The Rut is Kicking In - Colorado

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Granted this is a mule deer thread-but on our way to church this morning here in Iowa, my oldest daughter and I saw a corker of a whitetail buck, out in broad daylight in a picked bean field, working something in 30+ mph winds; clearly, his mind was on more than the weather.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Down here in SW Colorado, rut hasn't started yet last evening there were 30+ does were in my yard and 3 young bucks (spike & 2 forkies) with them. No interest in the does yet and no big bucks yet. Still pretty warm. With full moon coming up, things might change any day.

Reactions: Winchester

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Looks like we might get a break for 4 th season. Here in SW Colorado the weather forecast is for snow & rain for Tuesday, the day before opener. I hope we get an inch or two, that will make Wednesday much better. Every track will be fresh and it is sure a hell of a lot easier to see them when the ground is white!

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Looks like we might get a break for 4 th season. Here in SW Colorado the weather forecast is for snow & rain for Tuesday, the day before opener. I hope we get an inch or two, that will make Wednesday much better. Every track will be fresh and it is sure a hell of a lot easier to see them when the ground is white!
Yeah I've been watching that front closely also. We will be up in the Grand Mesa with 3 bull and 1 cow tag to fill.

Reactions: Bonecollector