Trout Fishing in Wyoming

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
Just curious if anyone has any insight on on any trout fishing areas in The Big Horns ? I was thinking of heading over that way some time this summer or late summer to try and do some trout fishing. While there elk hunting last fall i did stumble on quite a few small creeks or streams but not sure if there were fish in them. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated! Either thru a post or thru a PM ! Thanks. Luke

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
My son and I are hoping to take a trout fishing trip to the Bighorns this summer as well. I have hunted many times in the Southern Bighorns and every stream we came across had trout in them. We caught cutthroat and brookies mainly . I am thinking about camping at the BLM campground on Buffalo Creek, there is about 5 miles of walk in fishing on Buffalo creak and when I hunted that area I really enjoyed the scenery. I am the farthest thing from an expert but I try hard.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Dip a worm, with stealth, into just about any mountain stream up there and you will have a brook trout in seconds. My family does it just about every summer. If you find slightly larger water, spinners can be deadly. Fly fishing works as well but tough on the smaller creeks.

Reactions: mustang8

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA

I have only stream walked the North Tongue in the Bighorns while scouting; and the pools had trout in them.

I've only fished in WY in the Medicine Bow NF, in the high country along the CO border, and it was just like Hilltop said. Dunk a piece of redworm or a waxworm in a pool/beaver pond in a mountain stream with ultralight spinning tackle or a flyrod (a flyrod with live bait is deadly), and you'll have a lot fun, plusthe fixins for a great supper of fresh trout over a campfire.

Reactions: mustang8

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
Sounds great! Biggest thing i thought of was to stay somewhere that we wouldn't have to drive hours to get to a reasonable creek. Which i do have a place that would probably work for us then. How bad can the bugs get up there in the summer time?

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bugs can be rough some evenings in summer, esp along a mountain creek or beaver dam; but in my limited experience, nowhere near as bad as what I've experienced in the Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota, parts of da Yoop, or WI north of HWY 8, at the same time of summer.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Bugs can be rough some evenings in summer, esp along a mountain creek or beaver dam; but in my limited experience, nowhere near as bad as what I've experienced in the Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota, parts of da Yoop, or WI north of HWY 8, at the same time of summer.
That’s funny! Here in da yoop there are times the bugs will keep you in your house. I have yet to travel anywhere in the summer that had bugs as bad as I have at home. I haven’t been to Northern Minnesota or Canada that time of year but I hear it can get pretty bad there.