Tripods

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Can anyone think of or remember a thread doing a tripod comparison? I tried to search it but came up empty handed. Or maybe an old Eastmans that did a gear review and comparison? I am considering the outdoorsman but they are just so dang expensive. Thanks in advance.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
outdoorsmans are nice, but those prices are tough........
might just try to use there head are another type of tripod?

Reactions: Montana

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Before I went over to South Africa on my hunt I purchased a Bog-Pod to practice off of. To my surprise when I got over there that is exactly what my outfitter and PH were using.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
About 1.5 years ago I went through the same painstaking process of deciding upon a tripod and head while also investing in new glass. I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of different people and I’m very pleased with my decision. Here’s a picture of my set up.
I’m a big fan of flip lock legs and not the twist. I think I’m in the minority but for me it is much simpler and easier to use.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
OOPs I thought that we were talking about shooting stick type of tripods and not one for optics...

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
About 1.5 years ago I went through the same painstaking process of deciding upon a tripod and head while also investing in new glass. I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of different people and I’m very pleased with my decision. Here’s a picture of my set up.
View attachment 33023
I’m a big fan of flip lock legs and not the twist. I think I’m in the minority but for me it is much simpler and easier to use.
I also prefer the flip locks. just find them easier to use , especially when it gets cold and icy out. jmhonmnl

I don't even know the brand I have but have had it for around 40 years now and it has served me well.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
View attachment 33023
I have the same style but twist lock. Very well built. I have the ball-head but want to get a pan-head like yours.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
After several weeks of research chasing the Internet and talking to a multitude of individuals. This seem to be the most well-built, sturdy flip block tripod that I could fine. The dimensions and weight work perfectly for me. I could find nothing better at that point in time.

Reactions: AKaviator

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Outdoorsmans pan hand on top of a Slik634 Pro Carbon fibre.

I think any of the carbon fibre name brand ones are good. I always seem to have issues getting mud and debris in my flip locks so i went with twist.

I settled on the Outdoorsmans panhead as i just wanted something that was simple and had zero creep.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
After several weeks of research chasing the Internet and talking to a multitude of individuals. This seem to be the most well-built, sturdy flip block tripod that I could fine. The dimensions and weight work perfectly for me. I could find nothing better at that point in time.
Thank you for this... I too prefer the flip lock. Where did you end up purchasing that set up? What head is that? Any creep at all?
I too have thought about just getting the outdoorsman head. Something to consider I guess.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Thank you for this... I too prefer the flip lock. Where did you end up purchasing that set up? What head is that? Any creep at all?
I too have thought about just getting the outdoorsman head. Something to consider I guess.
My first tripod was a vortex with flip legs. It was very light and a mid-grade unit at best. Snow got into the cylinders and froze on my -5 degree WY hunt.
I then tried the Promaster XC525 tripod. It was ok, but I just don't like the twist legs. It was sturdy, but just not my style. My phone also never worked right after that trip either. Brrrr
I hunted Co with a guy running the Suiri tripod. It was nice and he was running a larger spotter than me at the time and it was great. I had to do a lot of hunting on the internet to find it. It then took about 4 weeks to come in, but I love it. Seems this model is more plentiful in the twist legs.
I then purchased the head from S&S. For the money, I don't think you can beat it. No creep, smooth to operate and the weight is good.
I did a thread on my spotter and tripod research about this time last year. I moved from a vortex 65 and twist tripod to an Swaro ATX 85 and flip lock and actually saved a few ounces if I recall. Best of both worlds!
PM me for any other questions.

Last edited:

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
FYI, it's been a while since we did one. Might be worth tackling since this is a topic of discussion.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I have 2 slik tripods and 2 cheap Vanguard tripods. All of which have flip locks and all of which work fine for my needs. However, the one slik I got years ago is only high enough to use while sitting down and too flimsy to extend all the way out, which I find seriously annoying for most situations.....

Either way, I of all people should understand the importance of a good tripod. But for some reason I skimp on them.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I also have a Sirui, a carbon fiber T-025x. At 25oz it's one of the lightest out there with the strength I wanted. I have three adapter plates for it. One on my spotting scope, one with a Vortex Uni-Daptor cup on it, and the last on a Triclawps rifle mount. This setup works really well for me, lets me change what I'm using quickly, and gives me tons of flexibility.

One thing I love about the Sirui is it's very quiet to set up and take down. Unlike other tripods I've owned, the legs also stay in place while you twist their locks open/shut. That means you can set it up one-handed. Honestly for a tripod that's not really something I do a lot, but the point is it's a pleasure to use because they put a lot of thought into tiny details. Another example is the lock screws on the head are very fine thread so you can adjust the tension exactly how you want it.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Concerning my flip leglock Sirui 1204:
I also have adapter plates on my camcorder, spotter, and point n shoot camera. I can change from one to the other in about 2-3 sec. but this really comes down to the head. That thing is awesome too.

Reactions: AKaviator