Texas points sheep?

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
anyone know when TX began it's preference point system? particularly for desert bighorn sheep?
seems hard to find any info on when it began and/or whats the max # of points for texas?

I read odds of 1 in bout 5,500.
I think that's # of applicants however, and now they're cubing points ^3 so someone with 25points.... has 15,625 chances, whereas someone with 2pts has 8 chances...

seems like a terrible system....

Thanks in advance!

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Does it matter?

I have no idea when they started the point system, but I've applied for a long time, over 10 years for sure.

With one available draw tag, points squared, cubed, whatever means jack nothing and even top point holders aren't afforded better odds over time.

These point squared systems are no better than random systems, in particular when hundreds or thousands more people enter the draw behind you.

Nevada is a perfect example, I had better odds of drawing when I had fewer squared points (and way fewer applicants) 15 years ago than I do now. The volume of people that are now applying in the lower point pools have diluted and worsened individual odds, even those with 20+ points. Probably going to have people respond that its not true, but they suffer from horrific statistical analysis and basic math skills.

I suspect its the same with the lone Texas desert tag.

Best to apply for your $10 and not worry about it...cheap lottery ticket is all it is.

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
I drew it in 2013 with 6 points (no cube). The guy that drew the year before me drew his 1st year. I plan to be the first guy to draw it twice. I'm still buying entries. :)

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Buzz unless they do true preference points and give all tags to the top point holders ( assuming enough tags to make a dent in the max point pool) what you say goes for any system that awards tags. Even a random system like Idaho the more apps the worse your odds.

You could put in the time and maybe got one of the first come first served desert sheep tags I saw this year. No points required just computer time and luck. Most folks i see complaining about Nevada system either limit their number of choices or list 5 choices that are the 5 hardest in the state to draw then wonder why they go years without drawing. Now if you got 20 plus points i could see maybe wanting to try for the best units. However with our system put in for the best first and fill out the remaining with hunts that maybe easier to draw because of smaller trophy size or hunt quality.

If its a desert sheep why apply in a place that offers less tags in the whole state then others offer in one unit.

newcoemers

May 18, 2022
SAN ANGELO — A performance sheep and goat sale will be a part of the Texas Sheep and Goat Expo, put on by the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service.
The sale will take place at 2 p.m. Aug.17 at the Spur Arena, 200 W. 23rd St., San Angelo.
The sale is exclusively for sheep and goats that have been performance tested using the National Sheep Improvement Program.

and also check out the newcomers's
Baby Pillows & Bolsters products