The blizzard

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
2000000000047052.jpg
I was fortunate to be able to get home about an hour after the last roads got closed here in Laramie county.
Be safe out there!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I was just watching some of the Denver news stations on TV.

It looks like eastern Colorado is closed. The Denver airport DIA is closed along with 90% of the roads from the foothills east to the Kansas border along with north and south border to border.

Here at 6500' elevation the sun is trying to peak out. We have had snow all day but nothing is sticking since the pavement has warmed up quite a bit. Right now my outdoor thermometer says that it is 37 degrees.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
It was 63 degree's here yesterday, I dug up a damaged cable up along the Goshen/Laramie county line, and there was night crawlers on top of the ground. It's the craziest 12 hour weather turn around I've ever seen.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hoping all you guys are indoors someplace warm & safe! We had some nasty ones this winter here too, but not quite that rough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Wind blowing 30 to 40 most of the day and snowing too. I plowed my 400' driveway out to the county road this am, it is filled back in now by all the drifting snow. It rained all day yesterday and 99% of the snow was gone, sure back now!

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
Does anyone ever think about what happened when you live in the 1800's and you were out with the family trying to get somewhere in your wagon and one day it is nice and the next day you are in danger of loosing your life. They had no idea the storm was coming. We get three days notice and it still kicks some peoples a**

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The think with that was that those back in the 1800 had a lot more common sense than the folks now do. While we do have weather forecasters now the folks back then would watch the animals and birds to see if something was going to happen. Plus when something like this hit while they were out going from point A to point B they would usually hunker down and not try and move. The idiots today just hop in their nice warm car or 4x4 and head out no matter what is going on. Then they get into trouble.

I just looked at a Denver news stations web site and they are still rescuing people from their cars that got stuck in the storm.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
My pear trees in the front yard were in full bloom 2 weeks ago. lol

I do kinda miss the snow and cold at times though.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Does anyone ever think about what happened when you live in the 1800's and you were out with the family trying to get somewhere in your wagon and one day it is nice and the next day you are in danger of loosing your life. They had no idea the storm was coming. We get three days notice and it still kicks some peoples a**
Thats how God culled out the dumb people. Now we run out and save them...

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Just got back from Durango, sun shining, everything melting. It was 50 miles of sheet ice on the road this am, took me 2 hours! Glad that's over............
I have to go to Denver 120 miles away for a Dr appointment once a year. I have learned after one April Monday morning to get a room the night before and take a leisurely drive down and spend the night.

That one day years ago it started to snow on Sunday night. I figured that I would just drive down that night and get a room, then I remembered what it would be like with all the ski traffic. So I decided to get up early Monday morning and head over. Well, it didn't stop snowing and I left my home at 4am. The roads were snow packed until I got to Vail, then there was 6" of fresh snow on the road that wasn't plowed. I headed up Vail Pass and then up to Eisenhower tunnel white knuckling it all the way. It actually cleared up once I got on the downhill side until I got to the C470 and HWY 6 exit where traffic was stopped. When I stopped my car slid about a foot sideways.

I made it to my appointment with 1/2 hour to spare. It should of only been a 2 1/2 hour trip but it ended up taking 6 hours.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Wind blowing 30 to 40 most of the day and snowing too. I plowed my 400' driveway out to the county road this am, it is filled back in now by all the drifting snow. It rained all day yesterday and 99% of the snow was gone, sure back now!
I brushed the cobwebs off my Rhino this morning and plowed my way out of 14"+ of snow. I had some pretty hard drifts too. This is only the second time I plowed this winter, this last storm was a doozie though.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I bet it really sucked to be hanging out with the Donners way back when.