tent or bivy?

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Carbon fiber poles cost more than aluminum poles, but have a small weight advantage. They are stronger, but also harder to "fix" in the field if broken. Mtnguide called it about camp placement, and that should be the primary concern about lightning strikes. I guided for 7 summers in the US & Canada, and in the canoeing areas we went there were often more fatalities from lightning than from drowning. A good insulated pad has made a difference in some cases. We've diverted from your original thread, but it's all good stuff to be aware of.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Mtnguide is right storms at those elevations are no joke and unfortunately just like the avalanche thread something ya just got to deal with the best ya can. I will camp as close to the or on the glassing spot I am after (here 12,500) depending on the weather and I have made a few mistakes or it happens where ya get exposed just off a ridge line. I usually pick the last small clump of trees and watch the weather close but when stuck I just fold down the poles on top of me laying down in the tent/tarp and weather it out.

Another vote for and I also use a big agnes copper spur ul or a Kifaru supertarp. In the big hail storms that usually accompany the lightning the copper spur is a welcome upgrade but during times of high pressure the supertarp w/o annex using hiking poles is usually my go to. In the summer I usually dont carry the stove for the supertarp but that is a game changer as you can dry gear when you choose to pack it.

cmbbulldog

Jul 18, 2011
The only thing I don’t like about the backcountry, lightning. I’ve always wondered too how safe it is in a tent with carbon poles.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
The only thing I don’t like about the backcountry, lightning. I’ve always wondered too how safe it is in a tent with carbon poles.
wondered about the metal tent spikes compared to plastic also. they hold up better then plastic in hard ground BUT do they put you more at risk for a strike ????
funny the things I never really thought about till buying a tent.

have wethered a few storms wrapped in a piece of plastic . always just left my gun and pack under a tree or brush or plastic if available and move away a bit from them. done all the things like staying low and off the ridge top.

do NOT enjoy high mtn lightning storms

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
IMO you need a tent, a bivy is for when you get caught out in the elements unexpectedly, but perhaps you can use just a bivy in certain circumstances, but pretty certain I'd go the tent route.

lightweight backpacking tents, especially a 2man tent...can go well under 5 lbs total I believe, closer to 2.5-3.0 lbs

may want a 3man...as they say those backpacking tents...a 3man is more of a semi comfy 2 man tent...

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
IMO you need a tent, a bivy is for when you get caught out in the elements unexpectedly, but perhaps you can use just a bivy in certain circumstances, but pretty certain I'd go the tent route.

lightweight backpacking tents, especially a 2man tent...can go well under 5 lbs total I believe, closer to 2.5-3.0 lbs

may want a 3man...as they say those backpacking tents...a 3man is more of a semi comfy 2 man tent...
that is the conclusion I am coming to also. IF dry out ,don't really need either.
going back and forth on the 2 or 3 man.
probly worth the extra weight of the 3 man , if it saves the need of being fags for a night.
on the other hand , the two man would be fine if buddy just brings their own tent.

Last edited:

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
I've been using more floor less tents. I love having more room and less weight. During winter camping 2 of use will run a Seekoutside Redcliff with a stove it weighs 8.6 pounds. In the summer when I solo camp and hunt I run a tarp or the Seekoutside bt2.

If you want to try a floor less shelter check out Mountain Smith, Jimmy tarps, Seekoutside, Bear paw Wilderness design and Kifaru. You can cut your weight and have more comfort. Take a tyvek sheet for a ground cloth.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
well I bought the paria zion 2p tent .

$ 160 with footprint and only 4lbs 12oz. by no means top of the line but I think I will serve my needs . at least for next year or two. also broke down and got the neo air pad as it was much ,much lighter then the one I had , at only 12 oz AND it rolled up to nearly a third of the size also.

I'VE been trying to get pack weight as low as possible without spending my entire lifes savings and I think I have camp weight( tent , pad sleeping bag, pilla and such) at around 10 pounds give or take a pound.
am thinking with gun , binos , kill kit , few clothes but without water and food yet included pack for 3-5 day trip will be roughly 30 lbs or so ,for now. may be able to shave a bit of that, though I doubt much. depends on weather .this estimate is for what I would bring if expecting wet, which can be expected on most hunts around here at least at one time or another.
haven't done exact math yet. lol.

there are a few more small things I need to pick up, such as backpack stove, water filtration. maybe a first aid kit of sorts but probly should stop spending money for awhile. lol

any tips on these things that won't break the bank are welcome.

don't want junk but don't need top of the line on these either.

haven't really looked for these items much yet but I saw a cooking cup made by Stanley that I kind of like and it is only about $14 at wallyworld. propane canister will fit inside with room for a small stove also?????????

still may eventually get a bivy for warm weather hunts also

Last edited:

eastmont

Feb 28, 2014
Solid Choices for affordable cook stove is the optimus crux HE (high efficiency) about $60 and a sawyer squeeze water filter, about $25.

Pro tip 2.0-
Stove: the crux comes in regular and HE, HE has heating fins on the pot and it makes a big difference.
Sawyer: don't get the sawyer squeeze mini, its way to slow. Also buy a couple of the 64oz large bags.

Good luck.