The Three Bears!

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
No it's not a fairy tale, I got one each of the last three years in a row...all DIY on public land in SE Wyoming.

Bears are an iconic symbol of the wild. Put bears and public lands together, and I get goosebumps.

BearJune2016.jpg

20170605_083711.jpg

P1090992.jpg

Last edited:

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Is the third photo the one you shot this year? He looks like a brute.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
That's no easy task in SE Wyoming. I grew up in Laramie and know how challenging that is in that area. Congrats!
Thanks! When I moved to Wyoming in 1984, the Game and Fish Department was giving away a free bear tag with an elk licence. They ended that freebie soon thereafter and the bear population took off. To say it has exploded may be a bit of an exaggeration...but it has certainly grown by leaps and bounds. So it is probably easier to find bears than when you were growing up.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
Awesome! Spring or fall? Can you bait in WYO ?
There is a spring and fall season. These were all taken in the spring. I have hunted in the fall, but found too much commotion from elk hunters. I even had one of my trail cameras stolen in the fall, probably by an elk hunter.

Yes you can bait in Wyoming...and these were all taken over bait. While some people might think that's a slam dunk, it's not. Only 13 percent of Wyoming bear hunters are successful each year. And it's an enormous amount of work...scouting for good bait sites... registering bait sites with Game and Fish...setting up bait sites in the snow...driving weekly to check/replenish baits...sitting for hours at bait sites...closing bait sites, etc.

Here is a picture of the line to register baits sites at Game and Fish in Laramie. Some of those folks were in line the night before. Reminds me of black Friday sales!

Registering Bait Sites.jpg

Last edited: