Suburban bow deer cull, what I've learned

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
Ive been flinging broadhead tipped arrows at animals for 45+ years. Ive loved every minute until now and I have myself to blame. If I told you that killing an 8 pointer with a bow and arrow would leave you with feelings of regret, you might find it an odd statement but that’s where Im at.

The municipality where I live and the neighboring municipality have a problem with high deer numbers and the related car deer collisions and the deer damage to our suburban greenery/gardens/trees. To address this issue, both municipalities have worked with the Wisconsin DNR to enter into a deer nuisance/ag/cull program to reduce the numbers. Both municipalities have received many nuisance deer tags that allow the killing (with only a bow and arrow or a crossbow) of both does and bucks (with the emphasis on does) but the goal is to reduce all deer numbers.

The city and town provide the tags and willing volunteers need only visit their city or town hall, fill out the required paperwork, take a nuisance tag (that they can only keep for 15 days before it must be turned in for lack of use so another can have the opportunity to use it) and then hunt either their own land, the land of a friend or agreeing neighbor within the municipality nuisance area or use one of several stand sites provided in the city or town.

Any deer killed must be registered under the tagging of the nuisance/cull tag provided or the bowhunter or crosser my opt to use their own archery or crossbow deer hunting tag. Why would a volunteer use their own archery deer or crossbow deer tag? The reason being is that both bucks and does can be killed under the rules of the program BUT the antlers must be turned over to the DNR if the volunteer uses the provided Nuisance/cull tag. If a bowhunter or crosser shoots a big buck and wishes to keep the antlers, they can use their one and only, personal, WI archery or crossbow buck tag.

In week one, I took a doe, in week two I took another doe, in week three, I took an 8 point buck and immediately regretted it. I used the provided tag and the entire head/antlers is submitted to the state for CWD testing and the meat donated but Its possible that buck could have been enjoyed by some bowhunter or crosser looking for their first buck and now that opportunity is lost. I regret that.

At the same time, Im aware that the more likely future for that buck would be laying on the side of the road in front of a smashed car bumper. If I prevented a car accident Im happy but Im not thrilled about taking the opportunity from somebody that may have enjoyed themselves bowhunting or crossbowing so that was the last buck I will kill under this nuisance/cull. This has been a learning experience.

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
Doing your civil duty. We had a park just out of KC that allowed that before I moved here. Neighbors to the park stopped it, since a new subdivision was added. But now they have to hire sharp shooters to thin the heard. I wouldn’t regret what you did, better than disease take them or be hit by cars

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
Suburban, nuisance deer cull number 4 for the season. Adult doe and a heart shot with a 50 yard run and tumble. That is the 5th deer with the same broadhead. Its already resharpened and back in the quiver. Love these woodsman heads.

Reactions: dirtclod Az.

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
This afternoon I hunted another nuisance/ag township cull property where the homeowner has high deer numbers. I Arrived to my pop up blind at 4 pm and took this buck at 5 pm. That makes 5 deer under this nuisance cull so far. (2 bucks and 3 does) and the buck I took in Indiana.

8 yard shot. Lung punch from the ground. A short run, great blood trail. As he ran off (up hill) I could see blood spraying from both sides. 2 holes in the ribs and through the nose and mouth made for an easy blood trail. That makes 6 deer with the same woodsman broadhead.

The dead sled makes life so much easier. So does the ramp I made. Loading deer alone can be a pain if you dont create some advantages for yourself.

The back of the traveling deer hauler. A place for everything and everything in its place.

Love these woodsman heads for buck, clean kills. These suburban deer kills require a lethal head with a pass through, and short blood trails.

Re-honed and already back in the quiver.

All the deer are donated to families wanting venison. This cull reduces deer numbers and feeds families.

Doing your civil duty. We had a park just out of KC that allowed that before I moved here. Neighbors to the park stopped it, since a new subdivision was added. But now they have to hire sharp shooters to thin the heard. I wouldn’t regret what you did, better than disease take them or be hit by cars
This a really good point about being hit by cars. As someone who has hit a deer with my car, it definitely makes you pay more attention to deer crossing signs. Knowing there are people doing this gives me some peace of mind. I know also venison is in good demand.

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
Archery suburban cull deer number 8 for me this fall and archery deer number 9 total for this fall ( I took another deer with my bow that was not part of this city/town deer reduction program). This one was a huge doe. That's 9 deer with the same Woodsman broadhead. Shoot, re-sharpen and repeat. My prior record for deer killed with a single re-sharpened broadhead was 7. I see more kills in this heads future. When I dropped the head off for CWD testing (a requirement of this program), I see there were many heads in the freezer at the drop off in Delafield including one very large buck about 17 inches wide and lots of mass. My homemade ramp and the sled is a real back saver.

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
Another victim of the Woodsman broadhead for the Suburban deer culling program. when I got home there was enough daylight to go after some local suburban deer. This might be the biggest doe Ive taken with a bow in a long time. Look how big she is compared to the sled she is hanging above. This is archery deer number 12 for the year. The woodsman head cut off all the plumbing at the top of the heart. pass through with a 50 yard run and crash.

Reactions: dirtclod Az.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I’m sure you’re careful, but I think you’re asking for trouble hunting out of a ground blind in an urban area. Years ago I was walking a long way back on a logging road to get to my tree stand, and a grouse stepped out. I decided to shoot and took some feathers, but that arrow skipped, and I found it lodged in a tree about chest high probably 80 yards down the trail. Spooked the crap out of me. Never again

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I’m sure you’re careful, but I think you’re asking for trouble hunting out of a ground blind in an urban area. Years ago I was walking a long way back on a logging road to get to my tree stand, and a grouse stepped out. I decided to shoot and took some feathers, but that arrow skipped, and I found it lodged in a tree about chest high probably 80 yards down the trail. Spooked the crap out of me. Never again
I actually had the same thought. I was surprised that a tree stand wasn't required to create downward shot angles. The OP has obviously proven to be a very accurate and responsible archer but I'm guessing all those participating aren't up to his abilities.

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
Another municipality nuisance deer as part of the reduction program. This is archery deer number 13 for me for calendar 2019. Another doe. Woodsman broadhead again. Another ground level shot. 100% recovery rate.