time limits for camping on federal land

droptine

May 19, 2014
Minnesota
So if I want to set up camp on federal land. There is a 16 day limit, then I have to pull stakes and head somewhere else. My question is , can outfitters get a permit of some sorts to stay longer than 16 days?? Just curious.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Most outfitters have a permitted camp that is written into their use permit. .they can't change its location without going through a full process with forest service. When running summer pack trips we were still obligated to abide by the 16 day rule until we set up our fall camp which wasn't allowed till a certain date. ..different states can be a little different. ..but yes outfitters will be allowed to leave their camps, you will not

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Camping limits vary in different forests. Some areas allow 16 days some less. Now you do have to physically move your camp after the limit. Sometimes they check, most times do not unless you have a big camp that is very conspicuous.

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
Yes outfitter permits can be longer and up to the entire hunting season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I set up the wall tent Aug 27th and it comes down end of 1st rifle. Not saying this is correct or right.....but I check in with the NF CDOW office and let them know where I'm gonna be......they tell me every year as long as its not left for longer than a 4 day period unattended its ok.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
ive been told by rangers it doesn't matter how long I'm set up as long as tent is moved once a very couple week as to not totally kill grass.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Enforcement is really hit & miss. We have a lot of problems in our local NF with long time campers during the summer. They really watch the 2 week limit. BLM has a 2 week limit here also.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Where I live it is heavily enforced in western wyoming. .there is such a shortage of housing, people live in tents to work in town, so Rangers are very diligent in following the 16 day limits on the drive-to campsites around here. ..definitely every area is going to be different depending on the agency etc

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
I guess it all depends where you are and who's the warden or USFS worker that asks. Some areas in Colorado are patrolled harder than others. It also depends on outfitters in the area as they somewhat become a more mobile communication center for the USFS. Not all outfitters are gonna throw a fit if ur there longer but some will. If ur closer to trailhead a or roads they usually watch closer but the deeper you are the less ur gonna get bothered

missjordan

Veteran member
Dec 9, 2014
Missoula, MT
Our hunting area in Montana is also posted but many people leave their camp trailers and tents up for weeks at a time, if not the whole season. However most of the trailers that are being left are 15-30 miles back from civilization and it's pretty rural community anyways. We choose to camp closer to town and always take everything home even if we plan on returning. Just don't like the idea of leaving our camper unattended for that long

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
WOW. What kind of work are they willing to do this for? What city?

Where I live it is heavily enforced in western wyoming. .there is such a shortage of housing, people live in tents to work in town, so Rangers are very diligent in following the 16 day limits on the drive-to campsites around here. ..definitely every area is going to be different depending on the agency etc

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Jackson. .there are at least 6 pages of job ads in the paper constantly because there aren't enough workers still to keep up with the economy here. ..besides the seasonal b.s. jobs, there are plenty of Good paying carpenter/construction/electrician jobs as well. . I live here because of the hunting and snowmobiling and endless list of things I can do minutes from where I live...but the area has a serious housing crisis that isn't going to be solved quickly

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Is there a website or KMZ of outfitter outpost camp locations (Latitude/Longitude) on the internet anywhere for Colorado/Wyoming? You can feel free to PM me this information if you would like.

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
I don't believe Colorado had any sort of site for you to see camp locations. That could potentially screw over every outfitter in the state if everyone knew where their camps were. Not saying every outfitter camp is in the best location but they do pay for their camps and work to get more.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
If an outfitter/guide service is paying to lease something on FEDERAL or STATE owned land I feel that I have a RIGHT know where they have a permanent camp site set up at. Especially since they are guiding and making a living on land that I partly own being a tax paying citizen....

After all it is a privilege/license that an outfitter service is encumbering the federal government / State departments with to make a living using something that belongs to the people..

I feel this should be public information.

Just saying.

Last edited:

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
There are so many more things I'd be worried about over where outfitters have their camps.

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
The reason that I would like to know where they have their camps is to avoid the people they pack back in there. I want to be as far from those outfitters camps as possible. If I knew where those camps were at I could avoid them.