By the purest definition any denial of participation due to sex is discrimination. We have to use some common sense though. Obviously these boys and girls only teams aren't discriminating. The grey area I guess is where the tags come from on this hunt.

There are a lot of notable names who have participated in this hunt. Surely they aren't all women hating discreminators? I doubt anyone who's been a part of this views themselves in that manner, nor do their wives who all look pretty happy in the pictures I saw. I did see our liberal Colorado governor in some pics. Surprised he would take part in a hunt like this that discremenates based on sex knowing his policies and position on things.

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The men's only hunt is what it is and has been from it's inception....But with that said, in todays big game hunting situation in Wyoming (and most western states) the tags taken away from the draw is what really bothers me. I remember when this hunt first started and all the outdoor magazines wrote stories about it focusing on all the celebs who entered. But at the time I didn't hunt out of state and really never thought about it much. Then in the 80's I started hunting Wyoming and tags were pretty easy to get and cheap too. If someone really wanted to stock their freezer, they could get a buck deer & antelope & 6 doe tags (depending on the area). The doe tags were $5.00 ea! This is a far cry from today. Sure it could be made more fair for women by having their own hunt, but at what cost? More tags withdrawn out of the availability pool for regular hunters.

Like I said in my first post....it has outlived it's usefulness!

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
There are a lot of notable names who have participated in this hunt. Surely they aren't all women hating discreminators? I doubt anyone who's been a part of this views themselves in that manner, nor do their wives who all look pretty happy in the pictures I saw. I did see our liberal Colorado governor in some pics. Surprised he would take part in a hunt like this that discremenates based on sex knowing his policies and position on things.
There were a lot of notable and famous men, including our founding fathers, who owned slaves...that didn't make it right.

Just because a few big names or celebrities hunt in this, doesn't justify its existence or the blatant discrimination that's going on here.

Add in all the other issues, and this one shot hunt needs to change very significantly...as a best case.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
There were a lot of notable and famous men, including our founding fathers, who owned slaves...that didn't make it right.

Just because a few big names or celebrities hunt in this, doesn't justify its existence or the blatant discrimination that's going on here.

Add in all the other issues, and this one shot hunt needs to change very significantly...as a best case.
Now we're talking about slavery? And now it's blatant discremanation? I think maybe we're getting off topic with possibly a little sensationalism. This is really going no where. We disagree, I'll leave it at that.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
That would probably be your best bet, tough sledding trying to defend the indefensible...

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Even coyote contests?
Yes. I'm all for shooting every coyote I see, but the motivation for contestants is wrong. A guy wants to coyote hunt, great, go save some deer. But when they're killed to win a prize or stoke an ego, I just can't get behind that.

JM77

Apr 25, 2016
Casper, Wyoming
Now we're talking about slavery? And now it's blatant discremanation? I think maybe we're getting off topic with possibly a little sensationalism. This is really going no where. We disagree, I'll leave it at that.
It's a safe bet when someone misspells the word discrimination half the time, they may not totally grasp it's meaning.

How about we quit debating and let Wyoming Constitution settle this; after all Wyoming is the Equality State.

ARTICLE 6
SUFFRAGE AND ELECTIONS
Sec. 1. Male and female citizens to enjoy equal rights. The rights of citizens of the State of Wyoming to vote and hold office shall not be denied or abridged on account of sex. Both male and female citizens of this state shall equally enjoy all civil, political and religious rights and privi- leges.

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
Yes. I'm all for shooting every coyote I see, but the motivation for contestants is wrong. A guy wants to coyote hunt, great, go save some deer. But when they're killed to win a prize or stoke an ego, I just can't get behind that.
The coyote hunting contest i get into around where i live actually takes 10-20% of the entry fees to put back into other things wildlife related. I kill coyotes anytime i can. So what your saying is all the people who kill coyotes or trap coyotes and sell the fur for profit or to offset gas money isn't right in your eyes? I don't get into the contests just for the prize and i don't care if Joe Schmo is better than me at doing it! If i can go out on a weekend and have fun and kill coyotes and have the opportunity to win some of my gas money or ammunition money back while helping to control predator populations, well guess im of the minority then!

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
The coyote hunting contest i get into around where i live actually takes 10-20% of the entry fees to put back into other things wildlife related. I kill coyotes anytime i can. So what your saying is all the people who kill coyotes or trap coyotes and sell the fur for profit or to offset gas money isn't right in your eyes? I don't get into the contests just for the prize and i don't care if Joe Schmo is better than me at doing it! If i can go out on a weekend and have fun and kill coyotes and have the opportunity to win some of my gas money or ammunition money back while helping to control predator populations, well guess im of the minority then!
Read my post again

mgorm16640

Jan 8, 2016
Worland WY
I did email Rep. Allen to discuss One Shot his response is below,

Your analysis is not quite accurate. The One Shot uses several hunt areas and only a few tags are issued in any one area and over a wide number of antelope hunting areas so there is not a significant harvest in one area. Also, the WG&F periodically changes the issuance of tags to areas with abundant populations, so that biology is fully considered. Over-harvest is not happening.
The One Shot hunt has voluntarily raised and donated $2 million dollars for materials and donated labor for building hundreds of water development projects that benefit all wildlife, not just antelope. The hunt gathers donations and actually leverages license money with the donations to expand wildlife habitat and range which increases herd populations. This is accomplished over and above WG&F budget. I see this as a plus for wildlife and especially antelope. By building these water tanks on dry range, herds can build and provide MORE opportunity for other hunters.
The WG&F issues 200,000 total licenses per year, so 80 tags is a drop in the bucket.
And lastly, this hunt is really about honoring the ancient Shoshone Indian tribal hunting custom of harvesting an antelope with one arrow, not speed killing. Many One Shot hunters return to Lander w/o antelope if it is getting close to noon so they can enjoy the event in town. The Shoshone Indians live with us and this hunt is a huge community relations deal. They participate in this event and are an integral part of the hunt. You must understand the importance and value of this relationship with our neighbors.
We appreciate your input and dedication to wildlife.