To hot for me!

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Too hot for me!

Yesterday was opening day for bow season, I hunted about three hrs in the morning and called it a weekend. It's just to damn warm and I don't even want to try to deal with taking care of an elk in mid 80 degree temperature. Next weekend is calling for 90's, I guess I will have to wait it out. Between all the fires burning in the Cascades and very warm temperatures this will be a short season for me. If it doesn't start raining soon there may not be any timber left to hunt in!

Last edited:

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
I agree! I made the mistake of ending my season early yesterday. Got a bull but man, this heat,bees, flies. What a workout. Good luck to everybody out there this season.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I agree! I made the mistake of ending my season early yesterday. Got a bull but man, this heat,bees, flies. What a workout. Good luck to everybody out there this season.
congrats on your bull.
BUT pics man! no pics it never happened .lol.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
I hope there is water in the lake where I plan to camp in 2 weeks. Starting to get some dew on the ground in the morning, but that sure doesn't seem to be helping cool things off. I am camping 4 miles in. I better not go too much further than that if the weather doesn't get better.

Perhaps avoid shooting in the morning. Shoot in the evening, pack out at night and haul ass for home.

Good luck everyone.

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
was over eastern Oregon this weekend,,saw some elk but didn't get one,,,yes,its damn hot over there,,,leavin soon on my bighorn sheep hunt but it wont matter,,,,Im sheep huntin!!!

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
way hot this way in Idaho still too. I'm glad I decided to hunt rifle in October for elk this year.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Feeling your pain, we soared into the sixties today. It's supposed to cool off though! :)

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Cool it off pretty quick...I'll be down around Vale near the end of the month! Good hunting!

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
It's cooled down enough and it feels good to get out. The deadfall in my spot is really bad this year. The elk are still quiet and the cows I saw yesterday are still single. Maybe next weekend.

IMG_0585.jpg

EOHunter

Jan 26, 2016
Eastern Oregon
We went 0-2 also. I had a buck tag and had plenty of opportunities but luck was not on my side. My buddy had an elk tag and we didn't get into them until later. Had 1 spike come in and saw a few more but they weren't talking at all.

Next up, rifle deer. I just get to tag along but it will be fun either way.

Travisitguy

Sep 9, 2014
Bend, Oregon
I am tossing around the idea of getting a general western deer tag. Living in Central oregon now after being absent for 7years means i must travel at least to the PCT to hunt. not a super big deal, just means more driving. if nothing else this is an excuse to get out with my son so that is a win for sure.

THoughts?