The 2018 Antelope Picture Thread!

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
As luck would have it. Someone turned in a unit 3 colorado buck tag this morning. I grabbed it off the leftover list Just now. Opens tomorrow but I've no day off until Monday. 1day to hunt but figure it's worth it for a tag that takes many years to draw.
3 hour drive for me btw.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
As luck would have it. Someone turned in a unit 3 colorado buck tag this morning. I grabbed it off the leftover list Just now. Opens tomorrow but I've no day off until Monday. 1day to hunt but figure it's worth it for a tag that takes many years to draw.
3 hour drive for me btw.

Awesome! Go smoke a dandy!!!

HeartElk1

Mar 30, 2011
Bow-Antelope.jpgF4

Finally got my first antelope with a bow this year! It was a fun spot and stalk hunt in Montana and I was elated to make a good, clean shot at 38 yards that took care of him quickly. Always a great experience to get anything (big or small) with archery equipment.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Just got back from Wyoming today after a 5 day hunt . Filled 6 does tags for 3 of us. My 2 buddies from California had never hunted antelope before so it was a hoot for me to help them get initiated. The rut was on and saw more bucks than I have ever seen in 25 years hunting this unit. Rained and snowed the whole time. They have all the pictures.

Came thru Unit 3 in Colorado yesterday (opening day) and raining like hell, lots of mud!

Got tp start butchering tomorrow.

Added some pixs on post 83

Last edited:

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
I had the opportunity to help "guide" my buddy from Missouri's wife on her first Colorado antelope hunt. Opening morning, we spotted this guy from about 3/4 of a mile away and the first glance told us he was big enough, need to make a plan. Circled around from the north to a hill, peeked over and they were exactly where expected. I ranged the does at 317 yards with the buck bedded off to the right a little ways away with another smaller buck. Got Tricia set up and somewhat stable with me holding her right elbow in a crouched position and a couple shots later using her 7mm-08 loaded with Nosler Accubonds, he was on the ground. Super proud of her and happy to be part of the crew!!!

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I had the opportunity to help "guide" my buddy from Missouri's wife on her first Colorado antelope hunt. Opening morning, we spotted this guy from about 3/4 of a mile away and the first glance told us he was big enough, need to make a plan. Circled around from the north to a hill, peeked over and they were exactly where expected. I ranged the does at 317 yards with the buck bedded off to the right a little ways away with another smaller buck. Got Tricia set up and somewhat stable with me holding her right elbow in a crouched position and a couple shots later using her 7mm-08 loaded with Nosler Accubonds, he was on the ground. Super proud of her and happy to be part of the crew!!!

Great buck! Congratulations

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Well, quick run down of my last hunt. Driving home now. Picked up a leftover unit 3 tag by chance friday. Never hunted up there so loaded my jeep and picked up a map Saturday after work, crying cuz the season already open.
Worked Sunday and changed into my hunting clothes at work. 3 hour drive and I'm there in the rain n mud. Couldn't get down smaller roads cuz the mud. Started but being alone decided not to risk it after I slid off the first time. Didn't see anything other than trucks going back and forth everywhere. Settled in to sleep in my jeep.
This morning woke up to the same situation of course. Picked a spot about a mile between roads n started walking. Spotted a herd of about 20 and decided to take the largest one I saw due to conditions and time. 250 yards off my knee.
Pretty sure I packed out more mud on my boots than meat in my pack. Lol
Anyway, headed home. Work tonight.
Not a trophy by real standards but still living the dream.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Well, quick run down of my last hunt. Driving home now. Picked up a leftover unit 3 tag by chance friday. Never hunted up there so loaded my jeep and picked up a map Saturday after work, crying cuz the season already open.
Worked Sunday and changed into my hunting clothes at work. 3 hour drive and I'm there in the rain n mud. Couldn't get down smaller roads cuz the mud. Started but being alone decided not to risk it after I slid off the first time. Didn't see anything other than trucks going back and forth everywhere. Settled in to sleep in my jeep.
This morning woke up to the same situation of course. Picked a spot about a mile between roads n started walking. Spotted a herd of about 20 and decided to take the largest one I saw due to conditions and time. 250 yards off my knee.
Pretty sure I packed out more mud on my boots than meat in my pack. Lol
Anyway, headed home. Work tonight.
Not a trophy by real standards but still living the dream.

Way to seal the deal-commando style!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Squeezed in a day hunt for our antelope bucks. Cold rain all morning made for less than fun conditions. We did find out some of the BLM roads in the area were good gravel, some good bentonite clay, lol.
My buck and the spouse's buck, both mature but certainly not the biggest the area has to offer.View attachment 22261View attachment 22262

Attachments

bowtech840

Sep 12, 2018
First goat, Wyoming DIY. Took him opening day at 200 yards. Fun hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NyRick

Aug 29, 2017
New York
Let me start off by saying this was my very first antelope hunt out west. He's not a mounter, but it was an interesting huntt which is why I chose to take him. About halfway out to Wyoming, the fuel pump on my truck took a crap and I had to rent an other vehicle and drive the other 11 hours and pick up mine on the way back through. Not a good start. Anyways, we got there and seen lots of bucks on Monday, but none I wanted to take. Tuesday morning while driving a forest service road, I spotted a few antelope heading towards a nice water hole, but my stalk was blown. My brother and I sat about 250 yards from the water source at the base of a small knoll not more than a 1/2 hour when I spotted two bucks heading down towards us from a very long ways off. I noticed the smaller buck was limping the whole way as they headed straight at us. I told him I was going to take the "gimpy" one if he kept on course. That's just what they did. I took him at 238 yards, he hopped around on his hind legs for a few seconds and then toppled into the drainage ditch. I know that a coyote or something would have eventually got him, but I just can't pass on a wounded animal. My brother got his buck that afternoon. What a great experience it was, and a big thank you to everyone here that gave me advice. image.jpg