Turmoil over the Lander One Shot

JM77

Apr 25, 2016
Casper, Wyoming
The Lander One Shot hunt is in the news today over a legislative committee looking into complimentary licenses. The famous hunt, where teams of three men try to kill an antelope with one shot in the quickest time, is under fire because they are issued 56 extra antelope licenses (through the G&F) to past shooters. Each year the state guarantees these licenses to the One Shot making a past shooter "privileged" over all other applicants.

Oh, and to top that, only men are allowed. In a ceremony after the hunt, the "losers" are dressed up as women and dance with the "Indian maidens"! Stag events are also held throughout the event over a four or five day period.

Yes, this is in the "Equality State".

http://trib.com/lifestyles/recreation/lawmakers-to-discuss-complimentary-hunting-licenses-including-for-a-male/article_e3fcf4a2-eb6c-5062-a3f3-266929c88b26.html

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Uhhh can you say "outdated"? Much like the golf club that until very recently did not allow women golfers.
Also doesn't that mean that any previous tagholder anywhere in the state should also be guaranteed a tag every year?

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Tried to get some set aside tags for a female only hunt and they wouldn't pass it.
Not exactly the Equality State. Can't say I'm proud of this situation. Hope it gets lots of bad press this year.

SPAZ

Apr 16, 2014
Are there any photos out there that could be shared of the losers dressed as women? Sounds kinky.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Ethically, I am opposed to the killing of any animal for the sake of competition. This "hunt" is wrong on so many levels.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Uhhh can you say "outdated"? Much like the golf club that until very recently did not allow women golfers.
Also doesn't that mean that any previous tagholder anywhere in the state should also be guaranteed a tag every year?
This is correct, each year 56 past shooters of the one shot hunt, can hunt some of the best pronghorn units in the State because they participated in the event. Not to mention the other 24 that compete in the hunt who also get tags in those same areas.

Pretty good deal to be a participant in a hunt that discriminates against women hunters and be rewarded with guaranteed pronghorn tags every year...

Meanwhile, all the other R and NR hunters wait their turn to draw those same tags, some with draw odds as low as 2-4 percent (with no points).

This is only scratching the surface of the multiple problems with this hunt.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Its also indefensible that a State asset is given to a private club that discriminates against women hunters...you know, who are only the fastest growing segment of the hunting population.

I guess they forgot about one of the top tenants of the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation, which is: Public access to wildlife, regardless of social or economic status, including hunting, fishing, and trapping is a right of citizenship

Unless you want to hunt in the one shot hunt, then its not your right anymore.

hoshour

Veteran member
I wrote a letter to Rep. Jim Allen of Lander today at Jim.Allen@wyoleg.gov. He is chairman of the Travel and Recreation Legislature committee that plans to discuss complimentary licenses. I suggest you do the same.

The gist of my letter is this. These are not my exact words, just a summary.

1) The special favoritism to a good ol' boy group whereby they get a guarantee of 43% of the total tags for unit 65 is offensive when draw odds for nonresidents paying high tag fees are 2-4%.

2) The statement by the local Lander biologist that these 56 tags are extra tags and might not be given out if the Hunt was not held is nonsense. Essentially, he is saying that it doesn't matter whether unit 65 has 75 tags available for the draw or 75 + 56 tags. Really? Is this the acceptable range for a biologist recommendation on tag #s?

3) Another problem is this is a contest to see who can kill antelope the fastest, a sort of high-speed shootout of wild game. This is offensive and disrespects a remarkable animal. It is a state-sponsored blow to the ethical hunting ideal that is so important to genuine hunters and critical to the sport's image.

4) Adding a women's hunt only compounds the problem on a hunt that should not be happening.

JM77

Apr 25, 2016
Casper, Wyoming
I recognize 2 of the people in this photo! The one on the far right is Ed Sullivan former Wyoming Governor, the one on the far left is Alan Simpson former Wyoming senator. Don't know the 2 fellas in the middle though!
Far right is former Gov Mike Sullivan and yes, former Sen Alan Simpson far left.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I wrote a letter to Rep. Jim Allen of Lander today at Jim.Allen@wyoleg.gov. He is chairman of the Travel and Recreation Legislature committee that plans to discuss complimentary licenses. I suggest you do the same.

The gist of my letter is this. These are not my exact words, just a summary.

1) The special favoritism to a good ol' boy group whereby they get a guarantee of 43% of the total tags for unit 65 is offensive when draw odds for nonresidents paying high tag fees are 2-4%.

2) The statement by the local Lander biologist that these 56 tags are extra tags and might not be given out if the Hunt was not held is nonsense. Essentially, he is saying that it doesn't matter whether unit 65 has 75 tags available for the draw or 75 + 56 tags. Really? Is this the acceptable range for a biologist recommendation on tag #s?

3) Another problem is this is a contest to see who can kill antelope the fastest, a sort of high-speed shootout of wild game. This is offensive and disrespects a remarkable animal. It is a state-sponsored blow to the ethical hunting ideal that is so important to genuine hunters and critical to the sport's image.

4) Adding a women's hunt only compounds the problem on a hunt that should not be happening.
I like your pluck...many times its not convenient or easy to speak up for what's right. Well done.

This one is going to likely take "all hands on deck" to see meaningful change.

JM77

Apr 25, 2016
Casper, Wyoming
Thats right got it mixed up with an Ed Sullivan i know. Thanks JM77.
You were closer than you think. Former Gov Ed Hershler must have came to mind! Gov Mike Sullivan lives in Casper. Hope I bump into him sometime. He is actually a very nice guy. Would like to hear his take on this.

Several years back Mike Sullivan represented a landowner in a land swap that would have taken away thousands of acres of public land elk hunting. We had a public forum and he showed up to push his clients cause. The women in the audience gave poor Mike no quarter. He got an a$$ chewing I'm sure he'll never forget. That's what needs to happen with this One Shot mess; people need to be heard!