Thorofare Hunt

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
I put a check in the mail today for a deposit on a dream hunt; Thorofare elk hunt with Yellowstone Outfitters in 2025 (that was their first opening for four). I’m not sure how to keep myself from being too excited for a hunt that’s 5 years out but I guess I’ll figure out a way to pass the time. I’ve never done an outfitted hunt before, but not really any choice for a nonresident if you want to see and hunt that wilderness country. Anyone here ever done this hunt?

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Great pictures, CC. I haven't done that portion of Wyoming wilderness yet but it is on my list. The Winds and Wyoming range got most of my attention growing up I explored the Bighorns after college. Living in this Yellowstone country now horse adventures have been a lot of fun.

Reactions: AKaviator

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Lots of them there for sure. Saw some almost every day. Camp was surrounded by an electric fence and they had several dogs who really fussed a lot at night when a bear came around.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Nope. No elk for 8 hunters. The elk population had really taken a hit from the wolves. But that's another story.............
I was going to apply for that hunt last year, but was talked out of it by a friend who has guided me on a couple other hunts. He used to hunt with his family in the Thorofare, but the elk numbers were drastically less than in the past so they moved on and hunt elsewhere. 5 years in the future...who knows????

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I was going to apply for that hunt last year, but was talked out of it by a friend who has guided me on a couple other hunts. He used to hunt with his family in the Thorofare, but the elk numbers were drastically less than in the past so they moved on and hunt elsewhere. 5 years in the future...who knows????
That's for sure. I hunted there 7 seasons back and things could be different.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
If you have not had some experience riding horses, I would suggest you do some riding before you go. My trip was about 32+ miles and took 9 1/2 hours with about 15 minutes for lunch and bathroom break. I did quite a bit of trail riding prior to the trip. A friend suggested I buy some padded bicycling shorts to wear under my regular pants....they work! I also rode a big mule during the whole trip (in, daily & out), they are very comfortable and smart too. I prefer a mule any day.

280ackimp

Jul 4, 2017
New Hampshire
Sir welcome to the world of waiting !
I am booked with Yellowstone Outfitters in 2023 for the last hunt of the season, last year when I spoke with Lynn his first opening was 2023 for 4. I did some reference checking with guides I know and every one of them said he ran a very good outfit. I hunted to the west by a few miles over a 25 year span and hunted the line/area between untit 60 & 70 with a great deal of success. So yes I've done this hunt in the seasons opener, not in the late season. Your ride into camp from Turpin Meadows is not difficult just long, as CC said get some horseback time and get your backside conditioned ! Here are a couple of links to hunts at Yellowstone Outfitters that others have written about.

Ill share what I know ..PM me if you wish

Reactions: D_Dubya

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
Sir welcome to the world of waiting !
I am booked with Yellowstone Outfitters in 2023 for the last hunt of the season, last year when I spoke with Lynn his first opening was 2023 for 4. I did some reference checking with guides I know and every one of them said he ran a very good outfit. I hunted to the west by a few miles over a 25 year span and hunted the line/area between untit 60 & 70 with a great deal of success. So yes I've done this hunt in the seasons opener, not in the late season. Your ride into camp from Turpin Meadows is not difficult just long, as CC said get some horseback time and get your backside conditioned ! Here are a couple of links to hunts at Yellowstone Outfitters that others have written about.

Ill share what I know ..PM me if you wish
Thanks for the info! I’ll definitely try to get my backside in riding condition, but 9 or 10 hours in the saddle is probably going to be unpleasant at the end of the day no matter what.

Reactions: shootbrownelk