Trail cam transfer to tablet?

hskrhntr

Aug 8, 2014
Nebraska
Anybody have a way to transfer pics directly from a trail camera to a Verizon tablet? My cameras are really picky about which cards they'll work with so I don't change out the cards, I just transfer the pics and put the cards back. I don't like taking my laptop out into the field so I'm trying to figure out how to use a tablet instead. Not having much luck. Anybody help is much appreciated!!

squirrelduster

Apr 26, 2011
Sebastopol, Ca
Swap cards is the easier option.
There should be an option in your camera to format the card. Make sure and format the new card after you install it and you shouldn't have any problems. I sell Uway cameras and they work really well and are very reasonably priced.

hoshour

Veteran member
Swapping cards works better because you are not standing there next to your camera, leaving more and more of your scent as you look through the pictures on your tablet. Get the card and go.

I wear rubber boots like Muck Boots to help cut down on the scent I leave. Check them when the wind is blowing so it helps clear your scent, walk slowly and wear light clothing so you don't sweat and stink any more than you have to.

Resist the temptation to run out there every week. I also don't check cards the last 2-3 weeks before opening day.

If you are in and out of the area during the month before the opener, from the perspective of alerting the deer, it's like you started the season a month before you can actually shoot. If you're putting up stands, get them in no later than July, the earlier the better.

This might not be as relevant in the West as the East because the West is drier and windier, but still, I think it is good practice.

hskrhntr

Aug 8, 2014
Nebraska
Got it figured out so I thought I'd share....

I couldn't get the tablet to connect directly to the camera because the tablet didn't have/couldn't download the right drivers.

So, I bought an SD card reader and USB to Go cord. Hooked up no problem. Got a tip off a forum to download ES File Explorer (free app from Google Play store). Worked great. Plugged in the card, went to ES app, I was even able to create a new folder for each camera.

Now I just carry in my tablet in my small back pack, transfer the pics, and put the card back. I put the tablet in a zip lock bag for protection. Works great and it cost less than $20. A lot cheaper than buying ten cards to switch out each camera. Also not risking damaging my laptop carrying it in there.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I always just swap out the cards. That way I can download at my convenience and not have to spend a lot of time at the camera site dispersing scent. When I get a chance I download the photos I want to keep and then erase the card to have it ready for the next card exchange.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
I use a SD card adaptor that plugs into my IPad. Not sure if There is one for your device.
I do the same thing and it'll format the card when it's done downloading the pics!! Easiest way I've come across, its nice to have that big screen to scroll through the pics and check and make sure that you've not got a vacant camera.