Thanks AZ fish and game

dustin ray

Veteran member
Oct 23, 2011
Alta Loma CA
With the draw behind us and all the disappoint of not drawing a tag iv moved on putting my hopes for a good tag on the Nevada or Idaho then my phone rings from Phoenix AZ its this sweet lady from F&G and she tells my somebody turned in a late archery bull tag and im next in line. So i got a tag and im all smiles i was just there in this unit hunting Turkeys last week and everything is looking great a lot of new grass some tanks where full but others no so full. Even tho its the late hunt and it can be a tough hunt im stoked

Last edited:

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Congratulations.I had that happen on a Javelina
tag a few years ago.Lady called and said come on down
pay the $18 dollars and the tag is yours.Shot my Pig
before the sun came over the Mtns. on opening morning.:cool:

dustin ray

Veteran member
Oct 23, 2011
Alta Loma CA
Hunt starts on the 15th i have a few more work related things to clear off my calender and im gone. With vary little monsoon rains this summer the lack water have left the dirt tanks dry but thats ok i have plan B ether way im looking foward to the hunt. will update if something cool happens

Reactions: Bonecollector

dustin ray

Veteran member
Oct 23, 2011
Alta Loma CA
Hunt update the first week was fun but no elk where taken in my camp between the weather or somebody beating me to the area i was planing on hunting my ride breaking down mile from camp just made a quick run back home back tonight iv got my eyes on some good bulls im going it give it hell to the end. heres some pics 28978ome pic 2897728979

dustin ray

Veteran member
Oct 23, 2011
Alta Loma CA
After hunting my ass off for 12 days i leave defeated
Even not harvesting an Elk it was an awesome trip with daily highs and lows that made for a awesome adventure.
I new going in this hunt was going to be though and that is what i was looking for the hunt started off with a lot of excitement i had good bulls on camera mostly at night but the thought of a good bull coming to water was the driving force keeping me focused from a vary boring sit all day by day 5 things where looking better the moon was fading and other hunters where gone after checking my cameras i had some day time bulls then here comes the rain and snow and everything shut down. I was able to find some elk to stalk on one occasion i had two nice 5x5 after crawling threw the sage and snow for for 700 ft or so the wind changed and ended that on one other time i ran into a heard of cows with one small bull it was late in the after noon with snow blowing side ways i got to 45 yards the bull was behind the cows once he was clear i let a arrow fly only to have a wind gust blow me arrow off.
Some of the lows where my Ranger breaking down miles from camp with bad weather and night time made for a tough fix. The highs where i found two puppies with there mother out in the forest i was able to catch the puppy and bring them home and there doing great i went back out to find mother dog and never found her with all the bad weather and coyotes fox bobcats and lions the dogs would would face certain death.
Even having a awesome trip im not sure i would apply for this hunt in the future

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Sorry to hear you weren't successful,but the expierience was a lifetime remembrance.
I bet next year you'll remember all the good things and want to do it again.I always do...
and then cuss myself for bieng right back out there stuck in my Ranger throwing tools at
the night!Welcome to Az. my little piece of hell. Come on back,I'll save you a seat near the fire.🔥

Reactions: dustin ray