The Annual Elk Success Thread!!!! 2023

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Last day of 4th season yesterday. Just a little one but haven't killed an elk in over 10 years.
Found out I'm not in shape to carry one out alone anymore either. Thank God I was able to get a message out to my son from on top of the hill. Was still an all day job.View attachment 45253View attachment 45254
Size don't mean a lot when you are trying to fill your freezer. I would take this one in a heart beat!

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
Chris is a long time friend of mine and hunting partner we usually chase deer or elk about every year. He was my spotter on that bull and it was his birthday so w the long pack out ended up to be quite the day!! Great guy to be in the hills with but never ever try and follow him on a snow machine… Like ever. 😂

I tried in 2009 when he was still with arctic cat.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
452744527545276A buddy of mine was able to take his son to Get his first bull elk this year. His grandpa was right there along side of him too. Pretty awesome!
They were struggling to locate a decent bull so I told him a place where we had seen this bull during the muzzy hunt and were able to locate hI’m and make a 200 yard shot.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Friends and I made it tough on the elk last week. Went 7/8 with only one bull tag not filled. Even then, we had 3 good tries at filling the last bull tag, but my friend is going to come back later this month and give it another try.

Anyway, we had one really good day, took 5 cows and a bull.

My 2 friends I was hunting with were up first. Found a herd mid-day hiking back to the truck. Wind was iffy at best and they winded us. My buddy couldn't get the bulls to separate from the herd so he took a cow:

The herd moved off about 1000 yards and all settled down, some even bedded. So, my other friend and I took off and easily got to 300 yards. Again the bulls were all in the middle of the 100 or so elk, but eventually one of the dozen or so bulls moved to the edge of the herd.

Big mistake for that bull:

The herd started milling and my buddy decided to fill his cow tag too, done deal:

Spent the next few hours quartering and packing elk. Had about 40 minutes left and on the drive out we spotted another herd moving up a draw. I figured I had time so grabbed my pack and 7-08 and worked my way out to them. They came out perfect, right up the draw and at about 100 yards, filled my first tag. After the shot they trotted out to about 230 yards and started milling around. I picked another cow and filled my second cow tag.

Found out on the way back to town, our other 2 buddies had also taken one cow in another spot...so 5 cows and a bull in one day.

That's the most elk I've seen shot in a 6 hour period by my hunting party.