Turmoil over the Lander One Shot

hoshour

Veteran member
As in all political issues, it matters a lot how many people Rep. Allen hears from. Make sure you write him, even as a nonresident. Since he is on the tourism committee he knows how much money is spent in WY by nonresident hunters. With as much as they spend and as much as they pay the WYGF, it's not a group to tick off. But, they have to let him know they are.

According to a Powell Tribune newspaper article, http://www.powelltribune.com/news/item/15737-big-game-hunting-in-wyoming-a-300-million-industry "Southwick Associates concluded that, on average, each nonresident big game hunter contributed about $2,782 to Wyoming’s economy in 2015. Out-of-state hunters who hired a guide had the largest economic impact: about $7,325 per person, Southwick Associates found."

The article went on say that there were 119,000 big game hunters in WY in 2015 with a total economic contribution of $303 million.

Last edited:

oneshotantelopehunt

Apr 26, 2017
The Oldest Invitational Hunt in the Country

Bullet Point Handout 2.jpgBullet Point Handout.jpg

The Oldest Invitational Hunt in the Country - and the evolution of their 3 sister organizations:

One Shot Antelope Hunt - Established 1940: www.oneshotantelopehunt.com
One Shot Past Shooters Club - Established 1955: www.oneshotpastshooters.com
Water for Wildlife Foundation - Established 1975: www.waterforwildlife.org

All Licenses are purchased at face value through the Wyoming Game & Fish Department, and go directly to the Wyoming Game & Fish

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
View attachment 18801View attachment 18802

The Oldest Invitational Hunt in the Country - and the evolution of their 3 sister organizations:

All Licenses are purchased at face value through the Wyoming Game & Fish Department, and go directly to the Wyoming Game & Fish
Nice, so can my wife and myself both put in?

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
View attachment 18801View attachment 18802

Why are women excluded? And why is it a punishment for the loser to dress as a native American woman and dance for the winners?

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
Before this thread I'd never heard of this hunt (shoot?), so I don't have any skin in the game so to speak. If your against it because they give out tags that could be given to someone else through the draw process the way everyone else has to get a tag then I get your gripe.

I don't see the issue with it being for men only though? There are lots of groups, clubs, events etc that are for either men or women. We don't all have to be included in everything do we? It doesn't bother me when there is something going on that's for women only. To say a group is discriminating because the event is for a certain sex doesn't make sense to me. I guess I'm kind of surprised to see so many people focus in on the fact that it's for men only... there's plenty of other things for women to do and some of them don't allow men either. And that's just fine by me. Political correctness and having to include everyone or else be called a bigot needs to stop IMO... before you know it we'll be letting boys into girls bathrooms and vice versa... oh wait... :p

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Before this thread I'd never heard of this hunt (shoot?), so I don't have any skin in the game so to speak. If your against it because they give out tags that could be given to someone else through the draw process the way everyone else has to get a tag then I get your gripe.

I don't see the issue with it being for men only though? There are lots of groups, clubs, events etc that are for either men or women. We don't all have to be included in everything do we? It doesn't bother me when there is something going on that's for women only. To say a group is discriminating because the event is for a certain sex doesn't make sense to me. I guess I'm kind of surprised to see so many people focus in on the fact that it's for men only... there's plenty of other things for women to do and some of them don't allow men either. And that's just fine by me. Political correctness and having to include everyone or else be called a bigot needs to stop IMO... before you know it we'll be letting boys into girls bathrooms and vice versa... oh wait... :p
Personally if they drew the tags like everyone else, they could do whatever they would like within the law with their tags. Since their getting the tags guaranteed from the state, that's when I have an issue with it not being open to everyone.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
Personally if they drew the tags like everyone else, they could do whatever they would like within the law with their tags. Since their getting the tags guaranteed from the state, that's when I have an issue with it not being open to everyone.
I can see that point and tend to agree with it. Sounds like a lot of notable people have taken part in years past. Surprised I've never heard of it. Must not be too much objection since it's been going on since 1940?

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
I remember last year i think i heard of an all womens one shot jackrabbit hunt or i think it was a 10 shot jackrabbit hunt. It was for women only and held in Shoshoni! Not that they have to buy liscenses or anything like that, but it was a womens only event. I think men could guide them or take them out but no shooting. I think it was more for the women to hunt and get together and not have the big male competition ego going around. So that is an all womens hunt! Anyone else hear of this?

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
The one shot hunt has been written about many times and glorified at times is the hunting rags I read as a kid. Would see mention every once in a while in the 70's - 80's, probably by a writer invited there. Found out you could shoot more than once later... If that's what they want to do, and can support it, while it seems outdated, OK I guess.

But I think I'd go for two tags, show up with the better half, and make em squirm, cameras rolling...that's how I'd roll. That or maybe some gender identity play... This could actually become fun.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
Check out this women's only antelope hunt in Wyoming... http://wyomingwomensantelopehunt.org Doesn't say where the tags come from though. Or at least I didn't see that information.

I personally think it's great to see a bunch of women get together and share in a hunt like this. Even if men aren't included. We have a few women's only hunts here in Colorado too. I think they are sponsored by the CPW's women afield program (or something like that).

A quick google search reveals plenty of women only hunts...

Last edited:

7mag

Sep 1, 2014
Wyoming
Im with CoHiCntry. I was born and raised in lander. I have attended several of the one shot banquets and trust me women are not totally excluded from the events. I shot my first antelope in area 65. Havnt put in for it again since then after realizing there is alot bigger bucks in nearby areas. The shooters get 1 bullet for the whole hunt. If they miss with that 1 bullet they are done hunting. I use to listen to the radio station 1330 KOVE while hunting opening day and many times i had my antelope before anybody in the one shot got theirs. (Its a country station that gives updates on how the 1 shot is going) I dont think that makes me an ungrateful rushed antelope hunter. It was kindof fun actually. I havnt read anybodys opinions about the womens only antelope hunt in Gillette or the womens 5 shot rabbit hunt in Shoshoni. Both those events men are excluded from so are they considered sexist too? As far as the unsuccesful hunters dressing as indian women and trying to dance like natives after a bunch of drinks, everybody is laughing including the natives and the losers. It might not be politicly correct but in no way is it ment to degrade anybody. Its just for laughs. Wyoming is ran off the good old boy system and Lander thrives on it. It is bullshit that many tags are given to the one shot but oh well. Nobody on here asks about 65 and if you want my opinion with 31 yeats of running around all that public land around lander and 19 years of hunting it... its not worth putting in for it. There is plenty of other areas with alot more antelope with better genetics and a whole lot less hunting pressure.

JM77

Apr 25, 2016
Casper, Wyoming
Im with CoHiCntry. I was born and raised in lander. I have attended several of the one shot banquets and trust me women are not totally excluded from the events. I shot my first antelope in area 65. Havnt put in for it again since then after realizing there is alot bigger bucks in nearby areas. The shooters get 1 bullet for the whole hunt. If they miss with that 1 bullet they are done hunting. I use to listen to the radio station 1330 KOVE while hunting opening day and many times i had my antelope before anybody in the one shot got theirs. (Its a country station that gives updates on how the 1 shot is going) I dont think that makes me an ungrateful rushed antelope hunter. It was kindof fun actually. I havnt read anybodys opinions about the womens only antelope hunt in Gillette or the womens 5 shot rabbit hunt in Shoshoni. Both those events men are excluded from so are they considered sexist too? As far as the unsuccesful hunters dressing as indian women and trying to dance like natives after a bunch of drinks, everybody is laughing including the natives and the losers. It might not be politicly correct but in no way is it ment to degrade anybody. Its just for laughs. Wyoming is ran off the good old boy system and Lander thrives on it. It is bullshit that many tags are given to the one shot but oh well. Nobody on here asks about 65 and if you want my opinion with 31 yeats of running around all that public land around lander and 19 years of hunting it... its not worth putting in for it. There is plenty of other areas with alot more antelope with better genetics and a whole lot less hunting pressure.
First, it's five areas; 65,66,67,68 & 106. Second, the group is allowed to issue the extra 56 tags to whoever they want. Most go to past shooters. They want 24 tags to have this "traditional" one shot hunt, so be it. The extra tags need to go back in the drawing and issued fairly. Wyoming wildlife should not be exploited for this event.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I'll try to answer some of the questions, why this has become an "issue" now, and my feelings about it.

First of all, like many others I had heard of the one shot hunt, but never knew much about it...a theme that I've heard over and over again when telling people about it.

The catalyst for the light being shined on this, has 100% to do with HB60 that would have created 80 tags for the womens only pronghorn hunt.

The legislation was introduced and it copied existing law that give 80 tags to the mens only one shot hunt. After doing some research, we found that only 8 3-man teams were actually competing in the one shot hunt. We also knew that the womens hunt was only hosting about 40 women hunters. So, we thought rather than head down the slippery slope of 80 more tags being taken out of the draw and allocated for the exclusive use of one group, we would amend the current legislation to allot 40 to the mens hunt and 40 to the womens hunt. Keep in mind that I am very leery of any tag set-asides, I'm a firm supporter of the North American Model, and one of the tenants is equal access to wildlife resources. I'm also firm in my stance that hunting should not be an exclusive sport, but an inclusive sport.

Anyway, after digging around more, we found out about this whole "past shooters" issue. It seems that the remaining 56 tags are given to past shooters who have competed in the one shot hunt. These tags, as well as the one shot tags, can be used throughout the season and are valid for units 65, 66, 67, 68, and 106. Also fair to note that the 56 past shooter tags can be transferred to another person of the past shooters choice...essentially making those 56 tags, one of very few cases where a tag can be "transferable". Also, the one shot club has written all the rules about how the tags are distributed, I know of no other case where tags are "issued" that way in Wyoming.

Like has been stated, if these tags were drawn through the same process as everyone else, I would have no problem with it. But, when a state asset is being given to a private club, that then discriminates against women hunters...yeah, I have a problem with that. This whole argument of tradition is bullchit...it was a tradition in the past to own slaves too.

But, it gets better. For those wanting to dive into the 990 forms from the 501 c3 status that the past shooters and one shot hunt have, you'll find some things that are interesting there as well. Like donating 120K to remodel the community center in Lander, or spend a bunch of money on bronze statues. Glad to see our public wildlife resources are being used to remodel community centers in Lander, while our legislature slashed 5.3 million worth of general fund money from the GF department.

Now on the water for wildlife foundation...some interesting things there too. One would think that, again, if Wyomings/our public wildlife resources are being plundered by the well-heeled, our wildlife would be the beneficiary of 100% of the money that is raised at this event. Nope, a majority of the water projects have been completed in 11 other states and from the newspaper article, apparently South Africa as well. If those other 11 States and South Africa want to do water projects, maybe they should use their wildlife resources to raise money for those efforts...and Wyoming can keep the money they raise from the sale of our State assets in Wyoming.

As to the connection to the tribe, it should be noted that the tribe is paid to participate in the ceremonies surrounding the hunt. The whole "one arrow" argument presented in the tribune article is pure malarkey...no such tradition ever existed, as per the information on the one shot home page. It was started by a group of white guys bragging around a campfire.

This is 2017, not 1950 time for a change and time for the State to take a hard and critical look at handing out our State assets to a discriminatory hunt. Discrimination toward the fastest growing demographic of the hunting community, women hunters.

There is not much right about this whole deal as it is being currently conducted and its flown under the radar long enough...time for some exposure to the truth.

Last edited:

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Oh, and for 7mag, the areas in question hold some pretty fine pronghorn hunting, including B&C class bucks.

Neither of the bucks my family has taken, with tags they drew, are B&C bucks, but definitely solid bucks all the same. My Dad would love to hunt the area he killed his buck in again, but he has to wait his turn with everyone else...unless you're a past shooter of the one shot hunt, then you can hunt it every year.

I bet there's a couple/few R and NR hunters that would be pretty happy with these bucks.

Last edited:

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a women's only antelope hunt in Douglas, WY. I thought I read about that a time or two before.
Yes, but they draw their tags through the drawing...not even close to the same thing as whats going on with the mens only one shot hunt.

JM77

Apr 25, 2016
Casper, Wyoming
So the issue is how they get their tags, not discrimination against women.
Have you been to the One Shot CoHiCntry?

The One Shot has been around as a men's only event and identified with the state of Wyoming, long before the Wyoming Women's Foundation ever had their women's hunt. Now WWF has become the excuse for the One Shot to be men only. Fine, but not on my wildlife, reserved and supplied by my state.

If you are looking for "real" issues, how about the one that makes a past shooter another class of citizen that is guaranteed an antelope license the year after they are in the One Shot and ridiculously better odds than all other hunters every year after that? That's 56 antelope licenses in quality hunt areas every year simply because the club choose you to participate in their "competition".

Heap on the men only "stag" events that go on, the Indian maiden dance of the losers, using funds on projects out of the state and out of the country (one can only imagine what that South African connection is) and it becomes beyond hard to support this event.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
So the issue is how they get their tags, not discrimination against women.
Didn't you read Buzz's post # 34? Of course it's about discrimination against women by a "Club" of well heeled/well connected yahoos who get their tags EVERY year and can legally transfer those tags to anyone THEY choose. This is a "Good Old Boys" club that needs to be disbanded. The ranks include Governors/legislators/actors/sports figures etc. They are plundering Wyoming's wildlife.