T/C Triumph Bullet recommendations for Colorado Elk

Browntailguy

Jan 10, 2013
Trying to get a head start on this falls m/l season and want to get some recommendations for bullets to use on my t/c triumph bone collector. I will purchase some of them and see what she likes. Recommended grains of blackthorn 209 would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I think your two best choices are:

Thor Bullet (Barnes solid copper with a cup in the back to engage the rifling)

or

No Excuses 460 grain (assuming you are shooting a 50 cal). This is a very accurate, die sized, all lead bullet.

With the No Excuses go with 75 to 90 grains. Conicals start to lose accuracy with too much powder. Depending on the rifle that tends to be between 80 and 95 grains. I believe too much powder causes the lead bullet it start to strip free from the rifling.

I shot my CO bull with the No Excuses 460 grain and 85 grains of powder. Went in the front shoulder, exited at the rear ham. Its a devastating load that retains its energy well at reasonable ranges with open sights (150 yards and under).

No Excuses website: http://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com

Thor website: https://www.thorbullets.com

BruinPoint

Sep 6, 2011
Colorado
I had good luck with a Triumph and 300gr Hornady FPBs. 350s weren't as good. Look into Thor bullets too, lots of guys having luck with them too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Thor / BH 209. Most accurate muzzleloader bullet combo out there due to you being able to put the correct size bullet in the barrel. Factory specifications/tolerances continue to get bigger in the firearm industry. Its getting to the point you just cant make a "correct" one size fits all. IMO I wouldn't waste my time with any other combo. Give Thor a call for their sizing kit, you will not be disappointed.
All the best.

Browntailguy

Jan 10, 2013
Thanks for the help. Went with the Thor bullets. They group nice. Just wish the f/o sights on the gun weren't so thick. May have to invest in a Williams peep sight.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Two years ago I used a 300 grain Thor over 90 grains of Pyrodex in my Triumph for my elk in unit 61. The elk took 3 shots to drop him with two of the three being complete pass throughs. The third was recovered on the far side just under the hide. He only took about 10 steps before he dropped. I was asked why I took 3 shots, and I said that you keep shooting until they are on the ground.

He was shot at 120 yards

Here is a picture of the one bullet that I recovered along with a unfired one for comparison, along with my elk.

P9150041.jpgP9160043.jpgP9130005.jpg

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
He was just a 5x6 but he was older than dirt itself. His ivories were wore down to a sliver and he didn't have much for molars anymore. That was his last fall one way or another, I don't believe that he would of lasted the winter.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Thor / BH 209. Most accurate muzzleloader bullet combo out there due to you being able to put the correct size bullet in the barrel. Factory specifications/tolerances continue to get bigger in the firearm industry. Its getting to the point you just cant make a "correct" one size fits all. IMO I wouldn't waste my time with any other combo. Give Thor a call for their sizing kit, you will not be disappointed.
All the best.

X 2 I wasted a lot of money trying everything else until I finally tried these. WOW these shoot good.

Sully54

Jan 12, 2012
We are headed out this year. I shoot a CVA and my hunting partner shoots a Traditions. Both using a Williams peep, Thor bullets and Blackhorn 209 at 100 grains. Getting excellent results on paper; 2" high at 50, dead on at 75 and 3" low at 100. Bench rested-2 out of 3 shots touching at 75 yards, all in the kill zone off of sticks. We have been trying to shoot 3 or 4 times a month. Luck - when Preparation meets opportunity.

deer615

Aug 29, 2013
Iowa
Thanks for the help. Went with the Thor bullets. They group nice. Just wish the f/o sights on the gun weren't so thick. May have to invest in a Williams peep sight.
We went with a Williams rear peep and front crosshair sight. I'm a tad bit worried about low light but being able to see the whole sight picture sure is nice.

Jul 13, 2016
In Australia bp hunting is almost non existent abs because of that we have a real small selection of powders and projectiles, the importer brings in centrefire Barnes but "can't" bring Barnes muzzy projectiles,go figure!

I use a Tc bonecollector, I managed to get some Alliant Black mz and some 240gn hornady xtp magnums, get great groups out of them. Using 110gn blackpowder I've shot half a dozen animals and nothing has made it further than 30 yards.

Roared this stag into 20m this year and dropped him on the spot.

Can't get any more xtp so I've got onto some 300gn fpb. Keen to see how they go.

DSC_0927.jpg

Entry hole
DSC_0093.jpg

Last edited:

Browntailguy

Jan 10, 2013
Thanks for the replies. We are headed to gmu 12 in Colorado to hunt cows. I hear it's amazing country. I've hunted unit 11 and 75. Hoping the weather cooperates and the bow hunters decide to take a week off. Good luck all

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
We are headed out this year. I shoot a CVA and my hunting partner shoots a Traditions. Both using a Williams peep, Thor bullets and Blackhorn 209 at 100 grains. Getting excellent results on paper; 2" high at 50, dead on at 75 and 3" low at 100. Bench rested-2 out of 3 shots touching at 75 yards, all in the kill zone off of sticks. We have been trying to shoot 3 or 4 times a month. Luck - when Preparation meets opportunity.
Awesome! Great to hear!