Turkey Recipes?

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
So... I just finished up moving into a new house this past weekend and realized I have several turkey breasts in the freezer. I was surprised because they normally don't take long to get eaten. Instead of simply cooking them up my same old favorite ways I'd like to try something different.

Ideas? Just be warned... your recipe may end up in a Wingmen video or edition of Wingbeats!

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
We eat wild turkey about once a week here, and generally turn it into some sort of Chinese food. I'll go dig up the recipes, but favorites are Cashew Turkey, General Tso Turkey and Kung Pao Turkey. Had Kung Pao just last night!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Grind them with bacon and use the burger for sliders, turkey burgers, breakfast sausage, etc. It is very good. To my knowledge, everyone I have convinced to do this with a bird in the past is now exclusively doing this with all turkeys harvested. I gave the tip to a Kansas outfitter and he now does this with 90% of his clients turkeys as well. For bacon, I usually buy the bacon ends and pieces from Walmart. One of those packages per boned turkey has been a pretty good mix ratio.

Reactions: THelms

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Grind them with bacon and use the burger for sliders, turkey burgers, breakfast sausage, etc. It is very good. To my knowledge, everyone I have convinced to do this with a bird in the past is now exclusively doing this with all turkeys harvested. I gave the tip to a Kansas outfitter and he now does this with 90% of his clients turkeys as well. For bacon, I usually buy the bacon ends and pieces from Walmart. One of those packages per boned turkey has been a pretty good mix ratio.
Sounds good but I already do that with most of my waterfowl, thanks though.

Reactions: Hilltop

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
We usually just slice the breast into strips and then throw them into a marinade for a day then throw them onto the BBQ.

For legs, thighs, and legs we just drop them into the soup pot.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't made duck out house burger... Interesting idea. We make a lot of jerky from our geese and some big ducks. Any species better than another when it comes to bacon burger?
Not really, we eat a lot of the birds I kill but mixing it up and having some variety is nice. When it comes to grinding I just mix it all up and grind away. For breakfast sausage I grind it with 30-40% bacon, for burger and brats, snack sticks and salami I use pork butts... gives it nice fat content without

Reactions: Hilltop

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Cashew Turkey

Turkey:
1-2 pounds turkey breast
2 eggs
1 cup milk
Salt to season
Cube turkey breast, marinade in milk/egg mixture for a minimum of an hour. place in egg wash, coat with your favorite breading (I use a 50/50 mix of flour and cornmeal.) Deep fry until done.

Sauce:
2T corn starch
1 cup chicken broth
2T oyster sauce
2T soy sauce
1t sugar
Pepper to taste

Dissolve cornstarch in a small amount of broth, add remainder of broth gradually to make a paste. Whisk together oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar and pepper. Add more broth if necessary to make the consistency of gravy.
Whisk over medium-high heat until sauce boils and begins to thicken.

Serve over rice, and garnish with cashews and green onions
**Double sauce if serving more than a pound of turkey

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Kung Pao turkey

Turkey:
1-2 pounds turkey breast
2 eggs
1 cup milk
Salt to season
Cube turkey breast, marinade in milk/egg mixture for a minimum of an hour. place in egg wash, coat with your favorite breading (I use a 50/50 mix of flour and cornmeal.) Deep fry until done.

Sauce:
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons cornstarch

Directions
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon fresh grated ginger
½ green bell pepper
½ red bell pepper

In a medium bowl, stir in soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, hoisin sauce, sesame oil and cornstarch until cornstarch is dissolved. Set aside
In a wok, add oil and red pepper flakes. Add the bell peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes until slightly softened. Stir in minced garlic and ginger, cook 1 minute. Add cooked turkey and then add the sauce, stir to coat and heat through.

Serve over rice, garnish with peanuts and green onions
**we generally add additional vegetables – edamame, sweet peppers, sliced carrots, etc.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
General Tso

Turkey:
1-2 pounds turkey breast
2 eggs
1 cup milk
Salt to season

Sauce:
2T peanut oil
1T minced ginger
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic minced
3T rice vinegar
2t hoisin sauce
¼ cup water
3T sugar
1T cornstarch
2 cups mixed vegetables

Add rice vinegar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, water, sugar and cornstarch in a bowl and mix to dissolve cornstarch. Set aside
Add oil to a wok and cook ginger, garlic and pepper flakes for 1 minute. Add vegetables and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add cooked turkey and then add the sauce, stirring to coat and heat through – about 1 minute to allow sauce to thicken.

Serve over rice

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
That turkey pot pie looks good, I'm going to have to try that one.

We really enjoy the above recipes. Our turkeys go a long way, and generally last a full year like this, since they're cooked in 1-2 pound increments. When butchering, I usually just go ahead and cube up my birds and vac seal them in 1 pound increments.
My wife insists I shoot my allotted 2 Missouri and 2 Kansas birds per year, to keep us supplied in turkeys. It's a tough gig, but a man's gotta keep Momma happy!

sigpros

Very Active Member
Aug 10, 2011
missouri
Fink those look like some dang good recipes. Hopefully we get one tomorrow and I will try all those out. I think we will be hunting out in your neck of the woods. I think the turkeys should be out good tomorrow with the sun after these couple crappy days. I haven't hunted turkeys in about 18 years hope I don't fail the boy in the morning

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Fink those look like some dang good recipes. Hopefully we get one tomorrow and I will try all those out. I think we will be hunting out in your neck of the woods. I think the turkeys should be out good tomorrow with the sun after these couple crappy days. I haven't hunted turkeys in about 18 years hope I don't fail the boy in the morning
Are you hunting public on the West side of the state, or private? The birds have been ripping it pretty good lately, and I've seen lots of lonely toms from 11-1. If you guys don't kill one early, I'd bet on some good mid day action.

Good luck!

sigpros

Very Active Member
Aug 10, 2011
missouri
Fink my boy drew a management hunt at burr oak woods. Fingers crossed the sun tomorrow has them ready to put on a show and come to the decoys

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Fink my boy drew a management hunt at burr oak woods. Fingers crossed the sun tomorrow has them ready to put on a show and come to the decoys
Dang it.... Wish I would have know about this a while back, I would have patterned a bird for him. My house backs up to Burr Oaks. Hope he smacks one!

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
That turkey pot pie looks good, I'm going to have to try that one.

We really enjoy the above recipes. Our turkeys go a long way, and generally last a full year like this, since they're cooked in 1-2 pound increments. When butchering, I usually just go ahead and cube up my birds and vac seal them in 1 pound increments.
My wife insists I shoot my allotted 2 Missouri and 2 Kansas birds per year, to keep us supplied in turkeys. It's a tough gig, but a man's gotta keep Momma happy!
It's amazing! Thanks for sharing your recipes... I'm starving now!

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I love the flavor of wild turkey and think you guys are crazy for making sausage or flavorful sauces for it. To each his own. I cut mine in 1/2” thick strips across the grain, lightly bread them and deep fry it. Get all the wild flavor that way

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
CREAM OF TURKEY
I took a whole turkey (12lbs)and roasted in the oven.
Then let it sit in the pan for 15mins to rest.
After that I cut one of the breasts out to save for another dinner. The rest I shredded up and put in the crockpot. Then take 2 cans of cream of chicken and 1 can of cream of celery and add it to the crockpot.
Add some juices from the pan to the crockpot. Your looking for a sloppy joe or little thicker consistency.
Add salt and pepper to taste. And let sit on low for an hour.
Serve it as a sandwich or open face slice of cheese on top.

Ingredients
12 lb turkey
2 cans cream of chicken 10.5 oz
1 can cream of celery 10.5oz
Salt and pepper
Bread and cheese of your choice