Stepping my game up

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I have some friends that our absolute killers hunting elk in numerous states with a bow. Everyone of them has one key to there success and that's being persistent and using every trick in the book. They also have a never give up attitude and give 110% everyday. Also you can't expect success without taking the proper amount vacation time and scouting IMO. Corey Jacobson is one of those guys that has hunted numerous states and kill good bulls all DIY. He just covers a lot of ground until finds one that wants to play and capitalizes on it. Also Nate Simons is also a killer DIY for elk with a bow, and has hunted numerous states.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I think the next evolution in my skills may be being a more disciplined glasser. I tend to give it up pretty quick to put miles on my boots and call more.
that was me when younger . as I have grown old fat and lazy, I have become a firm believer in letting my eyes do the walking whenever possible.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
Yep, a lot of people call more than they should, but that's what people think it takes to hunt elk. I feel they watch to many Primos videos. I've killed some calling, but the main majority was sneaking in on them either feeding or bugling. It's pretty effective you just have to slow down look and listen. Glassing does work, but sometimes by the time you get to their location they're long gone. If I see them late in the evening I'll go that direction in the am.

Reactions: Slugz and kidoggy

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I think everyone has their own style to cover ground, glassing or calling, both effective if done correctly. Proof is who is hanging meat year in and year out.

More times than not during Sept we glass em going in or coming out. I dont ever remember glassing a herd then making a stalk in September. The bulls main focus is to get their cows and keep em hidden.

The cows main focus is to follow the lead cow. She runs the herd. Mature herd bulls will just follow. Young bulls will be the ones running around pushing animals.

This aint happening in the picturesque golden aspen lined park as depicted on the hunting call companys videos ( Primos comes to mind) Its always in or on the edge of some good cover with food nearby. Rut a little come out and feed, go back in.

Lastly the period after 1st cows coming into heat have been bred has been our most successful times. The bigger herd bulls are on
the move again and very susceptible to calling.

Just my 2 sense and what works for us. Hope that helps some.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maxhunter

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Seems to me that your not that bad of a hunter if you are killing several Elk on public land over the course of 10 years.

Thats better than most people and guide school to learn how to halter and feed a horse and set up a wall tent isn't going to make you a better elk hunter....

I know a guy who killed elk 7 years straight on an OTC archery tag in Colorado in a HEAVILY hunted unit. I wouldn't consider him a master hunter and he literally paid 0 attention to the wind. "All they are is furry turkeys, just go straight at them" he would say. His unorthodox tactics probably ran more elk out of that unit than one could imagine, but he killed a pile of bulls in the early 2000's. Most died within a 500 yard radius... His reasoning for not caring about the wind direction was interesting and could potentially be agreed with to some extent....

Personally I heed the wind the best I can but he sure didn't.

My tactic for just about any form of hunting is as follows: Stop, Watch, Listen, Think, Advance, Kill

Seems stupid but if I recall every single hunt that was successful, every one of those played a key roll.

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
I stopped trying to beat the wind. I have more encounters now than I did when I tried to keep the wind in my favor. Where I hunt it’s nearly impossible after 9:00 am to keep the wind right, constantly swirling
Another thing I’ve learned is mid day seems to be when I have had several of my close encounters. Don’t discount the middle of the day. The big 6 point I missed last September came running in silent at 11:30. I never heard or saw an elk all morning and all of the sudden here he came on a run. Sometimes it’s hard not to get discouraged but I just keep moving and throw out a bugle or cow call every once in a while.

Last edited:

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Time and effort. More time you have and the more effort you give the more elk you'll find. Just don't be a broken record doing the same thing in the same spot everyday, unless you're directly on elk, then keep on keeping on.

I think your at the point where you need to refine a few things, but your pretty much on the right page. I wouldn't waste your time and money on a school.

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
Time and effort. More time you have and the more effort you give the more elk you'll find. Just don't be a broken record doing the same thing in the same spot everyday, unless you're directly on elk, then keep on keeping on.

I think your at the point where you need to refine a few things, but your pretty much on the right page. I wouldn't waste your time and money on a school.
I would have to agree with you.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
Maybe not worry about what weapon you use and pick up a rifle get some more kills and more confidence?

I am more of an ambush guy. I always screw up calling. Found my bull on oct 15, he was bugling with cows. On the 19th, i heard him in the timber, worked my way in and blew some cow calls, he was coming in, i blew my cow call again, it sounded like new years eve. Frick, he is heading away now. Oh well, i will go find another bull, i did, and screwed that up, that night, i set up where i expected the herd to come out. I ended up braking him down in the dark with a headlamp. Persistence can be the key, keeping motivated is hard to do, and everyone needs to learn what motivates them.

FitToHunt

Maybe not worry about what weapon you use and pick up a rifle get some more kills and more confidence?

I am more of an ambush guy. I always screw up calling. Found my bull on oct 15, he was bugling with cows. On the 19th, i heard him in the timber, worked my way in and blew some cow calls, he was coming in, i blew my cow call again, it sounded like new years eve. Frick, he is heading away now. Oh well, i will go find another bull, i did, and screwed that up, that night, i set up where i expected the herd to come out. I ended up braking him down in the dark with a headlamp. Persistence can be the key, keeping motivated is hard to do, and everyone needs to learn what motivates them.
I think you're right Tim. I've done very little rifle hunting. I seem to put all my eggs in the archery basket, which probably puts more pressure on to get it done in a shorter amount of time. I do plan to put more into rifle hunting in the following years for sure.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Most folks are limited as to how much time you can put into hunting out of state, but if you can, I would suggest that you explore hunting in Wyoming in the future years. WY is probably unique in that they allow you to draw a rifle tag and then can purchase a archery tag that covers the same unit or GENERAL tag. This allows you to hunt during the archery season, then if you don't punch your tag to come back for the rifle season. This will give you the opportunity to learn a unit, and be selective without putting too much pressure on yourself to just fill your freezer. The unit where I plan to hunt has an archery season of all of Sept., and a rifle season from Oct 15-24.

Kodiak

Oct 27, 2014
Most folks are limited as to how much time you can put into hunting out of state, but if you can, I would suggest that you explore hunting in Wyoming in the future years. WY is probably unique in that they allow you to draw a rifle tag and then can purchase a archery tag that covers the same unit or GENERAL tag. This allows you to hunt during the archery season, then if you don't punch your tag to come back for the rifle season. This will give you the opportunity to learn a unit, and be selective without putting too much pressure on yourself to just fill your freezer. The unit where I plan to hunt has an archery season of all of Sept., and a rifle season from Oct 15-24.
I would check your regs on this. Some units have rifle and archery seasons but more and more are switching to one or the other not both. To my knowledge there are no special draw tags that you can also hunt all general units with. What you described sounds much more like Montana’s system where you can draw a special draw tag but also hunt any general unit. Almost all Montana tags have an archery an rifle season. I just don’t want someone putting in for any tag in Wyoming thinking they can archery hunt, rifle hunt, and then hunt a general unit. That is not the case.

Kodiak

Oct 27, 2014
As far as becoming a 10%er, from what I have seen, some guys are just killers. They have the right instinct to be aggressive when needed and know when to sit back and wait for a better opportunity.

For me it comes down to time and effort I put in. When I was single I killed an elk or two every year, I also spent weeks hunting. Now that I am married with a kid that has gone down a little. I am I firm believer that if you can put yourself in an area where elk live for enough time, eventually you will make it happen.

Reactions: tim

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I would check your regs on this. Some units have rifle and archery seasons but more and more are switching to one or the other not both. To my knowledge there are no special draw tags that you can also hunt all general units with. What you described sounds much more like Montana’s system where you can draw a special draw tag but also hunt any general unit. Almost all Montana tags have an archery an rifle season. I just don’t want someone putting in for any tag in Wyoming thinking they can archery hunt, rifle hunt, and then hunt a general unit. That is not the case.
As always, check the regulations as they are subject to change. My specific tag in WY is for the GENERAL elk, and the particular unit I hunt does allow for the archery option in addition to rifle after you draw the tag. I have only hunted this unit with a type 6 tag, but will have the points to draw a type 1 in 2022.

FitToHunt

Yep, WY is the plan this year. Should have enough points to draw a general tag this year. Will do archery, then rifle if necessary.

Might do CO muzzleloader too.

Reactions: Bonecollector

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Yep, WY is the plan this year. Should have enough points to draw a general tag this year. Will do archery, then rifle if necessary.

Might do CO muzzleloader too.
I shot a decent bull in CO with my muzzleloader Sept. 2019, and plan on a cow elk muzzy hunt this year. In 2022, I should have A WY tag and hope to spend a lot of time in the mountains camping with bows and guns.

Reactions: Kodiak

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
One thing that I've done since the early 80's is keep very detailed journals on all the days I hunt, trap, fish. Conditions, times I started, how far from the road, anything that I may not remember from year to year. That's been very valuable to me over time.

The other thing that I do, is to understand WHY I found elk, deer, pronghorn, or anything else I'm hunting in a particular area. Was it because they were there for security? Feeding? Thermal relief? Weather? Pushed there? Animals do nothing by accident, they live deliberate lives trying to dodge predators and survive in the woods. I also make notes about understanding why I was successful, and also why I wasnt successful.

That really helps with making better decisions when faced with similar situations in coming years and on future hunts. For instance, I have a pretty good idea where to find elk in the areas I hunt if the weather is hot and dry. I have a pretty good idea where to find those same elk if the weather is 10 below zero and a foot of snow.

Also, being versatile in HOW you hunt elk is key too, IMO. Some areas I hunt, sitting and glassing and finding elk first is the key. If I don't see them, I move until I do, then plan out a stalk and get after it. Other places, I may still hunt through thick timber. Other places, may sit on saddles when elk respond to pressure or be moving because of deep snow in higher elevations. If its hot and dry, probably wont find me glassing south slopes at noon, for example.

Takes a lot of time and IMO, a person never really figures it all out, and never will. But, much the way the animals I hunt do things deliberately, I do the same when hunting. I'm going to put myself in a position at a time and place with the conditions in mind to maximize my chances. Most good elk hunters I've hunted with all did the same.

Reactions: Kodiak and RICMIC

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
One thing that I've done since the early 80's is keep very detailed journals on all the days I hunt, trap, fish. Conditions, times I started, how far from the road, anything that I may not remember from year to year. That's been very valuable to me over time.

The other thing that I do, is to understand WHY I found elk, deer, pronghorn, or anything else I'm hunting in a particular area. Was it because they were there for security? Feeding? Thermal relief? Weather? Pushed there? Animals do nothing by accident, they live deliberate lives trying to dodge predators and survive in the woods. I also make notes about understanding why I was successful, and also why I wasnt successful.

That really helps with making better decisions when faced with similar situations in coming years and on future hunts. For instance, I have a pretty good idea where to find elk in the areas I hunt if the weather is hot and dry. I have a pretty good idea where to find those same elk if the weather is 10 below zero and a foot of snow.

Also, being versatile in HOW you hunt elk is key too, IMO. Some areas I hunt, sitting and glassing and finding elk first is the key. If I don't see them, I move until I do, then plan out a stalk and get after it. Other places, I may still hunt through thick timber. Other places, may sit on saddles when elk respond to pressure or be moving because of deep snow in higher elevations. If its hot and dry, probably wont find me glassing south slopes at noon, for example.

Takes a lot of time and IMO, a person never really figures it all out, and never will. But, much the way the animals I hunt do things deliberately, I do the same when hunting. I'm going to put myself in a position at a time and place with the conditions in mind to maximize my chances. Most good elk hunters I've hunted with all did the same.
Pretty good synopsis here. Good thread to post a few pictures of previous bulls with some tidbit lessons you learned Buzz...

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
You sound like you're about as close as you can be without living in the thick of it.

What does a guy who succeeds all the time do diff? Makes me think of the gambler song - knows when to hold em, knows when to folk em, blah blah blah. Only way you get there is to be there and know the animals.

A guide is a guide for the area he hunts. Most guides I have met have been lost outside their core areas. Some are great - I just aint met them. Too much mystic aura around "guides" - just calling em guides seems to give them a magical power but it's just from spending 2 or 3 months watching the animals in that area and knowing where they hang.