Time to buy points.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have a friend who would purchase tags and points for his youngest son and after a while he wondered if it was worth it.

His boy was out of school and working for a living, so my friend told him that if he wanted to keep hunting that he would have to take some responsibility for the cost of the tags and points and that he wasn't going to finance the tags at 100%. The kid remarked to him that hunting was getting expensive when he first started to buy his own tags and licenses.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I have a friend who would purchase tags and points for his youngest son and after a while he wondered if it was worth it.

His boy was out of school and working for a living, so my friend told him that if he wanted to keep hunting that he would have to take some responsibility for the cost of the tags and points and that he wasn't going to finance the tags at 100%. The kid remarked to him that hunting was getting expensive when he first started to buy his own tags and licenses.
My dad did not hunt. So I never got to experience much as a youngster. I have told my son I will buy points for him till he is 21 then it is on him. He will have to save up to buy his tags. I want him to enjoy his last year in high school and don't really care if he works. I think he just got a job at Wal-Mart. I consider it an investment into him helping me as I get older. I booked us a whitetail hunt in Texas in December. The place is free range and has some really nice bucks. The outfitter said his bucks averaged 140 to 170 . I said is that weight or inches. He got a big kick out of that.

Reactions: sigpros

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I know that in my case back when I was old enough to buy licenses that it was all on me. If I couldn't save enough money throughout the year to buy my fishing and hunting licenses then I didn't go fishing or hunting. But that didn't stop me, I always put away the license money as fast as I could, then came ammo money. There were a couple of years that I was collecting pop bottles to take into the store for the refunds.

My dads job prevented him from doing any hunting, he never knew where he was going to be at when the season came around and most of the time he was working in a different state and didn't have any time off to figure out where he could hunt in that state, not to even think of our home state. But the hunting bug bit me hard the few times when I was very young so I had incentive to get that tag money put away before I thought about anything else.