taking off tomorrow...

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
They get a bad wrap for quality of eats. What do you guys do that eat em? Grind into sausage?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I usually smoke them over mesquite wood. I have also made ground meat jerky out of them. A friend will fry it up with green peppers and onions.

The bad rap they get as for taste is the smell from their scent gland, but if you don't mess with it the meat will be fine.

Reactions: gonhunting247

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
We have tons of Javelinas down here, I’ve tried to cook them every which way and I’m just not a big fan of their meat. One scent gland tainted bite can make you think you’re eating skunk a-hole. That said, hunting them in the Arizona hills sounds like a blast. I do have four quarters of Javie meat in the freezer right now (ate the straps fresh they weren’t bad). I’m going to make a soup that I saw A well known public land hunter make on one of his videos last year.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The nice thing about the scent gland on a javelina if there is a good thing about it is that it comes right off when you skin them. So if you don't mess with it there will be no problem with it.

But D_Dubya, try smoking the meat very slow for about 7 hours for a whole ham or faster for just steaks or small roast. I think that you will like it.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
The nice thing about the scent gland on a javelina if there is a good thing about it is that it comes right off when you skin them. So if you don't mess with it there will be no problem with it.

But D_Dubya, try smoking the meat very slow for about 7 hours for a whole ham or faster for just steaks or small roast. I think that you will like it.
I’ll give it a shot smoking a whole ham low and slow this weekend or next.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
I hang them in a cool place for three days, use most of the meat for jerky
and stew meat.
I use the hams, partially frozen and cut on a band saw into steaks that
I marinade overnight in Italian salad dressing. Javalina,s are good eats! 💥

Reactions: gonhunting247