Thunderheads question??

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
Any of you guys shoot NAP thunderheads, I'm not much of a bowhunter, but I've been tuning them to my arrows so they cut perfectly through paper and my buddy said you don't want to shoot those at any kind of animal their garbage. I've been trying like crazy to put something on the ground the last couple years with my bow and don't want to have something inferior in my arsenal!!

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
I would argue that they have killed as many animals as just about any other broadhead ever made.

I shoot them and have killed at least 4 elk now with them and I haven't kept track of how many deer.

Kind of nice that with all the fancy new offerings you can find some pretty good deals on ebay.

I put a fresh set of 100s on a dozen shafts every season for deer and/or elk.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
Those over priced G5 montecs. I'm shooting 125gr thunderheads on a 10.3 GPI @ 28.5", blazer vanes and 65lb DW. I'd think they'd be more than heavy enough and carry plenty of kinetic energy for elk??

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
They are fine!
I should be using the 125s but I like the 100s on deer and I refuse to change.
Even the 100s are ok on elk but the 125s would be better.

Interesting that he is shooting the only other broadheads I ever use.
The G5s are much more durable but they can't compare on sharpness.
Montecs can survive a shot into a stump or dirt bank and survive just fine.
You will never get an edge on one like a Thunderhead.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
They are fine!
I should be using the 125s but I like the 100s on deer and I refuse to change.
Even the 100s are ok on elk but the 125s would be better.

Interesting that he is shooting the only other broadheads I ever use.
The G5s are much more durable but they can't compare on sharpness.
Montecs can survive a shot into a stump or dirt bank and survive just fine.
You will never get an edge on one like a Thunderhead.
Thanks Jim I'm sticking with them then!! Now if I can just get those damn'd elk to cooperate on my waterhole this fall!

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
Thanks Jim I'm sticking with them then!! Now if I can just get those damn'd elk to cooperate on my waterhole this fall!
Just for reference.....
I took a big fat Rosie Cow 2012 season, shooting 100gr, 63 lbs, Broadhead passthrough at 60+

A few years earlier I put a Montec G5 3/4 of the way through, same basic kill shot, at 36yds, (no major bone impact either one)

Now every shot and animal is different but those results are why I'm shooting the Thunderheads.

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
One of the better shooting FB broad heads in my opinion. I shot them for years. And like above, they are the 30-06 of broad heads. Killed as many game as any head on the market I'm sure. Right next to the muzzy. But muzzy's don't fly nearly as well.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
101_1238.jpg

Result of a Thunderhead on a Wyoming Bull...........

Been using these heads for many years and love them

Last edited:

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
I think they are the greatest broadhead out there with the possible exception of muzzy. I used them with my recurve and killed 7 whitetails very efficiently. I then switched to a high speed compound and found out that they would not shoot accurately at all out of it. I now use only a crossbow and mechanicals that shoot field pt fine. Bottom line is that if you can get them to hit they are devastating but in my experience their accuracy suffers when shot from modern hi speed bows. They are also a lot cheaper so you may want to try them out of your bow. If they shoot accurate you will never find a finer broadhead.

Engideer

Jul 16, 2013
Arkansas
I think most of the fixed blade broadheads will do the job if they fly good out of your bow. After reading through several of the BH threads on the forum, I have been trying out some new heads that the guys on here suggested, and I will have to say that the ramcats are a new favorite fixed blade for me. Much sharper out of the box than the montecs, and they are truly flying exactly like my field points. I haven't shot an animal with them though, so hopefuly I can try them out soon.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I shot thunderheads for many years. If tuned properly, they are a great head. My first elk taken with archery equipment was with one. I hit shoulder bone and rib but still got plenty of penetration. The base of one blade cracked but did not separate so the broadhead remained in one piece. The elk went 18 yards, stood for a few seconds, and then fell over.

I have since switched to all mechanical heads simply because they require less work to tune. Mechanical heads do require slightly more kinetic energy but with todays modern bows IMO this doesn't matter. I have several friends who feel the same way. Between the three of us we have taken our last 6 or 7 elk with several brands of mechanicals without any negative feed back. I feel you just need to make a decent behind the shoulder shot with any broadhead on the market and you have a dead elk.