Tikka T3 Lite 25-06 Antelope/Deer Gun Ammo Suggestions

Ricochet

Feb 1, 2012
Sherwood, Oregon
I just ordered a new Tikka T3 Lite 25-06 for my up coming Wyoming antelope hunt. Hopefully I draw at least the doe tags we put in for. Does anybody have a factory ammo suggestions for this gun and also good for antelope? I did a bunch of research on this gun and it got good reviews. There is a lot of upgrades available for this gun. First I'm going to cerakote all metal parts. I going to put the Bell and Carlson stock on it. I going to upgrade the scope rings and put a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 scope on it. Does anybody have any suggestions for any other upgrades? I hear they are accurate out of the box but I want to have some fun with making it my own. Thanks

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
What twist rate comes factory in that gun?? I'd buy 3-4 brands of factory stuff and plug away with it. It's amazing how one particular brand or bullet shoots 100x better than others. I personally like 110-120gr pills in the 25-06. I'll get a ration of crap for this but my favorite bullet for a 25-06 is the 115gr Ballistic tip!!!! Good luck in the draws, I hope I get lucky for Wyo myself!!

Last edited:

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
Some of the best shooting and performing factory ammo I've found is the federal stuff with 117gr Sierra Game King bullets. This is the hunting bullet I load for my 25-06 as well for antelope and deer. I would try several different loads for your new rifle though and find something it likes.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
The Federal Power-Shock with the Speer 117gr Hot-Cor is a deadly round, my buddy has used it for years from Antelope to Cow Elk. Yeah it's not a premo bullet, but it mushrooms very well and the velocity is not an issue with it blowing up!! And it has a decent BC especially for a SP!

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
I load for our family's 25-06 and I prefer 110-120 gr. bullets in the 25-06 also. The 110 gr. Nosler Accubond is a great bullet for deer and antelope and any of the partition loadings are as well. I mainly use the 120 gr. Partition in my wife's 25-06. I think you will really like that Tikka. They are shooters and the 25-06 is just a great rifle. We have taken a couple elk with this 25-06 in addition to antelope, deer, and coyotes. That's a great cartridge.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Congratulations on selecting a great caliber,,,,and gun too. I load a Sierra 117 Game King BT with 53 gr 4831 sc, my Ruger M77 loves it as much as I do. Shoots sub moa out to 500 yds with no problem. Shot a nice buck antelope in Wy a couple of years that was 417 yards, on shot. My gun shoots the sc better than standard 4831.

jims

Oct 5, 2012
KC Missouri
I agree with Woodtick on the 115 grain Ballistic Tips in the .25-06. They are a very good bullet. My Sako would not group Accubonds, so I tried Ballistic Tips. Very accurate with RL22 in my gun. Since I antelope hunted with that load last year, I gave it a try on whitetails last fall during our doe firearms season. Not sure how the Ballistic Tips would perform at closer range, but they worked great. Not my ideal whitetail load, but great for antelope.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
The Federal Power-Shock with the Speer 117gr Hot-Cor is a deadly round, my buddy has used it for years from Antelope to Cow Elk. Yeah it's not a premo bullet, but it mushrooms very well and the velocity is not an issue with it blowing up!! And it has a decent BC especially for a SP!
That is my favorite factory load in my Encore Pro-Hunter pistol. Priced right too. Speer does not get the credit it deserves for its working man's bullets. I have developed a comparable load with the 115 gr. Ballistic Tip. So far, my most efficient powder has been RL-25.

Last edited:

7stwluver

Mar 27, 2014
Piedmont america
Barnes vortex is what I'd use if I didn't handload and it shot well in my rifle. Another option would be federal's premium line also with loaded with barnes bullets. But I'm a huge fan of barnes won't shoot anything bigger than a coyote with anything else.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I have a Tikka T3. I didn't have very good results with the Federal vital shoks with the barnes tsx bullet. I ended up using the Federal vital shoks with the nosler partition.

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
My 25-06rem shoots both Hornady 117gr SST and Federal Fusion 120gr equally well. Both would be good for deer/antelope/bear and if you limit your range and wait for a good broadside I wouldn't hesitate using either for elk or moose. I have a Tikka T3 featherlite s/s in 270win and it is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned or shot(hunting rifles), I didn't change a thing.

vince

Banned
Jul 10, 2012
I like the Nosler 100 grain Partition in my 25-06. My 25-06 likes it too.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I've seen the 110 accubond hold up well to 257 weatherby velocity, it would be my first choice to try for an all around 25 cal bullet. 117 Sierra Gameking would likely be my second.

freeto

May 14, 2014
los lunas nm
i was thinking of dumping my vanguard moa in 257 weatherby for a lft handed tikka in 25/06 but I was a litter leary on the 22 inch barrel. that weatherby is heavy over 7.5 compaired to the tikka 6.2. I have one tikka already in 270 wsm. how accurate is the 25/06