Taxidermy Display tips and Tricks.

2rocky

Sep 10, 2012
I started this thread to be a place to make suggestions on Taxidermy arrangement, and positioning.

Post your best tips and tricks for when you get that mount home.

I'm curious about guidelines for how high on the wall to put mounts, Lighting strategies, Spacing, and room for new animals.

I have a new room that has a blank wall at my "porch" entrance 10 feet wide, and goes up to about 14 feet high to the peak. (Wall is parallel to peak). There is 3/4 inch plywood behind the sheetrock.

There will also be a triangular piece on the upper sidewalls on either side of the entrance. From the 6 ft height at the peak down to the outside entrance wall.

I need to arrange

• 2 - medium elk horn plaques
  • 2 - smaller elk horn plaques
  • 2 mule deer plaques
  • 1 Whitetail plaques
  • 1 Tule elk shoulder mount left turn semi sneak
  • 1 blacktail shoulder mount Left turn semi sneak
  • 1 Euro Mule deer
  • 2 Euro Antelope
  • 1 matched set of 300 inch weathered elk sheds.
  • 1 shiras moose paddle
  • 1 Blacktail deer hide
  • Assorted Framed Photos Plaques and certificates.

How can I display these with mind towards future deer size shoulder mounts, and I hope 2 more elk shoulder mounts?

What should be highest on the wall? I figured the Tule would be the center of everything.

Looking forward to some ideas on displaying my critters.

missjordan

Veteran member
Dec 9, 2014
Missoula, MT
If it was me, I'd keep the two shoulder mounts on the same wall however not really next to each other. Then I'd put the euro mounts inbetween the shoulder mounts but stagger them. next keep the plaques grouped together. Maybe put them towards the end of the first wall. On the other wall I'd put the rest of your goodies like the sheds, paddles, and hides while putting your photos and awards grouped together. I bet it would look good putting them in the center of the second wall with all the other goodies surrounding them. As far as future shoulder mounts, keep them with your other trophies on the trophy wall. Or when you get your two other elk done, you could put them on either side of the certificates as well.

HeartElk1

Mar 30, 2011
That is a nice problem to have! I'm terrible about figuring out the positioning and all, but the sheds made me think you might consider putting in some kind of natural-looking mantel they could be placed on. Sprinkling in some natural foliage/habitat could really look nice if it doesn't add too much clutter.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
My brother in law is a graphic designer... he takes pictures of everything and then a picture of the wall. On his computer he can move them around for me in different arrangements until we find what we like. I'm working on a design for a new man cave/ trophy room now. I would look for a photo editor program that would allow you to do the same. Even basic paint programs could work. It really helps to be able to visualize without having to put a ton of holes in your wall!