Time is up! Good luck!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I actually think that there are a couple of reasons. For one you no longer have to put the money for the tag up front. For a non resident that is a huge advantage. No longer do they need to come up with $1000+ just to put in for a draw.

Then we are still in the era of Covid. More people are looking to get outdoors and find a cheaper way to obtain their meat for the winter. I was in the grocery store the other day and about fell over when I saw the price of beef and pork. Costco rotisserie chickens are looking real good right now at $5 each for a cooked 3lb bird

Reactions: D_Dubya

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
Colo continues to be one of the nonres friendly states in the West. I'm sure a lot of guys are applying for a tag rather than pts in 2021 to take full advantage of the later deer rifle dates. I thought it was time to get the monkey off my back. I applied for a 2nd season tag with 17 res pts that only took around 10 pts to draw last year. I don't think I would draw a 3rd season tag in the same unit. I just want to go hunting and am a bit spooked about the quality of bucks taking a dive with the increase in tags plus later season dates in the coming years. My guess is there will be fewer and fewer quality B&C bucks coming out of Western Colo. Well managed private land in Eastern Colo will continue to produce whoppers but it's either super expensive to go guided (with a waiting list) or impossible to gain permission.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I actually think that there are a couple of reasons. For one you no longer have to put the money for the tag up front. For a non resident that is a huge advantage. No longer do they need to come up with $1000+ just to put in for a draw.

Then we are still in the era of Covid. More people are looking to get outdoors and find a cheaper way to obtain their meat for the winter. I was in the grocery store the other day and about fell over when I saw the price of beef and pork. Costco rotisserie chickens are looking real good right now at $5 each for a cooked 3lb bird
if your looking for a cheaper way to obtain the meat , hunting ain't it!
though it woiuldn't b as enjoyable, if yer searching for cheap meat , one would be better off sharing a cell with bubba.:eek:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
if your looking for a cheaper way to obtain the meat , hunting ain't it!
though it woiuldn't b as enjoyable, if yer searching for cheap meat , one would be better off sharing a cell with bubba.:eek:
Actually if I am just looking for a animal for some meat it is fairly cheap. Most of my firearms have been paid for for a very long time so there isn't much cost there figuring the amount of meat I have brought home with them. I also figure that I have to eat, it doesn't matter if I am hunting or sitting at home watching TV. There is gas and wear and tear on my vehicle that does figure into the equation, but if I am hunting out of my house it really isn't that much. I do my own butchering most of the time so there is the paper to wrap the meat up in.

Now if I am just going out to have some fun, then yes it can get expensive and real fast. Especially when I start passing up animals that I could of shot and brought home.

Reactions: D_Dubya and kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Actually if I am just looking for a animal for some meat it is fairly cheap. Most of my firearms have been paid for for a very long time so there isn't much cost there figuring the amount of meat I have brought home with them. I also figure that I have to eat, it doesn't matter if I am hunting or sitting at home watching TV. There is gas and wear and tear on my vehicle that does figure into the equation, but if I am hunting out of my house it really isn't that much. I do my own butchering most of the time so there is the paper to wrap the meat up in.

Now if I am just going out to have some fun, then yes it can get expensive and real fast. Especially when I start passing up animals that I could of shot and brought home.
I am in the same boat . most of my expenses have been paid years ago.

but for newbies , the price can get high aweful quick.

Reactions: D_Dubya