Turkey's, let's see them

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Here's my first of the year, and my 12 year old son called him while I made the sneak on him in the thick oak trees.image.jpg The trip was to have him take his first bird, but he didn't feel comfortable going run and gunning! Next time for him:)

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Thanks guys, we saw a lot of turkey's but where we were hunting the ranch got a lot of pressure so we had to run a gun. Maybe next Sunday we'll get my son his first. Thanks again!

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Matt, I tried to save save feathers for you so you could tie up some super "bees" or those what dragon you used on the Madison! Oh well that's why they have fly shops!

bghunter

Jun 23, 2015
Granite Bay, CA
Congratulations! That is the way to start the season. I don't have time to hunt turkey this spring, working hard to get ready for BG this season.

Pete,
Do you hunt pigs in N CA? I would like to go for couple days pig hunting on my BD, April 1st. Need to find some new public area as I did not pay for my private club this year, last year I hunted their property only once, was very busy with out of state hunting.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Bg, I used to hunt them pretty hard when I lived in Petaluma and haven't since. I'd research Lake Sonoma area, it's archery only but closed now. I believe it opened in November to mid March. If you have a boat it's a place to go.

bghunter

Jun 23, 2015
Granite Bay, CA
Bg, I used to hunt them pretty hard when I lived in Petaluma and haven't since. I'd research Lake Sonoma area, it's archery only but closed now. I believe it opened in November to mid March. If you have a boat it's a place to go.
Thank you!
I do have a boat, will check it out. I would like to find few areas that is not closed during spring, will work on it next weekend.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Posted this on the Gobble, gobble post, but figured I'd share it here too.

Had a family turkey hunting day with my wife, son, and daughter, with some great results. My son who is 7 wanted to do some calling this year so I picked him up a crystal pot call, which he has gotten pretty good at. We walked out some willow patches and did some calling. The last setup my son did all the calling and this gobbler came rolling in with about 12 hens, the problem was it was so thick that I couldn't tell which bird had a beard, then my son hit a few hard cuts, and he went up into full strut, bad decision at that point for him because he was only 12 yards at that point.

101_0184.jpg

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Very nice bird congrats! I hope to get another Sunday!
Good luck to you tomorrow!,
We've got one more tag for north of us, headed up there at the end of the month for a weekend to give it a shot. Never hunted up there, but drove out a few roads a couple weeks ago and seen a fair amount of birds, so there's a chance.