To kill or not to kill??

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
If you come to a coyote den along side the road with 5 pups playing cluelessly in the creek bottom below, do you try to wipe them out or let them grow?

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
back in the day I would've cleaned them out, I don't have the heart for that anymore though. easy way to get rid some predators though. the pups are pretty damn cute, just makes it harder to do for some people is all.

laxwyo

Very Active Member
I did some doggin this time of year back in the day and never cared. I don't think I could have shot puppies though. Of course, I enjoy coyote hunting and not doing it for the greater good. There's some evidence that coyote hunting can lead to larger coyote populations because dominant animals are wiped out and more animals breed

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
I was coming down the road and say 2 adults on the hill. All I was carrying was an Old Henry 22 mag open sights. I let a couple ring out and was way too far for the gun and open sights. 3 dogs ended up running away. Then I noticed the dens, 2 of them right there on the side of the hill. I drove another 100 yards or sodown the road, and right below me along the creek were 5 pups playing about 150 yards away. I immediately grabbed the gun and shot one, hitting it in the hind quarter I think. The others continued to play, oblivious of the danger. I emptied my gun, not hitting another. They still played around which allowed me to reload. Again, fired at will, not hitting anything other than dirt. I tried to compensate for wind, dust flying all around my targets. Eventually they went back to their den, which was too far to shoot. I tried to finish off the one I did hit, but continued to miss so I moved on.

Then half way down the road, I started to feel guilt. Not exactly sure why.....maybe cause I knew if I had my 22-250 it would of been like shooting fish in a barrel. Had me thinking, so I wanted to post that question here. All my buddies said let lead fly. One mentioned it was kind of hypocritical to let the pups live only to hunt them in adulthood.

Best believe I learned 2 things.......1, actually spend time with the 22 mag and figure it out. Only have had that rifle for a year or so. I need to get used to those particular sights and learn the capabilities and range. I originally bought it to slaughter ground squirrels. 2, don't leave home without the tried and true 22-250!!

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
back in the day I would've cleaned them out, I don't have the heart for that anymore though. easy way to get rid some predators though. the pups are pretty damn cute, just makes it harder to do for some people is all.
Maybe that was some of my guilt, the pups did look cute and were having a grand ole time in the creek.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
While I wouldn't give anybody grief for whatever choice they made about shooting pups. I personally wouldn't do it just because I don't think it's very sporting. Outsmarting an adult coyote is a different thing.

NE69

Jan 6, 2013
Southwest Nebraska
My Uncle hunted coyotes for most of his life and was pretty deadly at it. He got a pup one time and raised it to adulthood. He still shoots coyotes but it sure made him think a lot more about the killing and how much we respect coyotes. That coyote had quite a personality. His daughter tried to teach it not to kill chickens by tying a dead one on it's neck. Pretty much just let him carry lunch around easier.
I consider the coyote the smartest and toughest trophy to take with a bow. With all the mange around here their numbers are so low and half of what you see are just skin with no hair and no hope of surviving. I couldn't kill pups like that no matter what. I would have let them grow and then hunted them. For me, I don't feel right if I have an unfair advantage over the animal or it isn't a mature animal. Thats just for me though. Everyone needs to make that decision for themselves.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I personally wouldn't consider shooting a bunch of pups as fair chase so I wouldn't do it. In my younger years when it was more about the kill than anything else I would have shot until all were dead or I was out of ammo. If my livelihood was impacted by yotes, I'd kill them too. Perhaps I'm getting soft but I don't think so.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I'm not sure if I could kill them or not although it probably is the best thing for the deer, antelope and cattle. I wouldn't fault anyone for killing them.

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
A friend of mine has a ranch not too far from where I'm at. He's a licensed Wyoming aerial gunner. Two - three years ago, he had a den of coyotes about a 100 yards on the hill behind the house. I asked if he was going to kill them. He said he liked watching them. Said he'd get them later from the plane when they got a little older...

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I personally wouldn't consider shooting a bunch of pups as fair chase so I wouldn't do it. In my younger years when it was more about the kill than anything else I would have shot until all were dead or I was out of ammo. If my livelihood was impacted by yotes, I'd kill them too. Perhaps I'm getting soft but I don't think so.
Shooting most predators, vermin and assorted varmints sure aren't fair chase....imho, it's just elimination problems by whatever means necessary. They sure aren't pets!