The Wild Game Eats Thread...

Johnbud

Jan 6, 2018
Wisconsin
That looks great. Is your recipe really that simple? I need simple recipes as I have no cooking skills. I'm planning to put an antelope roast in the slow cooker on Sunday to enjoy with football.

Reactions: dirtclod Az.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
That looks great. Is your recipe really that simple? I need simple recipes as I have no cooking skills. I'm planning to put an antelope roast in the slow cooker on Sunday to enjoy with football.

I put some salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder on the roast, 2 cups water, added vegetables with 3 hours left.
Gravy was 2 cups juice from the crockpot, 2 tablespoons butter, corn starch to thicken.

Reactions: Johnbud

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
It's pretty hard to mess up a roast in a crock-pot. Just some salt and pepper and some sliced onions and a couple of cans of crm of mushroom soup with some extra mushrooms, canned or fresh makes no difference.
That's about as simple as it gets. You can experiment with any other ingredients you like as well.

Reactions: Johnbud

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Made 20# pastrami, 10# hamed deer, 10# salami, 10# jalapeno salami, 10# smoked bologna, 5# each of original snack sticks, spicy snack sticks, sweet and spicy Italian, and pepperoni. Finally get to eat, drink, and reminisce about the previous hunting season!
Also made a spicey sweet fried goose with rice on Sunday, we'll be killing as dang many of them as we can in the future!!

Attachments

cacklercrazy

Feb 24, 2011
Something stupid easy, but taste incredible is to cube your meat. This can be done with anything. Deer or elk rounds work good. Goose breast will also work. Just chicken fry them. I mix seasoning and flour together coat meat then dip in scrambled eggs then dip in Italian bread crumbs. Then brown. I place in oven to finish cooking on low heat. They will be super tender. Server with mash potatoes and gravy.

Mattson

Oct 29, 2020
Mmm, your dishes look great. And I think the most delicious food is cooked over a fire. As for cooking meat, I recently bought a food vacuum sealer machine and I can say that this is the most useful purchase in recent times. I marinate meat in vacuum bags and it gets a special taste and aroma. Actually, I eat healthy food and have eliminated alcohol from my diet (due to health problems), but sometimes I want something from fast food. So I found reviews of the best large capacity air fryers to cook french fries and chicken wings. I think that if I cook them myself, it will be better than going to a fast-food restaurant. I am interested to hear your opinion on this issue.

Last edited:

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
STUFFED MUSHROOMS

INGREDIENTS
    fresh mushrooms
  • 1 lb ground deer or elk
  • 1/2 cup
    dry bread crumbs
  • 1 package
    (8 ounces) cream cheese
  • 2 tablespoons
    fresh parsley, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon
    lemon juice
  • 3 cloves
    garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup
    grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 2 tablespoons
    olive oil
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
  2. Remove mushroom stems and set caps aside.
  3. Place mushroom caps on foil-lined baking sheets; set aside.
  4. In a skillet, cook and crumble meat in olive oil over medium heat until cooked through; drain.
  5. Remove from heat; stir in bread crumbs and set aside.
  6. In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, parsley, lemon juice and garlic until smooth.
  7. Add sausage to cream cheese mixture; fill each cap with mixture.
  8. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
  9. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and lightly browned.
  10. For the finishing touch, drizzle with olive oil.

this is basic recipe. I like to tweak it with different seasonings so I seldom do the same thing twice. I also am not a big fan of the olive oil finish and use very sparingly.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
STUFFED MUSHROOMS

INGREDIENTS
    fresh mushrooms
  • 1 lb ground deer or elk
  • 1/2 cup
    dry bread crumbs
  • 1 package
    (8 ounces) cream cheese
  • 2 tablespoons
    fresh parsley, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon
    lemon juice
  • 3 cloves
    garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup
    grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 2 tablespoons
    olive oil
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
  2. Remove mushroom stems and set caps aside.
  3. Place mushroom caps on foil-lined baking sheets; set aside.
  4. In a skillet, cook and crumble meat in olive oil over medium heat until cooked through; drain.
  5. Remove from heat; stir in bread crumbs and set aside.
  6. In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, parsley, lemon juice and garlic until smooth.
  7. Add sausage to cream cheese mixture; fill each cap with mixture.
  8. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
  9. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and lightly browned.
  10. For the finishing touch, drizzle with olive oil.

this is basic recipe. I like to tweak it with different seasonings so I seldom do the same thing twice. I also am not a big fan of the olive oil finish and use very sparingly.
Thanks for the idea! Seen it right before I left for the store, eating it for lunch!