Taking The Plunge... 6.5 Creedmoor????

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
As many of you are aware, and have now watched how the hunt played out, you know that I killed a pretty good mule deer buck in 2018. Now, all that said...I am debating switching rifles. The rifle I shot in that video was chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, normally I shoot a .300 Win Mag. Ike and I went back and forth on bringing both rifles and instead he decided to bring his bow as we see a lot of elk in this are.

So, after carrying the lighter rifle, and dispatching my buck easily I am going to take the plunge and order a Savage 110 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Talk me out of it, or into it. What do you think???

mntnguide

Very Active Member
My buck hit the dirt thanks to my tikka 6.5. I really liked shooting that gun last year and it shoots great. It quickly became my deer/ antelope rifle after shooting it all summer... the hornady eld-x 143gr shot great for factory loads

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
My buck hit the dirt thanks to my tikka 6.5. I really liked shooting that gun last year and it shoots great. It quickly became my deer/ antelope rifle after shooting it all summer... the hornady eld-x 143gr shot great for factory loads

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
That was the exact same bullet I used!

zpooch

Very Active Member
Aug 11, 2016
Wyoming
I carry a Bergara B14 Hunter in 6.5cm. I shoot the same 143 eldx with great results. Some deer and a handful of antelope with it so far with no complaints. It's also fun to take to the range unlike my 300wsm. I see no downside.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
As many of you are aware, and have now watched how the hunt played out, you know that I killed a pretty good mule deer buck in 2018. Now, all that said...I am debating switching rifles. The rifle I shot in that video was chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, normally I shoot a .300 Win Mag. Ike and I went back and forth on bringing both rifles and instead he decided to bring his bow as we see a lot of elk in this are.

So, after carrying the lighter rifle, and dispatching my buck easily I am going to take the plunge and order a Savage 110 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Talk me out of it, or into it. What do you think???
Did miss that video somewhere. I need to find it

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
I'd probably pick one up as well but I already have a 270win and a 25-06rem. I just read a recent article by Ron Spomer comparing the 6.5 and the 270win. Turns out the 270 beats the 6.5 creed in almost all aspects except for wind drift, amount of powder used, and recoil is more. Way less drop for the 270 especially with the new bullets coming out in .277. He was comparing the 143 eldx in the 6.5 and the 145eldx in the 270. Check out the article it was really interesting how a 92 year cartridge still pulls holds it's own, the 6.5x55 Swede in a modern rifle also outperforms the creed.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Scott, I think it rarely is all about which caliber is better. Most are darn good. You could probably get the same results with 10 different rounds on either side of the 6.5.
To me, it's just fun playing with different cartridges and firearms. I'd get the 6.5 Creedmoor just for the fun of having it!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I keep hearing a little voice whispering 6.5-300 Weatherby, 6.5-300 Weatherby, 6.5-300 Weatherby................

troybackman

Apr 17, 2015
Mn
I know this sounds silly but the ruger american predators for $370 shoot as good as most of my customs. and with factory hornady eldx ammo. also threaded muzzle, adjustable trigger that can easily and safely be altered to 2 lbs, and a rock solid bedding system. ive set up over 20 of them for customers and myself and they have ALL shot moa and most closer to 1/2 moa. very nimble little thing too. I shot a muley at 700 yds 2 yrs ago and bullet performed flawless. just my 2 cents. savage has always treated me good too though.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Not to be negative and I might be the only person that has negative feelings towards the 6.5 but I shot a couple of them over the last year and also I personally watched a couple bucks die from them. I was not impressed. Could have been the bullet selection that caused the deer to run so far with a lack of a good blood trail. I would go with a larger caliber If it was me.

Besides...

c71a082c347cbc645fddd4fd9a1bfabe.jpg

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I'd probably pick one up as well but I already have a 270win and a 25-06rem. I just read a recent article by Ron Spomer comparing the 6.5 and the 270win. Turns out the 270 beats the 6.5 creed in almost all aspects except for wind drift, amount of powder used, and recoil is more. Way less drop for the 270 especially with the new bullets coming out in .277. He was comparing the 143 eldx in the 6.5 and the 145eldx in the 270. Check out the article it was really interesting how a 92 year cartridge still pulls holds it's own, the 6.5x55 Swede in a modern rifle also outperforms the creed.
I'm in the same boat. have a couple .270's, read the same article as you..... Still kinda want one though! 6.5 is probably a bit more fun to shoot from a recoil standpoint.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Not to be negative and I might be the only person that has negative feelings towards the 6.5 but I shot a couple of them over the last year and also I personally watched a couple bucks die from them. I was not impressed. Could have been the bullet selection that caused the deer to run so far with a lack of a good blood trail. I would go with a larger caliber If it was me.

Besides...

View attachment 23330
Lol, I know there are strong opinions on the caliber. I will leave this right here...scrub through to the last 5 minutes if you are short on time. He was dead before he hit the ground...

https://youtu.be/J92139sErcs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Scott, I think it rarely is all about which caliber is better. Most are darn good. You could probably get the same results with 10 different rounds on either side of the 6.5.
To me, it's just fun playing with different cartridges and firearms. I'd get the 6.5 Creedmoor just for the fun of having it!
I'm in the same boat. There is so many offerings now out there that with a good bullet will do the job over and over with correct shot placement. It's always nice to get a new gun but I seem to never buy one and just make a new load for my 30-06. That being said, my next gun purchase is gonna be a custom build, and most likley won't buy another one after that. I don't shoot over 400 yards so I base my caliber bullet selection on that and the game I'm chasing.

bdan68

Nov 13, 2013
Rochester, Washington
Nothing wrong with the 6.5 Creedmoor but I'm old and personally I like the old classics like the 270 Winchester. I don't ever see myself buying a 6.5 Creedmoor or any of the new cartridges that don't do anything the old standbys will do. I did think about it for my daughter but ended up with a 7mm-08, and if elk hadn't been on the menu would've gone with the 243 Winchester. But I would never try to talk someone out of it. The name stamped on your cartridges isn't that important anyway. I like the 270 because Jack O'Connor used it. But many others will work just as well.

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011

Besides...

View attachment 23330
Hahahaha! That is a funny meme. I laughed my butt off when I saw it.

My whole family are big .30-06 people, which gets its share of criticism due to its less-than-impressive BC, but it isn't called "ole meat in the pot" for nothing.

Truth be told, if I wasn't so brain washed .30-06, I would be getting into the 6.5 Creedmoor. We have tested a ton of rifles in that caliber here at Eastmans' and it is fun to shoot and gets the job done on most animals we pursue.

Either way, it is fun living in an era where tons of new calibers and gear are at our disposal. We are pretty spoiled!!!

Anybody draw any good tags yet?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Lol, I know there are strong opinions on the caliber. I will leave this right here...scrub through to the last 5 minutes if you are short on time. He was dead before he hit the ground...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I saw the video. It definitely killed it dead. But I watched 2 bucks run over 100 yards after getting shot with a 6.5 last season.

Hell, what do I know, I shot a buck years ago in PA on the last day of rifle season at 75 yards with a 300 WSM with 150gr. silvetips and it ran 200 yards and hardly bled. There was snow on the ground so that really tells the picture...

If I had shot that same deer with an arrow in the same spot I guarantee it would have went no more than 75 yards.

I guess its all in where you hit them.

Either way, the 6.5 is super accurate and has 0 recoil and I am sure you will be happy with it.

My father-in-law has the 6.5 XBolt Hells Canyon long range and it is very accurate and has 0 recoil.

Congrats on that buck and good luck with the new gun whatever ya choose!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Hahahaha! That is a funny meme. I laughed my butt off when I saw it.

My whole family are big .30-06 people, which gets its share of criticism due to its less-than-impressive BC, but it isn't called "ole meat in the pot" for nothing.

Truth be told, if I wasn't so brain washed .30-06, I would be getting into the 6.5 Creedmoor. We have tested a ton of rifles in that caliber here at Eastmans' and it is fun to shoot and gets the job done on most animals we pursue.

Either way, it is fun living in an era where tons of new calibers and gear are at our disposal. We are pretty spoiled!!!

Anybody draw any good tags yet?
My dad "brainwashed" on the 30-06 760 gamemaster when I was a young kid. I watched him shoot a pile of deer on a flat out run when we were driving deer. I hunt with one 99% of the time. Its my beater gun that is good out to 300 yards for accuracy. lol I have my eyes peeled for a ruger deerfield .44 magnum now since the shots are so close here in GA. The 30-06 is slightly overkill for these little deer where most shots are 50 yards or less.

Ike

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011

Besides...

View attachment 23330
HA HA it's a trendy caliber for sure. I have been using it for over 5 seasons and have taken or been part of well over 20 kills. Everything from Antelope, Mountain Caribou, Black Bears and Deer (both Whitetail and Mule Deer). It was tricky to get the bullet weight and powder dialed in. I found the 143 ELD-X from Hornady works great!

And hey things change....LOL

Zach morris cell phone.jpg

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
6.5 creedmor in my opinion is a great shooting round that works on deer size game. A little light for my liking on elk. I have only shot 2 deer with one though. Great round for shooting.