Trekking Poles

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Need to get a new set and wanted to hear some opionions. Seems like Leki and Black Diamond are still the better ones. My priority is collapsible, adjustable, lightweight. Thanks for any input.

Reactions: archeranthony

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I know stock varies store to store, but the Costco in Superior CO regularly carries a decent set of Cascade Mountain poles. It's a good, lightweight set - carbon fiber, cork grips, and a variety of tips for whatever style you like. I see them posted on their Web site for $70 but I definitely didn't pay that much, I think it was around $40-50 when I got them. If you wait for them to be in the store (and your store carries them locally) it's a good deal.

They don't bend and they're super sturdy - I also use them for my tent. Just know the length-adjustment-clamps are plastic and those can be broken. Found that out when I left one in the back of my truck before picking up a load of firewood rounds. Oops.

Catahoula12

Very Active Member
Apr 26, 2013
Colorado, was Az.
Slugz, I’ve been using Mountainsmith Carbonlite Pro trek poles last couple years. I think I bought mine thru Scheels, but I’m sure you can get them directly being the company is out of Golden. The set is slightly over a pound in weight. I liked the price ($75-$80). They collapse and are adjustable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slugz

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I have recently got the black diamond trailback only a few miles on them but like them so far . think I paid about 90 for them . and they weigh in at 1lb

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Short list review in order of price low to high

NAME - Cascade Mountain Tech 3k Quick Locks
COL LENGTH -26"
WEIGHT - 16oz
TYPE - Carbon
MISC - Cork handles, 4 sets of tips, looked nice for price
PRICE - 62$

NAME - S and S Archery CL Back country
COL LENGTH -26"
WEIGHT - 13oz
TYPE - Carbon
MISC - Foam grip
PRICE - 99$

NAME - Black Diamond Distance Z
COL LENGTH -17"
WEIGHT - 14oz
TYPE - Aluminum
MISC - 3 piece/collapsible
PRICE - 100$

NAME - Black Diamond Trail Ergo
COL LENGTH -27"
WEIGHT - 18oz
TYPE - Aluminum
MISC - Cork handles, 15degree grips, foam handle extensions
PRICE - 125$

NAME - Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork
COL LENGTH -25"
WEIGHT - 17oz
TYPE - Carbon
MISC - Cork handles, 15 degree grips, foam handle extensions, documented clip issues
PRICE - 152$

NAME - LEKI Micro Vario
COL LENGTH -15"
WEIGHT - 14oz
TYPE - Carbon
MISC - High rated grip, minimalist design, 3 piece/collapsible, bending flex tips, extended grips
PRICE - 200$

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
So all that being said. I DQed the Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork due to all the negative reviews of clips breaking

BEST 26"-27" - Casacde Mountain Tech / S and S Archery CL Back Country due to similar price and features ( 100$)
NEXT BEST 26"-27" - Black Diamond Trail Ergo (125$) due to slightly higher price and weight

BEST 3 piece Collapsible - Black diamond Distance Z (100$)

Ferrari AWARD - LEKI Micro Vario. Lots of little gucci items on this one. Bending flex tips have saved many a pole for me from breaking.

Short short list.

Cascade Mountain Tech, S and S Archery CL Backcountry
or
Black Diamond Distance Z , LEKI Micro Vario

Next up do I want a 3 piece collapsible ( 15-17") or full length 3 piece ( 26")

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I knocked 2oz out of my hiking poles by removing the wrist straps. I don't think it's that big of a deal - I don't really notice the weight difference. It was just to get them out of the way (they annoy me). But just saying...

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
Cascade mountain Techs from Costco. They are lightweight, affordable and durable. Great piece of equipment and you can upgrade another piece equipment with the money you save on these!

Reactions: Bonecollector

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
S&S Archery CL Backcountry is a great option. I bought them last year and have zero regrets so far. Only used them for 12 days or so, but it was a very hard 12 days. Great group of guys there too in my opinion