The 2019 Elk Success Thread

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
Spent my 20 Oregon elk points for a Mt. Emily tag. Wolves have made a huge impact on the elk population, bugling & quality of this hunt. The 150+ spike hunters pollute any accessible areas quickly by over pressuring. I was here 4 weeks and had serious bugling only 4 days. Not high scoring but lots of mass. If you ever draw this mature bull tag I highly recommend doing a drop camp to escape the spike hunters. They will play with the big bulls and blow them out just to hear them bugle.

Attachments

Last edited:

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Spent my 20 Oregon elk points for a Mt. Emily tag. Wolves have made a huge impact on the elk population and bugling. I was here 4 weeks and only had serious bugling 4 days. 95% of the bow hunters with this tag will leave with it in their pocket. I was one of the lucky 5%. Not high scoring but lots of mass.
Congrats on a heavy bull!

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
Congrats on a awesome bull. Is that a Roosevelt elk?
No not supposed to be here, but maybe some genetic overlap? I’ve had several comment about it. The taxi showed me a 354” bull from same unit which looked quite skinny next to this rack.

Last edited:

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I returned from my 2 1/2 week trip out to Colorado. I saw plenty of elk, and was successful on punching my tag on a decent bull. No deer, but did find some great cut-throat trout fishing. I am leaving in a couple days for WY antelope, so will post the story with photos after my return. Happy hunting.